It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

cattt HB User
two lumps in trapezius muscle?

Iíve had these two lumps (one on each shoulder) for a few years now (maybe longer, but that was when I first noticed them). They are deep in the muscle, but when I shrug my shoulders I can feel them perfectly right behind the collar bone in the trapezius muscle. I really donít know what they are, but Iíll tell you about what they feel like. When I apply a lot of pressure on them directly or try to massage theem, they are extremely tender and painful. I can barely apply pressure for more than a few seconds. They are rock hard and immovable(which scares me). Theyíre about the size of a penny and exactly symmetrical on both sides, everything from their location, size, texture is identical to one another. When I donít shrug my shoulders, I can barely feel them, I have to dig really deep.

My history with my back and neck: I had a really bad injury to my back in 6th grade when I went to camp; I ran into to the bathroom to get something and fell straight on my back on the hard concrete. Then, a little less than a year later I got into a car accident. I got X-Rays after the car accident but they said everything was fine and let me go home. In middle school and high school I would carry extremely heavy backpacks and purses (I carried several text books in there, my friends used to joke about it a lot lol). Thatís actually what made me notice it in the first place; I was carrying two textbooks in my purse and felt it hit something that felt like a nerve and went to massage it and as I shrugged my shoulders up I felt the lumps.

Also, for years (iím talking 4 or 5 years) I would spend endless hours on the internet after school and had horrible posture. I actually had a lot of back pain from it, I donít know if that counts for something but I thought Iíd include it.

Iíve tried going to the doctor about it before but he didnít really seem interested and said it was because I lifted my shoulder and that was why (doesnít even make any sense).

If anyone has had these lumps before, or know what they could be please please let me know. Thank you! (and sorry itís so long!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: two lumps in trapezius muscle?

Sounds like trigger points. They are very common, especially in the upper trapezius. And with your history of neck injuries and back pain, you are particularly likely to get them.

I've had trigger points for a good many years now. I manage them through stretching, weight lifting, gentle massage, heat and ice. They aren't dangerous, but they are associated with painful sore muscles.

Look up trigger points, and let me know if you have more questions.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
(female)

cattt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Sounds like trigger points. They are very common, especially in the upper trapezius. And with your history of neck injuries and back pain, you are particularly likely to get them.

I've had trigger points for a good many years now. I manage them through stretching, weight lifting, gentle massage, heat and ice. They aren't dangerous, but they are associated with painful sore muscles.

Look up trigger points, and let me know if you have more questions.
Thank you for responding.
Wow, I looked it up and I fit a lot of the criteria for these "trigger points"! Very interesting, I've never heard of these before. I especially do get that referred pain in my shoulder/upper arm/and neck area after applying pressure for a long time. And I have experienced these electric shock feelings in my neck that make me jump! (I'm not sure if that could be associated with trigger points but I read 'shocks' on a website so I'm assuming.)
The only thing I'm wondering is, are these trigger points usually hard and set in place of the muscle? And do you have to have fibromyalgia to have these trigger points (I keep reading about fibro).

Last edited by cattt; 08-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, sometimes they are hard and fixed in place, especially ones that have been there for a long time. I do get electric shock feelings when the muscle spasms get really hard sometimes.

Fibromyalgia? Not necessarily. People who have many trigger points all over their body are often diagnosed with fibro, but almost everyone has SOME trigger points at some point in their life. If you just have two, you probably don't have fibro.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
(female)

cattt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Yes, sometimes they are hard and fixed in place, especially ones that have been there for a long time. I do get electric shock feelings when the muscle spasms get really hard sometimes.

Fibromyalgia? Not necessarily. People who have many trigger points all over their body are often diagnosed with fibro, but almost everyone has SOME trigger points at some point in their life. If you just have two, you probably don't have fibro.
Makes so much sense! That's a huge relief, they've been there for years, haven't grown at all but are just so rock hard and painful. I was always really scared about them since I didn't know what they were. And the electric shocks come out of nowhere, it's crazy. I'll be sitting in class and it'll feel like someone has stabbed me in the neck, very painful.
I also have this hard lump in the back of my neck, right underneath my hairline/skull to the left side that I think I should go in about since I believe that's where your lymph nodes are? The thing that's weird about this lump is that it completely disappears when I move my head to the right or look down, I have no idea what it is.
Thank you for your help! I feel very relieved about these muscle lumps now!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Actually, the back of the neck right below the skull is also a really common place for trigger points to form. That's still part of the trapezius muscle, the uppermost attachment point. And when you've got one bad trigger point, it tends to produce others nearby.

Stretch several times a day, carefully. If that doesn't resolve it, consider seeing a doctor who does trigger point injections to treat the main ones in your shoulders. Basically, the doctor injects a little tiny bit of numbing medicine into it, and the combination of that and the needle itself gets a badly knotted muscle to relax all at once. Sometimes it hurts, but just for a few seconds.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
(female)

cattt HB User

That actually makes a lot of sense! It's been there about a year and hasn't grown since, it was formed after a really severe panic attack.
I'm thinking of joining a yoga class, I've been reading that it helps relax the muscles, and I definitely need that! My neck and shoulder muscles are all rock hard, it's unbelievable.
Thank you again for your help!

Closed Thread