It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #1

claireoz HB User
Could constant dizzinness be due to candida??

Hi there.

I'm another dizzy person who is exploring alternate means of getting well as it seems that conventional doctors don't want to help or listen to me anymore. I actually have been to a homeopath, whose remedies unfortunately didn't help me, and a couple of naturopaths, who mainly gave me nutritional advice, which I changed, but didn't really help either. I was actually wondering, after reading a few things on here about people's sinus problems being fungal in nature, whether I might have been suffering from candida all these months.

The dizziness has been constant 24/7 for about 10 months now, but it's not vertigo, and I've had vestibular testing done. It's more of a spaced out, floaty, kind of drunk feeling, and I almost always have a headache. I basically feel "hungover". Before I got this bad, the dizziness used to be intermittent, and I would only notice it really badly when I had a drink of wine, suddenly I would feel as though I'd had 10 wines. I've heard that with candida this happens because the plants are already releasing acetaldehyde into the body so you get drunk so much quicker. I also used to feel sick for like 3 days at a time each month, and then it would go away. During that time I would have a gross taste in my mouth the whole time, sort of putrid, like my stomach was fermenting. I even had a home pregnancy test cos I couldn't work out what was going on!? Now for some reason that hsan't happened in ages, but the dizziness has come to stay. I never get thrush so that makes me wonder if I could really have candida, but nothing has helped me. My allergies and asthma have gotten worse, and my sinuses showed up badly inflamed on a CT scan. All I can do is keep taking antihistamines and ibuprofen for the headaches, but the dizziness never goes away! I feel sorry for the other "desperate dizzy" poster because I can relate!!

If anyone thinks they can shed any light on this, or has had similar symptoms from a candida overgrowth, please reply. I'm going crazy and need my job and my life back!

Claire in Oz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
(female)

Kime HB User
Re: Could constant dizzinness be due to candida??

Candida can cause some strange symptoms, that's for sure. Have you tried going on an anti-candida diet for a week? My son is affected by candida and if he eats sugar it takes about 2 days for his symptoms to peak and a couple more for them to go away. You probably wouldn't notice much improvement until the 5th day. You don't have to have thrush to have candida but usually people who have a problem with candida have had their digestive tracts messed up by taking a lot of antibiotics. Have you ever had a lot of antibiotics?

Another strong possibility is that you have an allergy to something or more than one thing. Take a look at the book "brain allergies". These allergies can cause even more different types of symptoms than candida and I am positive that an allergy could cause dizziness but I don't know if candida can. If it is something you eat the symptoms should disappear after a 4 day fast. If you don't want to or can't fast try going for 4 days eating an extremey limited diet, such as nothing but brown rice (unless you already eat a lot of rice, but rice is not a common allergen), fruits except citrus, and vegetables. This diet would probably help if it is the candida, too, but not as much as quickly. Or just don't eat anything that you usually eat more than once a week. The vegetables usually aren't the problem, so you can eat them. Butter is OK but avoid condiments because they have so many chemicals and sometimes hidden ingredients in them plus they usually have some form of sugar. If you try the diet you should know that with allergies sometimes the symptoms get worse for the first couple of days because you are going through a kind of withdrawal and you might crave the very food that is causing your symptoms, but if you hang in there it will go away.

Another thing that really helps with allergies, including the milder food allergies, is taking vitamin C to bowel tolerance, you can look it up on the internet. My husband just found out yesterday that along with C he needs extra niacin to keep is lungs clear from asthma, so that might help, too. He uses niacin and I don't know if niacinamide would be just as good, or if it is the flushing from niacin that helps to clear histamine from his system that helps his symptoms. He was taking both all summer with good success and then he slacked off and after a week his asthma started again and we thought it was the vitamin C along that was helping because he was taking the niacin just because we read it was good to do, but after three days of just the vitamin C his lungs still weren't clear so he took 800mg of niacin and a few hours later his lungs were clear! He started taking the niacin a couple of weeks before the C so we know that the niacin alone doesn't work for his asthma, he has to have both. You have to take the C to a level that is close to bowel tolerance for it to work, so if you take, say, 5 grams a day that probably won't do anything for your allergies or asthma. One person we know takes it for allergies to mold, etc, and 6 grams twice a day is enough for him. My husband takes about 18 grams twice a day, my son takes way more and more often. Each person is different.

Do you eat cheese often? I say that because my son has a problem with cheese and mold, and candida, but the vitamin C he takes seems to take care of the symptoms that he gets from the mold, but he used to always crave cheese and want to eat a lot of it every day and then we found out it was causing part of his symptoms.

The candida can be very hard to get rid of. My son was on Diflucan for a month and he still can't eat anything with sugar without having his symptoms get worse, but as long as he sticks to the diet he is OK so if your problems are caused by allergy or candida you should be able to get good control over them.

Last edited by Kime; 08-30-2004 at 08:51 AM.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
(female)

Kime HB User

Hi amberk, can you tell us more about your dad's candida program? Does he have to stay off sugar forever or can he eat sweets now? I ask because my son is not cooperative about not eating sweets and so we have to watch him like a hawk all the time because he gets bizarre symptoms from the candida and we are hoping that we can find some way of getting him over the candida enough so that eating candy won't cause so much trouble. He is already on a lot of supplements and he took Diflucan for a month.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:32 PM   #4

viver HB User

I think that it could be partly due to candida, but I would
guess that there are other factors involved as well.
I didn't see any details or your past diet (food, drink, snacks),
lifestyle, health history or other issues that might make
it easier to determine possibilities. Without additional information
my best guess would be a combination of exposure to substances
causing a toxicity and/or severe allergic reaction, building
emotional or physical stress and a food plan that may not be
ideal.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:55 PM   #5

claireoz HB User

Thank you everyone!

There are a lot of things here for me to try and I have actually made a booking with a naturopath who tests for different food allergies, as well as the presence of candida and other viral infections in the blood (?) or maybe it's all through electronic testing. Anyway, I feel that is probably the best thing to do rather than just blindly guessing which foods to cut out, or going on a long candida program for no reason.

Yes, I did have a progressively worse lifestyle prior to getting this sick. As a child I suffered from lots of asthma and allergies and was sick with a chest infection or cold about once a month. My mum had all this under very good control with me having to eat a healthy diet, no dairy (as I was found to be allergic to it), and she made sure I was always warm, ate meals on time that included lots of fruit and veg, very rarely had sweets, just as a treat, I remember chewing a Vit C tab a day, and I always got plenty of rest. I moved out of home last year and as you can imagine, my lifestyle went downhill very quickly. I ate lots of take away and frozen meals, more sweets than ever, and drank so much more alcohol, as my flatmate drank pretty much every day. She also smoked which wasn't good for my asthma. I went out all the time and would go out in winter with not much on, etc. I definitely know now looking back that these things would have had a major influence in me being where I am today. I just didn't realise how precarious my immune system was and how well mum had always kept it healthy. Now I'm paying for being silly and careless and having to rebuild slowly and do lots of detective work to find out how to help myself! I really appreciate the input and will keep you guys posted on my progress, it might help one of you! I might try taking that niacin for my asthma as it is with me everyday now. I was on a preventer puffer which contains cortisone, but someone told me to try and stop taking it as your lungs become reliant on it and it can cause more problems in the end. Since being off it my lungs are worse than ever! and I am coughing up a lot of mucus. Maybe the inhaler was suppressing all that (?).

Anyway, thank you all and I hope I can find some relief soon.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
(female)

Kime HB User

For asthma my husband needs niacin AND vitamin C. Neither of them alone does the job. We just realized that this past week.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireoz
The dizziness has been constant 24/7 for about 10 months now, but it's not vertigo, and I've had vestibular testing done. It's more of a spaced out, floaty, kind of drunk feeling, and I almost always have a headache. I basically feel "hungover".
Claire, have you had your thyroid tested? What you have described is one of the main symptoms of hypothyroidism. It's also one that I suffer from. It used to happen just a few days a month starting 7 months ago and now it's almost daily. Headaches often accompany the dizziness as does nausea (although not always). If you're seeing a homeopath / naturopath you might mention it if they don't - naturopaths are often better at treating this than regular doctors (or endocrinologists).

Just something to think about - I know when I was trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with me the more information I had the better.

Cheers,
Nat

Old 09-08-2004, 01:57 AM   #8

claireoz HB User

Yes the thyroid is the other cause for concern. I had it tested in the very beginning of all this and the TSH was 13. However it has progressively gotten lower by itself everytime I've had it tested. The thing is I have very high antibodies (1600, normal range <100) and this new doctor I've gone to is treating me with a mix of T4 and T3 for that. Do you think that is safe? Even though my TSH is normal (1.8). Also she is treating me with DHEA because mine is low. In addition to this she found high candida antibodies and is giving me medication for that. I'm really not sure what is the right path and so I'm just trusting that she's had results from her treatment.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireoz
However it has progressively gotten lower by itself everytime I've had it tested. The thing is I have very high antibodies (1600, normal range <100) and this new doctor I've gone to is treating me with a mix of T4 and T3 for that. Do you think that is safe? Even though my TSH is normal (1.8).
She's doing the right thing With antibodies you have the autoimmune type of HypoT (Hashimotos), the ABs are going to destroy your thyroid sooner or later. Once you have begun treatment TSH becomes meaningless and shouldn't be used to measure progress; it's a pituitary hormone, you want to be testing your FT4 and FT3's to gauge progress.

Count yourself fortunate; most thyroid patients have to fight to get a T4/T3 combo.

A low FT4 or FT3 would explain why you feel how you do, don't go by the TSH (which technically is still high - most women feel best when their TSH is suppressed closer to 1), go by how you feel and the FTs.

Nat

Old 10-11-2004, 09:36 AM   #10
(female)

dogologist HB User

Hi Claire - if you don't get any improvement soon, try and see a neuro-otologist (not a neurologist!). I have the exact same symptoms as you - an ENT doctor did some vestibular tests and said it wasn't my inner ear, so I did the whole candida cleanse thing for over a year and got nowhere, tried various thyroid meds and got nowhere, had three different lots of allergy tests done and got nowhere, had my mercury fillings removed, spent a fortune on homoeopathy and cranial osteopathy and I don't know what else, and got nowhere. I eventually found an article by a neuro-otologist describing my symptoms *exactly* and saying that ENT tests are notorious for missing them. I had to fight for over a year to get a referral to the right person, but just last week I had more sensitive vestibular tests done that confirm a treatable condition called uncompensated labyrinthitis that I've probably had for 13 years. Everything else - candida, migraine, inflamed sinuses, slightly low thyroid - has just been aggravating it, but the neuro-otologist has finally given me a glimmer of hope that I can get back to reality! Hope this is helpful for you - there's lots more info on the inner ear board and lots more people who feel like this. Good luck.
Ann

Last edited by dogologist; 10-11-2004 at 09:42 AM.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
(female)

alltaurus HB User

Just wondering if you found anything out? Almost sounds like an Adrenal problem too?????

Closed Thread