It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User
Need Help Planning a Serious Candida Diet

I really need to do something about my Candida infection, but just don't know what to do. I've made numerous posts here years ago relating to various digestive issues; the first was an H. Pylori infection and the most recent (about a year or two ago) was asking for some advice on a Candida diet. I've previously mentioned the many symptoms I live with, so I won't go into detail again. Suffice to say that I do not have much of a life; I'm unable to travel far, have a job outside the house, have any social life at all, and barely able to get anything done in a day. I can't sit for more than a few minutes at a time, which prevents me from doing things like long car rides, serious conversation (except over the phone, when I can be walking around), work at the computer, etc. I haven't been able to eat things like peanut butter, ice cream, or chocolate in YEARS. I have overactive salivary glands and must spit frequently, which only further seals the coffin on any social life. All this on account of this miserable little bacteria.
It's clear that I've got to do something soon, because there are health problems that are worsening and must be dealt with soon - and all require sitting for periods of time that would presently be agonzing for me. My dental health is probably the most urgent need, as I haven't had any work done in 13 years and some problems are now beginning to cause a lot of discomfort.
There are two reasons I haven't done anything about it yet; a lack of support, and the inability to work out a diet that I could live with. Nobody in my family understands what I go through, nor do they understand the complicated and delicate job of trying to cure these problems. The same with the medical profession - they've been very little help at all, and I don't know of any doctor in my area (if even the country) who specializes in candida treatment or will even acknowledge the existence of the condition.
Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, are the strict limitations on food during a Candida diet. It's hard enough to eliminate all sugars, but yeasts too? How is a person supposed to eliminate all breads from their diet? And what about milk? I've read that this too is supposed to be eliminated. Milk and bread are an essential part of a persons diet - their absence couldn't be a good thing.
The bottom line is that I need to do something and soon, and I need some serious help planning a diet that I can live with, at least for a month or two. It's all so complicated.... so many foods to avoid, so many treatment options (and most probably don't work), and so little support.
Here are the most pressing problems with working out a diet:
-Sugar
This may be the hardest thing to eliminate - it's in almost everything we eat! Stevia is a viable substitute but that means I must cook all my own food, as the evil sugar companies have prevented Stevia from being used commercially. Unfortunately Stevia recipes are limited, and substituting it in regular sugar-based recipes is a real trial-and-error process.
One resource suggests that pure molasses (and even pure maple syrup) can be used - not sure how credible this information is.
-Yeast (breads)
This doesn't even make sense.... how could anything baked at hundreds of degrees still contain living bacteria? Furthermore, bread is a basic food that would be very hard to live without. As long as you don't spread jelly, jam, or (sugared) peanut butter over it, how could this be a problem?
-Milk
This is where the diet gets really forbidding. Milk is an essential part of the diet, and even if a person stopped drinking it, they still couldn't avoid it in foods - it's used in just about everything.
What am I supposed to do.... starve to death? Patients recovering from stomach surgery can eat more than this!
I guess that's about all I can think of for now... to sum it up I need some serious help making a plan of attack. Suicide would be so much easier, but I just can't bring myself to do it (and believe me I've considered it many times).
Thanks for any advice you can offer..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Need Help Planning a Serious Candida Diet

Candida is really not a diet but a change in the way you eat for life. The Candida is close to many of the vegan diets adapted by Hollywood. I used to be a vegan and I was in the best health of my life. I still had plenty of energy to weight lift and run 5-6 days a week. I eventually had to start eating meat cause I was protein deficient. I only eat chicken. To this day I can not eat red meat. I tried not long ago and 12 hours later it came back up undigested.

I was a Vegan when I was 19-27. I started to eat meat I think at the age of 25. I am 38 now.

There are a couple of different types of vegan-ism.
Vegans eat only foods from plant origins, no foods of animal origin. No eggs, dairy products, or honey.
Lacto ovo vegetarian does not eat meat, fish or poultry, but eats eggs and milk and things made with them like cheese and yogurt.
Lacto vegetarians don't eat meat, fish, poultry or eggs, but will have dairy products in their diet. They'll drink milk, and eat ice cream not made with eggs, and eat yogurt and cheese. They will not eat things that contain eggs like baked goods, pancakes or veggie burgers that contain eggs.
Vegan's do not eat any fish, meat, poultry, eggs, honey, dairy products or foods that contain any of these products.

A macrobiotic diet which is close to the Candida diet is mainly a vegetarian diet, but macrobiotic diets include seafood. There is no meat products, no eggs or dairy products. Some vegetables are not allow on this diet either like potatos, peppers and eggplant, refined sugars or tropical fruits. It does allow Asian food like miso soup, root vegetables and sea vegetables

There is the Fruitarian who only eats fruits and vegetables. The Raw diet is only to eat food that has not been heated above 115 degrees.

Just make a decision and do it. Most of the food that is in your home will have to be gotten rid ot. So instead of throwing it away how about donating it to a shelter or food bank for the homeless.

Once you do make the choice to just do it the rest of the life style change comes easier. Good Luck

Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User

So in other words I'll never be able to eat sugar again? I think I'd rather choose suicide over a life of eating rabbit food. Going without sugar for a few weeks or months is hard enough, but a lifetime would be torture.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

musicman,

I think the whole concept of "candida infections" is a way to generate a LOT of money for people with no medical training.

Candida is a yeast...if there is an overgrowth it is treated with drugs precisely for that purpose.
Those undiagnosable infections that you PRESUME from a raft of questions like ARE YOU TIRED?...or DO YOU HAVE INDIGESTION...do you burp frequently...do your muscles ever ache? are a bunch of hooey.

I have a couple friends who swallowed this slliness hook line and sinker and spent years avoiding mushrooms, vinegar, soy, soy sauce, cheese, yoghurt and god knows what else. They also spen FORTUNES buying supplements (of course available ONLY by their practitioners.)
They came to their senses and EVENTUALLY found they were able to eat all these foods and the expeensive potions were disposable.

Along with the fairy tale of candida goes the fairy tale of "leaky bowel syndrome."

There are too many people claiming to be naturopaths, holistic nutritionists, or nutriopaths or god-knows what-o-paths making a lot of money ruining peoples lives with this made up disease: candidiasis.

I agree with the doctors...if you have candida, treat it with Nystatin, and it goes away. The "incurable" candida is quackery.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-10-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

You can eat sugar just not to much of it. Same goes for fat, yeast, oil etc to much is not good for you. Just eat in in moderation.

You do not have to do any of those diets I mentioned I was just sharing them with you.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 07-10-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #6
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User

What about milk? I can reduce that too, but not eliminate it entirely.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Even when I was part vegan I ate things that contained milk and eggs. I ate homemade fat free cheese cake, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese and bread. My main meals were homemade salads with sun dried tomatoes, crutons, 1/4 cup cheese, flax seed, nuts with any kind of fat free dressing or vinegar lemon pepper dressing. If you are watching your sodium the fat free dressing have a good amount in them .
I would eat rice and peas or lima beans with apple cider vinegar and lemon pepper. I made flaked mash potatoes with water and seasoning instead of milk and butter. I had lots of veggie burgers with fat free cheese. The fat free cheese has less than 5 grams of cholesterol. Pita bread stuffed with lettuce, cottage cheese cut up chicken free chicken meat, lemon pepper, apples cider vinegar.

Reducing any amount of what you already eat should bring you improvements.

I looked up if fiber can help yeast overgrowth and it does. How's your fiber? Are you getting at least 25 grams per day? More is better but 25 is a good start. Dr. Oz said that most Americans only get around 10 grams of fiber a day.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User

Well I admit my fiber intake isn't very good, probably less than 10 grams per day. Fact is, there are very few foods I can eat (or like), this will probably scare you but I don't eat any veggies at all, with the exception of the occasional potatoes. I just never liked the taste of vegetables, not even as a child.
Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough just how severe my candida problem is. I have such a problem with gas that I can't sit for more than a few minutes at a time. I haven't eaten ice cream, chocolate, donuts, or any particularly sweet foods in YEARS. I haven't been able to have a bedtime snack in 12 YEARS - that used to keep me up all night with indigestion, almost regardless of what I ate. I have chronic sinusitis and various other ailments I can't explain, all of which could possibly be linked to candida.
Further compounding the problem is gastritis (caused by a since-cured H. Pylori infection), an endoscopy found this several years ago. I have to take Prevacid to help prevent heartburn, it's not 100% effective and it has unpleasant side effects of its own.
What I'm trying to say here is that this is a severe Candida overgrowth that I've had for a long time. And trying to cure both this and gastritis at the same time is a juggling act I just can't figure out how to tackle.
Hope this gives you a better idea of my situation.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I understood your yeast problem. I just thought since you have not yet made a complete decision on which diet or foods to include or exclude that fiber would help get things moving.
There is a post on these forums about the Master Cleanser and how it rids the body of toxins and the build of up food debris that attaches to the walls of the intestines and colon. Not suggesting you do it but any detox would help eliminate things from your body. Things that do not come out with a normal bowel movement. Fiber is a good way to start things moving.

Insoluble fiber is a type of fiber that increase the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools. Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and those nasty veggies you do not like are good sources of insoluble fiber.
Soluble fiber is the type that dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. You can good amounts oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium.

While veggies are really good in vitamins you you can find just as much fiber in non veggie foods. I eat rye like crackers, oatmeal, or prunes. You can take Benefiber tablets or powder which I use to take. There are psyllium capsules that I also use to take from GNC. Now I take the purified psyllium husk powder form GNC in 8 ounces of water I find it works faster. It's 5 grams of fiber per glass. On the container it reads that it may affect how medications work and to take it at least 2 hours before or two hours after any medications. Now I've taken the stuff for years and not once have I ever seen that warning on any bottle. Wonder if it effects the way vitamins work?

Probiotics is also a route that has work well for many people.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrMusicman,
I'm a candida skeptic, so I'll lay that right out.

Who diagnosed your yeast overgrowth and how was it done? Where is your infection?
Did they use any agents SPECIFICALLY to kill yeast, like nystatin or ketoconazole.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-12-2007 at 04:32 AM.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:14 AM   #11
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User

The diagnosis, if you can call it that, was made by people on forums like this, based on the information I provided. No I have never used an anti-fungal - somehow I don't think the solution is that simple.
I don't mind eating a bit more fiber, but I don't want to do any of that nasty colon-cleansing stuff.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

If you ever see a doctor there is a chance that you may have to do the colon cleanse. Especially if you have to do a colonoscopy. Where they go in and look at your colon with a scope to find polyps and other problems.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Musicman,

I was wondering if you have ever read "The Yeast Connection Handbook" by William Crook. Two years ago, I was tested for food allergies and was told I was allergic to yeast. I went out and bought this book and it really opened my eyes to what's going on with my health. I have an old thread here about my experience with yeast allergy. Do a search on "Losing weight on Yeast-free Diet" in the Weight Loss forum.

Last edited by KittyLove; 07-12-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:48 AM   #14
(female)

NatashaG HB User

[SIZE="4"]Hi there,
I[FONT="Comic Sans MS"] am 26 years old and have been suffering from candida for
3 years, two years i had no clue what was wrong with me, doctors fobbed me off and i was left constantly craving sugar, feeling depressed, tired swollen, gaining weight. going to the gym 7 days a week making no difference whatso ever.
I self diagnosed after searching the internet for answers. I tried the strict diet, no sugar/carbs.. but after two weeks on the diet, my craving got so bad that would give in and binge. Back to square one i thought as i finished off all the cakes, bread, crisps and choclate.... feeling very ill.
This problem has effected my whole life, however.. my friend was that concerned about me, decided enough is enough he put in touch with a private doctor (his friend) who prescribed me LAMISIL...... what can i say, I AM SO MUCH BETTER and think this is gonna cure me. I have been taking it for 4 weeks now and i am so much better. My skin is clearing, im losing weight and im feeling better and better with each day.

I noticed immediatly on these tablets that my cravings COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED, i was full after a meal and my energy levels increased significantly. I dont what i would have done without these tablets. They are £104 for 6 weeks supply but i managed to visit my doctor, who AGREED to give them to me on precribtion after a long discussion and some pursuading as they DO NOT recognise this problem. She also said they wouldnt help BUT THEY HAVE. I cant tell you enough how bad the cravings were, i couldnt go a minute of the day without thinking about food and wanting chcolate. Now, i can easily say no and im not even thinking about food anymore.

I beleieve that there is an underlying issue to candida and i need to boost my immune system so i am sticking to the diet but, i am finding it so easy to do now, before, all i wanted was choclate pizza and all the bad things. I am glad in a way that this happened to me as i am now so health consious.

As well as lamisil is doing, i have also purchased Threelac so i am looking to taking that, after 3 years of hell, i can now see light at the tunnel and GET MY LIFE BACK!!!
Good luck with everyone who has this terrible terrible disease. Its the hardest thing to get rid of BUT WE CAN DO IT!

Best wishes to everyone with Candida, keep at it, it WILL go.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
posted by Mr. Musicman:The diagnosis, if you can call it that, was made by people on forums like this, based on the information I provided.
I think then you might be wise to dismiss "candidiasis" as the cause of your problems. The proper way to test for an infective agent is with a culture, just like the way they tested your H.pylorii.

I cannot tell exactly what symptoms you are referring to but if the "inability" to sit for any length of time refers mostly to bowel problems, you should have a proctoscopic examination to determine what the problem is. Any form of colitiis can make life a misery and it can take many forms.

Closed Thread