It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
(female)

lovepairs HB User
Candida/Yeast, Gluten and Weight Loss

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. I just finished reading a thread back from 2007 about yeast overgrowth and it's impact upon weight loss. I would like to start a new thread on this topic, because I just disovered that I have a sensitivity/allergy to yeast, which explains I variety of symptoms that I've suffered, since I was 5 years old. I am now 51 and finally getting handle on what doctors could not figure out my entire life. The symptoms included:

Canker sores
Thrush
constipation
Chalazian cycsts
frequent colds
fertility issues
yeast infections
chronic fatique
foggy thinking
dry mouth
felling like there was a monkey on my back
and
INABILITY TO LOSE WEIGHT!

About 16 years ago, I lost 95 lbs. with Weight Watchers and like magic just about all of my symptoms just disappeared! It took me 1 year and 9 months to loose this weight, which included a dedicated excersise routine (the first one I did in my entire life.) This was a long journey, which also included cutting all processed foods out of my life, no more soda or fruit juices, all baked goods, icecream, chocolate, candies, and pastas goodbye, I never felt so good in my life!

I might mention here that my father has suffered from many of the symptoms above his entire life, including a stomach ulcer and gaves disease, too, along with a general malaize his entire life. He never corrected his diet and continues to suffer putting all of his faith in conventional medicine.

During the last 16 years I've make a switch from conventional doctors, who not didn't have the time to figure out what was going on with me, and also didn't seem to really care, to homeopathic professionals. I took it upon myself to educate myself about nutrition, and believe that I have read every book on the planet!

After a very long process of elimination, and about 16 years of experimenting with food (meaning taking certain foods out and then putting them back in and watch for reaction) I have discovered that I definitely have a Candida overgrowth, have an allergy or sensitivity to yeast, and may have an allergy to gluten (I'm still not sure about this one.)

I was wondering if anyone else out there is like me, and if we may start a conversation about Yeast-free and Gluten-free diets.

I'll wait to hear if there is any response. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
(female)

janeemac HB User
Re: Candida/Yeast, Gluten and Weight Loss

Hi Lovepairs.

I’m new here also.

My sad tale of woe is almost identical to yours, add in a splash of Addisons Disease and a dollop of Hypothryroidism, and you get me. It took me a very long time, years, to finally get diagnosed. I thought once I started the various meds that I would feel ‘normal’ again. There was a definite improvement but not the miracle that I had hoped for. I suffered all the same symptoms as you and probably more.

I also had a life long battle with my weight. Sure eat less and exercise more – but how do you do that when you are so exhausted and sore all the time! I once described my symptoms to a friend like this, “I wake up in the morning feeling exhausted, sore and sick – knowing that this is the best I am going to feel all day, it’s downhill from that point”. My emotions were unbalanced, thoughts black, hope gone, quality of life non existent, etc etc So tell me again, oh yeah eat less and exercise more…I can just about drag myself through the day to collapse into bed, then it starts all over again.

I searched the internet looking for a magic pill to melt off the flab but never found it, well not as yet anyway, but one thing kept popping up, Candida. Eventually I started with some of the anti-candida treatments, as found in my local health food store (simple herbal tinctures, no interference with the meds, gotta be careful). The improvement was dramatic and instant, it was more instant than the results with my meds; my emotions, thoughts, hope and quality of life soared. It’s still ongoing and I have my little hiccups but one of the amazing things is my sugar cravings, they have disappeared, and I had the worst sugar cravings in the world that no amount of chocolate could or would satisfy, and I LOVE chocolate!

One of the articles that impacted on me was how Candida wraps itself around the glands in your body and prevents them from functioning correctly, for me the Thyroid and Adrenal, makes sense to me, also the bacteria need sugars to feed them thus those ferocious never ending sugar cravings.

The weight loss is gradual, 50lbs gone, slowly, roughly another 14 to go, getting there AND I can work out, yup I have energy to work out!!!

This is my experience; it may not be for everyone. Christmas and New Year were a nightmare for me, I was really ill and was pumped full of antibiotics, steroids and anti-inflammatory drugs for 3 weeks due to a virus I picked up. I felt just awful after and struggled to get back on my feet. I went back to my anti candida regime and have never felt better.

I’m still looking for that magic weight loss pill and just popped in here to check if anyone has discovered it yet.

I spotted this post and figured I would add my tuppence worth, didn’t mean for it to be so long winded.

I am by no means an expert in these matters or a health professional or would advise anybody to do the same as I have done. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain so I just figured, go for it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by janeemac; 02-22-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

janeemac HB User

Oops.

Forgot to add that I am now gluten, yeast and sugar free! They feed Candida, as do antibiotics. Perhaps later I can tolerate them, but not yet.

Last edited by janeemac; 02-22-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #4
(female)

lovepairs HB User

Hi Jeanemac,

So, nice to meet you and thank you for responding to this thread! I'm so sorry that you've suffered for many years with this as I have. I'm off to the doctor this morning to see if he will work with me on this Yeast-related condition I have. If not, he's history and I will continue to search for a new medical advocate.

Well, here's the thing. I felt like you when I woke up, but possibly a little bit better, because I dragged my self out of bed, eat next to nothing, and excersised for approx. 2 hours everyday and continued to gain weight. I'm a competitive adult pair skater, so I was really working it and still gaining. The bloating was out of control too and I WASN'T EATING ANYTHING. I was under 800 calories per day and still gaining. It didn't make any sense at all. All my friend would say "Oh, you have to eat more to loose." When I did this I would have enormous weight gains (5lbs. per day when I ate about 1200 caleries per day) I kept really accurate watch on all of this with a calorie counting software package, so that I would know what was going on.

The sugar cravings were over-the-top, and when I gave in, I couldn't stop until I was in a sugar comma, so sick, and crawl into bed. I never knew that they were Candida sugar cravings, and thought that this "white knuckling" through the day was from starving to death. I always felt that I was carrying this monkey on my back!

I just finished reading "The Yeast Connection," which I highly recommend and can easily be found on Amazon. About a month ago, I took the "spit test" and there it was--an overload of Candida. I immediately went totally sugar free, yeast free, and wheat free, and went on an over the counter Candida Cleanse (heath food store.) With in days the majority of symptoms went away. Two weeks into it, I took the "Spit test," again and it was about 80% cleaner, still some signs of Candida, but very little.

Right now I feel healthy and solid, and I know you know what I mean. I'm going to ask the Doctor today about going on Nystatin to see if I can really knock this thing out. I'll report back.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
(female)

janeemac HB User

Hey Lovepairs,

Thanks for recommending that book, going to get that asap!

And I know exactly what you’re talking about with the sugar cravings and the ‘giving in’. I always gave in too, same as you, and always to the point of feeling really really ill and bloated, and disgusted with myself but not able to stop. In fact I always had myself down as a binge-eating-over-eater, or a bulimic-without-the-purging, and was always so embarrassed about it that I did it in secret – how could you explain this to anyone!

I never had to do the spit test, the inside of my mouth was coated each morning, and even brushing my teeth couldn’t get rid of it/them.

You have done some amazing research on Candida, thank you for starting this post and sharing it. I don’t consider myself cured, just healing with a view to sorting out the Thyroid and Adrenal problems that I have, would dearly love to get off the steroids – they leech the calcium from your bones. I’m in my 30’s and showing signs of osteoporosis. I had a dexa scan last year – even the nurse was shocked at the results!

Thanks again Lovepairs, and great to meet you.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Hi janeemac & Lovepairs -

I am SO glad this topic was started...because I desperately need some guidance in this particular area. Here is my story -

I'm 43yo, 5'6" 150lbs, diagnosed hypothyroid a few years back and have been on meds ever since (88mcg Levoxyl). I've always struggled with my weight, as obesity runs in my family. I started exercising when I was 18yo, in an effort to lose weight. I yo-yo'd, up and down with my weight for several years, in my 20's. I hovered at the 180lb mark for many years...well into my 30's. Started jogging to try and get some of that weight off for good. I managed to "run" myself down to 150lbs, which is where I'm at now. I've been lower though...back in August, I was at my lowest weight of 135lbs..but I had also been training for 2 triathlons, so was doing lots of swimming/biking/running in addition to my daily gym workouts. After my last race, I started to feel really "unwell". I had extreme fatigue, very low energy, dizziness, constipation/diarrhea, cold intolerance, unrefreshed sleep, muscle weakness, joint pain...I just felt like total crap. Went to my doctor thinking that my thyroid was wigging out. Tests came back low end of normal, so my doc upped my thyroid meds a notch. A month went by, felt no difference at all... still had all the symptoms...PLUS, some new ones. Now I was having extreme bloating, terrible gas 24/7, stomach churning/gurgling after every meal, loose & mucousy stools, and occasional nausea. My first thought was some kind of food intolerance (perhaps dairy or wheat). I tried taking Lactaid enzymes before eating any dairy, but it did not help at all. Still had the gas, bloating, etc. Two weeks ago, the symptoms just exploded on me. The stomach churning/gurgling are now preventing me from sleeping, I had diarrhea for 8 days straight, and still feel nauseous and bloated after eating meals. I went to my GP, and he decided to test me for Celiac's (have not got the results yet). After I got home from the doctor, I decided to do some researching of my own...and this is where the Candida comes into play. I am convinced, that I have Candida OR some kind of bacterial overgrowth. Is there a difference between Candida and small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)?? I know Candida is a yeast, and that differs from bacteria right? Are they treated differently? All of the Candida research points to probiotics and a cleanse as the treatment. Can you recommend a really good probiotic that will wipe this Candida out of my system? I really need to get this problem under control...as I feel it is starting to affect every aspect of my life. I simply cannot deal with this constant, 24/7 gas & bloating. I feel SO sapped of energy, yet I still manage to drag my butt to the gym everyday...but it takes every ounce of effort in me to do so...and then I'm pretty much useless the rest of the day. I take a 2 hour nap everyday before I go to work, otherwise I would not be able to function and stay awake at work. No matter how much sleep I get, it never feels like enough. I feel like I could sleep all freakin' day! Could this all be from the Candida or whatever it is that has taken up dwelling inside my gut??? I SO need some help in getting this under control. Please help!!! Thanks!

Linda

Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
(female)

lovepairs HB User

Hi Linda,

So sorry that you're feeling crapy. First, I want to say that alot of people say that "obesity runs in my family," I could have said that, too. But the truth of the matter is that "poor eating habits run in my family," and for the majority of families in this country, too; as you have seen, obesity in the country is on the rise with adults and children a like. More likely, an over abundance of processed foods in the diets, a tremendous amount of sugar, and poor excersise habits (or none at all) to boot. However, it sounds like you have a handle on this for yourself. Kudos to you!

Of course your symptoms sound like it could be anything from a virus to Celiac. I would be patient and wait for the Celiac results to come in.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-24-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepairs View Post
Hi Linda,

So sorry that you're feeling crapy. First, I want to say that alot of people say that "obesity runs in my family," I could have said that, too. But the truth of the matter is that "poor eating habits run in my family," and for the majority of families in this country, too; as you have seen, obesity in the country is on the rise with adults and children a like. More likely, an over abundance of processed foods in the diets, a tremendous amount of sugar, and poor excersise habits (or none at all) to boot. However, it sounds like you have a handle on this for yourself. Kudos to you!

Of course your symptoms sound like it could be anything from a virus to Celiac. I would be patient and wait for the Celiac results to come in.
Well, my Celiac's test came back negative. I suppose that's a good thing...but on the otherhand, I'm still left with no real answers for my symptoms and feeling the way I do. After telling me the results of the test, my doctor did suggest trying a GF diet for a few weeks, just to see if I show any improvement. If I feel no difference on the GF diet, then he wants me to see a GI doc for further evaluation. This GF thing is going to be really tough for me...as I practically LIVE on whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, oatmeal, etc. I've been perusing a few GF websites, and I'm having a very difficult time finding foods that I'll be able to eat (that I actually like). I've printed out a listing of "safe" and "unsafe" foods...so armed with that, I will make a trip to Whole Foods this weekend and see if I can find some palatable GF options for myself during this "test" diet. I have to admit that I'm rather torn about the prospect of going GF permanently. Part of me is secretly hoping that I don't see any improvement in my symptoms on the GF diet, so that I can return to eating my favorite foods. But there is the other part of me, that would welcome the likelihood of dropping a few pounds, if it does turn out that I'm gluten-intolerant. Oh well...I guess I'll never know for sure unless I give this GF thing a shot. Wish me luck...I'm gonna need it!

Linda

Old 02-26-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
(female)

lovepairs HB User

Why not have a simple stool test for Candida, and then have a blood work test for sensitivity to Yeast, wheat, Gluten, rye, spelt and barley. I'm surprised that your Doctor didn't offer your these simple tests before torturing you with the GI diet?

I would go back and demand these, and if he gives you a hard time, find a doctor who is willing to work with you and allow you to be a partner in your own healing.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Hmmm...never thought about having those tests done...silly me!!! I will definitely bring those tests up to him when I stop in his office this weekend to give him copies of my endo test results. I suspect the reason he might not have suggested those tests, is that this area (digestive/gastro) is not really his forte...so therefore, might not be up on all the testing available. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, until I get a chance to speak with him about it. Thanks for your help! It gives me some hope that I might not have to go GF after all! Yay!!!

Linda

Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
(female)

lovepairs HB User

Hi Linda,

I don't know that much about the GI diet, but from what you described in your last post it sounds a lot like the Candida, Gluten and Wheat-Free diet. However, I have to tell you that I've never felt as good in my life as I have on this diet, and once you get all of this sugar out of your system the cravings virtually go away. There are many rice and corn pasta substitutes on the market, as well as Gluten and Wheat Free snakes, cookies, ect... I would recommend this diet to people who don't have allergies or aliements. I mean, who needs all the sugar and chemicals that are found in many processed foods anyway? After all, sugar is basically empty calories and has absolutely no nutritional value.

Last edited by lovepairs; 02-27-2009 at 01:38 AM.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
(female)

Colinette HB User

Hello everyone,

About eight or nine years ago, I was fed up with having chronic colds and general "crappy" feeling. After doing research on the internet, I self-diagnosed as having candida. I did not have all of the symptoms, but enough that my history pointed to this. I bought a number of the books and started to learn all that I could. I decided I had "leaky gut" plus any sugar I was eating was causing the yeast to thrive.

Keep in mind, no doctor would listen to me or even consider this. My primary doc, whom I loved in every other regard, told me there was no test for this. My husband, from his work with doctors and biochemists, knew this was wrong. In addition, the information on the internet wasn't as extensive as it is now.

Long story short, I put myself on a STRICT, no carb diet as a means of cleansing myself. Carbs convert to sugar, and yeast feeds off the sugar. I also went to the health food stores and bought a number of supplements. I planned to stay on the diet for a full month, but I only lasted three weeks as I eventually got too light-headed and somewhat weak. I lost some weight -- not a lot.

The good news was that it worked! My colds went away and I got better.

A few years later, I started getting a yeast infection here and there, a cold here and there, so I went back on the no-carb diet, only I modified it. I weaned myself on and off, and I wasn't as strict. I allowed myself the good, complex carbs (which would not turn into sugar so easily or readily). A few weeks on that, and I was doing well again.

Good luck to you! Western medicine doesn't want to recognize this, but yeast overgrowth is real. Get it out of your system and you'll feel so much better!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #13
(female)

lovepairs HB User

Hi Colinette,

I can't agree with you more about everything you've posted here. My own doctor, who is a GP and Homopathic, is semi cooperating with me, but putting up a fight at the sametime. I finally got him to agree to doing blood work for yeast, wheat, Gluten, rye and spelt sensitivities and a stool sample for the Candida test (mind you, I took the spit test and it was overwhelmingly positive.)

Like you, I self-diagnosed my self about a month and a half ago, read everything and went on the Candida diet. I was already eating very well; I haven't eaten process foods for about 16 years now and am mostly organic. So, going on the Candida diet was a matter of tweeking all of the carbs and decreasing natural sugars as are found in fruit, and also eliminating vinegar, mayo, mustard, and all fermented foods, along with cheese. In a matter of weeks everything cleared up, and I never felt healthier in my life.

Oh, I meant to mention, that there are many sugar, wheat, and gluten free foods that work nicely into this diet to take the edge off of not eating bread and pasta. Rice and corn pasta substitutes are great, and can be found at a good health food, or Whole Food store near you!

Last edited by lovepairs; 03-01-2009 at 03:15 AM.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Ok, so I understand the need to eliminate gluten & sugars from the diet, while battling Candida. But how am I able to consume fruits (I love strawberries, blueberries, bananas, pineapple, apples, & watermelon) if they all have naturally occurring sugars in them? Also...nearly all of the yogurts on the market have sugar in them...with one exception being plain yogurt. I simply cannot stomach eating plain yogurt without SOME kind of flavoring from added fruits. I really don't want to eat the yogurts that are artificially sweetened, as I am also trying to wean myself off of ALL artificial sweeteners at this time...they're SO bad for you! Seems like I'm caught between a "rock and a hard place" here. Any suggestions or ideas?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
(female)

Colinette HB User

I personally, am not on this diet all of the time, as I don't think I have any allergies or sensitivites. I just needed to cleanse myself.

When I do it for cleansing, I don't allow ANY sugar, and that includes fruit.

I should have mentioned the benefit of probiotics! I can't say enough good about them. I buy the kind you have to refrigerate. I heard they are better. They will help restore good bacteria in your stomach/intestines, etc.

Docs might not recognize it now, but I remember as a kid everyone thought that chiropractors and acupuncture were all quackery.

Closed Thread