It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
(female)

blessedmomma HB User
reassurance for the newbie

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the healthboards and have a few questions. I was hoping that some BTDT folks could help with some reassurance.
My teenage son has a soft tissue mass in his shoulder joint between his rotator and clavicle. We have seen three Docs the last week ~ the last one being the Orthopedic surgeon. We are scheduled for a contrast MRI this Sat.

The Doctors aren't talking. No one will say what they think or are really looking for, just that we have to get the MRI done. The mass can be seen while looking at him ... it appeared suddenly and is painless.
We can guess what the Docs are looking for or trying to rule out. We are just nervous with the lack of dialouge with the Docs. When we asked the ortho what he suspected he said he won't comment. That this is a step by step process and the first step is finding out how imbedded this is and the blood suppy to it. Not reassuring.

Guess we are looking for anyone with some expierence with this. The wait is hard on us as adults, it is especially hard for out 17 year old son ... who is old enough to hear what was being left unsaid in the Docs office.
Also, how long do you think we will have to wait for the mri results. It is a holiday weekend, so we are unsure if the tech will tell us anything or not. It is being done at the children's hospital.
Thank you for any and all replies. :-)

Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: reassurance for the newbie

I can't really help you with this, as I have no knowledge of this particular type of mass. But I did want to encourage you to be assertive with your son's doctors. Let them know that sometimes it might be easier if they tell you all the things it COULD be than if they leave you to worry about the worst thing it could be.

It should probably take a couple of business days for the doctor to receive the report from the MRI. If you don't hear from him after 3-4 business days, call his office and just remind them gently that you are on pins and needles waiting for some answers, so can they have the doctor contact you as soon as possible. I have found that being very nice to both the doctors and the office staff, while still being fairly assertive, works small wonders.

But the doctor is absolutely right that this is a step-by-step process and one thing doctors hate to do is speculate without having enough information to be definitive. So sometimes the best question is simply, "and what's the next step after this?"

Tough to wait out a long holiday weekend, though. My thoughts are with you and your son.

Ruth

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
blessedmomma (09-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread