It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Candida nonsense

Some researchers have suggested that most chronic sinus infections are caused by fungus, specifically candida albicans. But following my surgery, the gunk pulled out of my sinuses was cultured and analyzed, and they found zero fungus. A friend of mine also had his gunk cultured, and no fungus was found.

The whole candida diet thing is a scam. There is no medical evidence to prove it works, and the medical establishment dismisses it. can you have excess fungus in your intestines? Sure. Eat some yogurt! The fungus doesn't invade the rest of the body -there is no evidence of that.

So I thought I would put my 2 cents in.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Candida nonsense

I agree with you, sort of. I also have had surgery, and when it was cultured, it was strictly bacterial.

But I think Candida is very misunderstood. I wholeheartedly agree that it isn't the cause of chronic sinusitis. But candida occurs in the body as a RESULT of the chronic infections, and more accurately the result of constant use of antibiotics. Taking a lot of antibiotics repeatedly definitely messes with your flora balance and can cause candida. If you have candida, the diet can help a little, but the real solution is to get rid of the bacterial infection that is the root cause of it. In my case, that involved sinus surgery and the filling of some cavities that had gone unnoticed by a previous dentist. Once that is done, you can replenish your good flora with yougart or probiotic supplements.

So while I agree with you it isn't a cause of sinusitis, I disagree that it is a total crock. The medical establishment does recognize it, but only in localized thrush infections (vaginal and oral) caused by antibiotics, or the extreme fully body cases of immunocrompromised people.

MY ENT, who is in no way an alternative doctor, actually told me to get some probiotics before my sinus surgery, because he was going to pump in a lot of antibiotics with the IV.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 12-04-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #3

ladyhawkjr HB User

My husband has had two sinus surgeries, both were cultured. Both were fungus. Don't know about any diet. Still lookin for a cure.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
(male)

cappy7 HB User

Where can you buy probiotics? My allergies have been a mess since April and I was on a round of antibiotics back in JUne and think I have a candida problem. My tounge is white sometimes and I have this metallic taste in my mouth sometimes. I've also been experiencing floaters in my vision. I've researched this and candida can cause this. This all started after my round of antibiotics and a round of prednisone.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

thegardener HB User

If there is an overgrowth of candida in the intestines then the flora is not balanced and the intestine doesn't function as well as it should (the intestine is where your immune cells are so your immune system would not be optimal either). There is also vaginal yeast infections which have to be treated. All health food stores have probiotics in the refrigerator section.

Last edited by thegardener; 08-23-2006 at 05:12 PM.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:09 AM   #6
(male)

cappy7 HB User

thanks. is there a specific brand I should be looking for?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

thegardener HB User

We use Solaray. Consumer report did some tests a while back and if I remember correctly most brands delivered the promised live billions of microorganisms. Same with the yogurts. They all delivered what was promised.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy7
Where can you buy probiotics? My allergies have been a mess since April and I was on a round of antibiotics back in JUne and think I have a candida problem. My tounge is white sometimes and I have this metallic taste in my mouth sometimes. I've also been experiencing floaters in my vision. I've researched this and candida can cause this. This all started after my round of antibiotics and a round of prednisone.

Thanks
Another word for probiotics is ACIDOLPHILUS, you can get it in yogurt or capsule form. If you buy the capsules, make sure they're found in the refrigerator section of the health food store.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

This subject really interests me. I have posted quite a few times and have been chasing the cause of my symptoms. Always sinus issues and sometimes muscle aches and major fatigue, that bitter/metalic taste, coated tongue and some significant bloating and a "fever" like feeling, I was suffering from major vertigo and stiill do on occasion to name a few...

I'm seeing an Allergist who really believes in this whole candida thing. He had me do a stool study and it came back as positive for candida overgrowth. He has me on a probiotic and just started me on diflucan (spelling). He thinks that alot of my problem is caused by this candida or fungal whatever... And that my previous high exposure to mold and the many courses of antibiotics are the culprit.

I'm not convinced, but after having so many Doctors come up empty I'll give this a try.

By the way, I also have some cavities that I have neglected. They show no signs of inflamation and while my wife has said for a year that they are the culprit I have discounted this, as the dentist I see has said I need to have them fixed she doesn't se them as being the problem. Sneezy, you have my interest...

Any wisdom from anyone? I really want to find the way back to being the hard charger I was before this mess started.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Old 08-24-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
(male)

cappy7 HB User

I am basically experiencing the same symptoms. I am leaning towards candida as well. I have most of the symptoms and it sort of makes sense. I just started seeing an allergist and I'm allergic to various molds and dust mites. I think I've had a mild case of this, but this allergy season really set it off. To top it all off, I was on a round of antibiotics and predisone. This makes the situation a lot worse. I took some garlic supplements tonight and will continue to. I heard garlic is very helpful. I'm going to purchase some probiotics this weeked as well.

Let me know how you make out.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

It looks like what is nonsense to one person is the Real McCoy for others.

What starts out as bacterial sinusitis in some cases ends up as Candida when the bacteria are wiped out w/antibiotics.

If you pin down most MDs, they will admit to the reality of Candida. It's the cause of death in many people who suffer from severe immune system suppression resulting from aggressive cancer treatment. Which is NOT to say that sinusitis will likely kill you -- just to say, if you pin down MDs, there IS a reality there, Candida is not a myth.

Whether C. Albicans is the cause of ALL sinusitis -- probably not. And the opposite extreme, that Candida NEVER causes sinusitis, is also untrue.

There's a fine distinction to be made between overwhelming Candida sinus infection & exposure to small amts of molds or Candida resulting in allergic sinusitis in those who are mold-sensitive. Gut-candida can lead to symptoms elsewhere.

In the absence of a positive sinus culture for Candida, the anti-Candida diet has been found to be helpful to many individuals with mold sensitivity/allergy & sinusitis.

Personally I am very wary of ANY health care professional (or lay opinion) that presents things as black & white. There's a lot of individual biochemical & genetic variation that today's commonly- practiced "medicine by probability" doesn't take into account. But hopefully these dark ages will soon be past. Many forces are at work changing the landscape of healthcare. Not the least of which are health-care seekers who are not content with benedictions from MDeities.

Best wishes.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

A lot of inspired thoughts in this discussion.

I have a suggestion that might help this sinus problem. The amino acid n-acetyl cysteine is used for chronic bronchitus by orthomolecular doctors. Since it is so effective at cleaning out mucous from the lungs, I'm thinking it might help sinuses too. It has helped my allergies to cats and also aids the liver in detoxification.

Acidophilus: A new technology out of Japan is revolutionizing the way probiotics are delivered. It is called True Delivery Technology using a "pearl" type capsule. Pearl Acidophilus is in a natural 3 layer coating that protects the bacteria from light, heat and stomach acid. It is stable at room temp for 18 months and does not need refrigeration. More expensive but you only need one capsule a day because all of the bacteria are delivered live to the intestine. I'll be switching to it next week.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
(male)

cappy7 HB User

Have any of you tried using or have heard ot ThreeLac? I just ordered some. The results sound amazing for clearing up candida. After reading much literature, I believe a lot of people have this problem and just don't know it because it is so misunderstood. I researched a simple test you can do in the morning to see if you have a candida problem. Upon waking in the morning, fill up a glass of water and work up some saliva and spit in the glass of water. If you spit forms what looks like little legs in the water you have a yeast problem. If it sinks to the bottom and is cloudy, you have a candida problem. If you didn't have a candida your spit would float on top of the water. I tried this test this morning and my spit formed what looked like little legs and floated to the bottom. According to the test, I have a candida problem. I will let you know how I make out with ThreeLac.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #14
(female)

storm12 HB User

I, too, am working with a doctor for Candida - my questionaire was high for it. Mostly, we started working on this because of my chronic hives and other seemingly unexplainable symptoms. I will say that since I cut out most refined sugar (and artificial sweetners) out of my diet, am taking antifungal meds and probiotics, things are a lot better!! My intake of benedryl as gone way down. I still have sinus issues, but a lot of other things have improved for the better.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #15
(male)

cappy7 HB User

what are some of the anti-fungal meds you are taking?

Closed Thread