What does Candida overgrowth feel like?
I have got to get to the bottom of my stomach problems.
1. Had stomach flu a few weeks ago. No vomiting, no diarrhea, but SEVERELY nauseous, and everything else that comes with it (cramping, abdominal pain, cold sweats, etc). This thing wiped me out. I had it for over a week.
2. It's been a few weeks now (just over 2 weeks) and I feel terrible again. Some cramps, but mostly bloating, gurgling like trapped gas bubbles in my stomach, and out of control gas (though, I feel like not all of it is coming out, and it's not leaving my body fast enough). I also have some belching here and there. I have been through a week of INCREDIBLY high stress, but usually high stress does not make me THIS ill.
3. I have NO diarrhea and NO constipation. My bms are normal. I feel like I have to go more often than I have to, but I really do not have any problems.
4. I am exhausted. I am getting over a cold (I got over it really fast), but I am just struggling to find things to eat that don't make me feel horrid. I usually eat a lot of fruit and veggies, almost 0 red meat, no processed food. I have not been sleeping well at all.
5. Recently tested negative for celiac's, and h. pylori. He ran some liver/kidney/thyroid function tests and everything came back normal. I was on PPIs for quite a long time and then stopped last year because they stopped working (horrid acid rebound after I stopped!), but I do use a lot of Maalox on a regular basis to calm my stomach.
Someone recently mentioned Candida. I initially discounted it but could that be what is wrong? I had quite a bit of yeast infections when I was younger, but I have no white goo in my mouth or anything. I do have a bit of a sweet tooth, though I have not been indulging much lately due to stomach problems. Don't drink, don't eat much bread or starch. Also lactose intolerant, but I am usually good with yogurt and cheese -- the doc told me to stay away from dairy until my stomach calms down.
What are the symptoms of candida overgrowth? I am going to buy some heavy duty probiotics (my friend swears by them, she had IBS or whatever and she is cured) and see if that helps. Has anyone else had a candida overgrowth in the stomach? Can you tell me if my symptoms match?
Once burned by milk you will blow on cold water. - Russian Proverb
Last edited by dreamingdenali; 02-22-2009 at 08:02 AM.