It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
manuka honey with candida?

i'm aware that it is best to typically avoid sugars and yeast as part of the fight against candida. my question is: can manuka honey be used by a person with candida? i know it is honeh and contains sugars, but it is effective at treating digestive problems, so would it have an anti-fungal/ yeast effect or would it just be a source of sugar for the candida yeast to feed on?

alex.

p.s. i don't have candida. this is just a question out of interest as i work in a healthfood store where we sell manuka honey but i can't find any detailed information on the stuff that would lead me to an answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
(male)

Barrygood HB User
Thumbs up Re: manuka honey with candida?

Hello....Manuka Honey or any other kind of honey will raise your blood sugar levels. So to answer your question, it would not be beneficial to someone trying to reduce sugar consumption in treating candida. Ginger tea and Aloe Vera Gel would be more beneficial to digestion depending what the problem was.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: manuka honey with candida?

But, it's not the fact that the sugar raises blood sugar levels that the issue with candida, it's the fact that the sugar acts as a FOOD source for the yeast. my question is relating to whether because the honey is effective against other digestive ailments, eg. ulcers, because of its special enzyme content, would it be effective in some way at destroying the candida (does the enzyme effect outway the fact the honey still has sugar in it basically?). indeed aloe vera and ginger are good for digestive complaints, the latter being effective against the candida yeast, but I need to know if manuka honey can be used by candida sufferers as it would be nice to tell them they can have SOMETHING sweet in their diet.

alex.

Last edited by moderator4; 12-03-2005 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Repeating the post is not needed.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
(male)

Barrygood HB User

Hello Alex....Manuka honey or anyother kind of honey in general, is not the greatest for "Digestive Problems". I would use it for adding to a mug of bioled water or tea. It tastes great and is soothing to the throat. I would never recommend it as being good for or intended for a treatment for Candidiasis. The best treatment again for Fungus is to keep your immune System healthy. get enough sleep, eat great food for your body that has positive energy and stay away from negative energy (stress, lousy people, hot humid conditions, unhealthy life styles) and take appropiate Rx medications.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Adding it to boiled water would destroy the enzyme activity of the live honey.
manuka honey is actually very good for digestive complaints. it is very healing and soothing on the epithelial layer, whether it be internally for the digestive tract (eg. ulcers) or externally for the skin (eg. eczema). maybe it wouldn't be the BEST for candida; like you said strengthening the immune system but also using an anti yeast/ fungal agent like the herb Pau D'Arco, restoring intestinal flora balance with Acidophilus and avoiding yeasts and sugars in the diet. the last point of diet brings me back to my question. even if its not the best for candida it has been shown to have an anti-fungal action EXTERNALLY. I imagine it would be the same internally but does the sugar mean it can't be used still as the candida will have a food source, or does the (possible?) anti-yeast action cancel out the fact it is high in sugar, meaning it is NEUTRAL in the fight against candida and therefore a permitted (although sweet) food for candida sufferers?

alex.

Last edited by moderator4; 12-03-2005 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Repeating the Post is not needed~~

Closed Thread