It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

help wanted :( HB User
Candida or something else?

ive been suffering for years and really cannot find whats wrong with me.im looking for help and advice from other with soimilar symtoms or exeprience with candida.
no, ive read a lot about candida, and im convinced its whats causing my problems but i know that most doctors dont take it seriously, and i dont want to get waste money on alternative treatment if i mite get conned.
my symptoms are
-CHRONIC post nasal drip that ive had various tests for and they cannot find the cause, they say there isnt one, i just have it
- REALLY BAD stomach problems... my stomach is so noisey all the time, especially if im hungry or if i lie down, but all the time, this is SEVERLY ruining my life. i have to eat to try and shut it up even if im not hungry, and it doesnt always help, i find myself craving food eapecially sugar and savoury things too
- constipation, lots of gas
-exhaustion, depression & Anxiety thats started to get really bad
- shortness of breath, no energy
-bad skin, excess hair, used to suffer from very heavy and painfull perdiods before i went on the pill

i dont know how to get help anymore. i tried the candida diet about 6 molnths ago, i only managed to stick to it for a bout amonth, but my stomach noises were a little better and my skin was better and i felt a little better in myself, but i dont know if that was just becasue i was eating healthier

does this sound like candida? is there any diagnoisis? what are the best treatmens? the diet is impossible
sorry its a long post, but im desperate, and suggestions would mean the world
many thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

lefta HB Userlefta HB User
Re: Candida or something else?

Hi,

I certainly wouldn't rule out Candida overgrowth, although I have a feeling many settle on that because there's so much info out there about it and it seems to fit the symptoms a lot of us have.

Many of us here have dysfunctional digestion/absorption. I'm starting to think it's more important to just think about improving overall intestinal health and not try to get bogged down in the quest to figure out exactly which critters, etc, might be living in there. If we took better care of ourselves and avoided the over use of antibiotics we wouldn't be in this position so I think it's important for us to re-think our life styles and figure out how to get back to doing the things that promote healthy digestion. And it could take many months or years to make the transformation.

I made myself totally better before (for a few weeks) and I didn't know why (I was doing so many things at the time) but I now believe it was the attention I paid to my intestinal health. So I'm getting back to that again. IMO, it doesn't hurt to do a colon cleanse (I'm trying colonix now but can't vouch for the product yet) add significant fiber to the diet (through food choices and supplements), take some herbal anti-fungals and anti-bacterials (I'm doing that again and have horrible die off symptoms lately, so something is certainly happening), make smarter diet choices (including raw veggies, apples and things that contain lots of fiber. No sweets and things with added sugar. Absolutely no sugary drinks), probiotic supplements and also things that can help heal your digestive tract like aloe vera juice, DGL, L-Glutamine, Slippery Elm, etc.

I've had many of the same symptoms you have. IMO, you should think long and hard about improving the state of your digestive tact. You have nothing to lose by doing this (except for time and money, of course )

Old 10-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
(female)

hi lenny, thanks for the reply
i agree with what youve said. ive been trykng to improve my diet at the moment but i work noghts and all we have is a microwave to cook our food so its pretty hard! and ive thoguth about taking various things to try and help digestion, but im on a course of antibitoics with various other things to try and combat the post nasal dripright now so it mite be a bit pintless, plus i dont know where to start, theres so many things available to take, and everyone sugests different things! ive heard chlorella is supposed to be good for detoxing you and helping the gut, also i know milk thisle and digestive enzymes are recommended, i tried these whilst on the candida diet.
i dont know where to start!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

You might want to consider a colon cleanse and anti-fungal, anti-bacterial regimen to start. Not sure what antibiotic you are on. While it can cause a candida problem to get worse it can help with bad bacteria (while also killing good of course). If you've had the post nasal drip for a while I suspect the antibiotics will not help, unfortunately.

A colon cleanse with a good high fiber diet can help flush things out. I'd do this and take at least a double dose of probiotics at the same time. If you aren't taking a colon cleanse product take a good fiber supplement that includes a mixture of soluble and insoluble fiber.

On top of that I currently drink aloe vera juice every day and take L-Glutamine, slippery elm, collustrum and milk thistle. For killing critters I take olive leaf extract and some other herbs from India that I got from a naturopath. But you can also use things like oil of oregano, grapefruit seed extract and caprylic acid (I take 2 or 3 things at a time and rotate other things in and out). All of these things will help. It's a pain, yes, and it's not cheap. But it's better than being sick. The anti-critter stuff can hopefully be stopped in several weeks. But it's hard to say how bad things are in there.

Do you have a fridge at work? You really should eat as much raw stuff as you can. Take a salad. Avoid sugary drinks, sweets and high fructose corn syrup like the plague. As few simple carbs as possible and I'd limit bread as well. Yogurt with active cultures is helpful. Yeah, this sucks. I have a full cafeteria at work and I force myself to eat nothing but salad for lunch unless there is a fish dish. It's not easy sometimes but you get used to it.

Take digestive enzymes with all meals (unless you are just eating fruit or salad).

That's what I do. It worked for me before but I got away from it and paid the price. It's not a temporary thing. It's a lifestyle change. I'm done with sweets and soda and some other things. I'm thinking that I need to be very disciplined until the end of 2008. Then maybe I can relax.....a little

Old 10-31-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
(female)

thanks for the suggestions. i will go to the health foood store on the weekend and buy some of the things you suggested. how long were you taking thes medicines before you saw an imporvement? yeh im doubting the antibiotics too, but im on a course of them for three months along with steroid spray and nose drops and this is the last resort before they consider surgey so im sticking to it. but i dont think the surgerys worth going through anyway as im convinced the post nasal drip is comming from my digerstive problems. ive cut out all chocolate, crisps, cakes etc, u dont eat sweets or drink fizzt drinks anyway. i currently have muselli with dried fruoit in fro breakfast and maybe some wholemeal toast. i have lunch about 3 before i go to work, i try to have something gfillung like jacket potato or pasta. then dinner is where im failing becasue the only things i can have in work really are soup or microwavable meals. i could take salds in but i dont think theyd fill me up for the 8 hours. i now snack on bananas, nuts and dried apricots instead of all the junk food in the vending machine. i think this is a good start, i jus have to stick to it and start taking the things you mentioned

Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Sounds like you're doing some good things already.

It took around 3 months to turn things around for me before. It's complicated though because I was doing so many things that I didn't know what fixed me. I'm still not totally positive but I finally concluded that digestion was the absolute root cause. There were many symptoms, including low serotonin, a sleeping disorder and middle ear problems that made it very difficult to trace.

It wasn't until a few months after my symptoms came back that I started to make sense of it all. I saw a very experienced naturopath recently and digestive problems seemed like the obvious cause to him. Hopefully I'll start to see a turn around in a few weeks.

If they are talking about operating on your sinuses than I assume you've been diagnosed with sinusitis and may have polyps? If that were the case, than that's certainly enough to cause you a lot of misery.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
(female)

sounds like ill have to stick at it then, let me know how you get on. im thinking about going to see someone that does alternative medicine and herbs and stuff. no i dont have sinusitus or polyps, my xrays were clear, i have chronic post nasal drip that they cant find a cause for

Old 10-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

I can't imagine why they are talking about an operation, then? If you don't have sinusitis or a deviated septum than I'm not sure what they are thinking of doing. If your condition is like mine, no antibiotics, nasal sprays or medication of any kind will help you. I even had 8 years of allergy shots that did nothing.

Definitely find a natuorpath if you have one around. If not, at least the regimen I've given you is naturopath approved . He told me to keep doing everything I've been doing and just added some herbs, which you probably can't easily buy. But there are plenty of things that will work for this.

If you are going to try this stuff, definitely add DGL to the list. I forgot about that. Chew on DGL wafers between meals at least 20 min before you eat. DON'T get capsules because these have to mix with saliva to work. These can help heal your digestive tract along with the colostrum, slippery elm, L-glutamine (free form l-glutamine. At least 3 grams a day for a while) and aloe very juice. All of these things are known to be very good at healing.

All of this is a real pain! But hopefully it will pay off.

Good luck.

Lenny

Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 AM   #9
(female)

i thik there are certain operatoions they can do to try and stop the ppost nasal drip, but thats not combatting the cause of it and i dont have faith that they will work ofr last so im not going to go for them.

ok thanks, ill search for a nuropath, what sort of things do they do? just talk to you and advise you what to take?

thanks, good luck to you too

Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

A naturopath looks at things from a different perspective. Instead of looking at particular symptoms and figuring out what medication they can prescribe to suppress them like regular docs is prone to do, they look at the big picture.

And they will look to diet and alternative treatment rather than prescription meds. Many keep herbs and supplements at their facility.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

You mentioned Chlorella earlier. I picked some up a few days ago. I knew about it's detoxification benefits but didn't realize how helpful it can be to digestion.

I have dental amalgams so it makes a lot of sense for me.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:14 AM   #12
(female)

ok thanks ill try and track some down... what about fibre? how much should i be taking? will just a general supplemnt of it do.. all the branded ones are so expensive

Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

I try to get a healthy dose of soluble and insoluble fiber through both food and supplements.

Do a search on high fiber foods and make sure you are getting plenty of those.

I'm going to be doing a colon cleanse soon and there's a lot of psyllium husk in there. A good colon cleanse regimen is a great place to start but I've already had really good results on taking some fiber blend capsules that have a mixture of fibers, including plenty of psyllium husk. It took about a week and a half of that before things started to change but my, uh, "final product" is a lot closer to what it's supposed to be.

I had to cut back on the herbals because the herxheimer reaction has been to much to deal with. It's been a week now and it's not getting any better.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:30 AM   #14
(female)

ok so today im starting on colon cleanse, chlorrella, milk thislte, digestive enzymes and fibre along with trying to stick to a good diet. im going to see how that goes fora while. i also have some anti candi and capryli acid to try and some point. hopefully i wont get too much of a reaction to it. last time i tried i had a boiut a week of feeling sick and diahreah, hopefully that wont happen too bad

Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Good luck!!

Let us know how it goes.

Hopefully there's a probiotic mixed in there as well.

Closed Thread