It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

lisamom2lucas HB User
supraclavicular lymph nodes.

I have a swollen left supraclavicular lymph node. It is small, non-tender, moveable and kind of "squishy" feeling. I also have a small lymph node on the right side of my neck -- these have been present for about a month. I have not been sick.

I also have a swollen lymph node on the front side of my neck (jugular) that has been present for 3 months.

I went to an ENT who said he didn't feel anything "suspcious" but because of my anxiety level would do a CT scan if I preferred.

I went ahead w/ the CT scan that showed the nodes but nothing of "clinical significance".

My ENT said I could "follow up with him in a month if I want to" but said there was no reason. But the nodes still aren't gone 3 weeks later.

What could this be? All I keep reading about is "Virchow's Node" and how this can indicate cancer. Should I have a biopsy? I don't know why my ENT wouldn't suggest one?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: supraclavicular lymph nodes..

Lymph nodes that are over 1 cm in diameter that persist for over a month with no explanation should be biopsied. Only one needs to be removed. Have you had a blood count done? That would be helpful as well as a chest xray.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

lisamom2lucas HB User
Re: supraclavicular lymph nodes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Lymph nodes that are over 1 cm in diameter that persist for over a month with no explanation should be biopsied. Only one needs to be removed. Have you had a blood count done? That would be helpful as well as a chest xray.
I need to get the report from ENT but I don't think they're bigger than 1cm. I've had a CBC which came back normal.

I had a chest x-ray due to chest pains in the ER during the same period of time, not bc of the lymph nodes.. would that suffice do you think or do I need an x-ray specifically looking for something related to the nodes?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: supraclavicular lymph nodes.

The chest xray you had should suffice, as the lymph nodes in chest would have been seen if enlarged. Nodes in the front of neck often stay slightly enlarged in people who have frequent respiratory infections, sore throats, tonsillitis, etc. The only one a bit out of ordinary is the supraclavicular one. I think I would see an internist, get all node areas checked as well as liver and spleen on exam, and see what an internist thinks. Many viruses, like mono, can cause enlarged enlarged lymph nodes, and sometimes the infection is mild enough there are no other symptoms. Autoimmune disorders can cause them too, and an investigation can be done later if the nodes get bigger, don't resolve, or you develop symptoms.

Closed Thread