It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

tooyoungforpain HB User
IDET candidate seeking advice

Hi, I am new to this board. While doing research on the internet, I thought it might be a good idea to talk to people that understand what I'm going through.
I have had chronic low back pain for a little over 4 years now. I was involved in a car accident and my back has never been the same. I have done physical therapy, chiropractic care, massage therapy, acupuncture, steroid injections and have even been prescribed cymbalta (even though I am not depressed). While the above treatments caused some temporary relief, the pain is still persistant and has never gone away. I will say that the Cymbalta did not help at all and it just made me sick (I would not recommend this).
I'm only 24 years old and was able to get through my first pregnancy, but I'm really hoping to get back to my active lifestyle and also bring more children into our little family without being in so much pain.
I recently had a discogram (which was very painful) done by my physiatrist and he concluded that there is a tear in my L5/S1. It was nice to finally know what is going on with my back. He says that he highly recommends the IDET procedure and says that I am a very good candidate. He says my disc is not degenerating and is very healthy minus the tear.
I'm waiting for insurance approval and in the meantime I'm trying to research the IDET. Has anyone had any success from this procedure? What are your opinions about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

murr3 HB User
Re: IDET candidate seeking advice

IDET can help, but as far as I know, success rate is less than 50%.

I was in contact with sever world-wide known neurosurgeons, and they don't have good opinion about IDET.

I am recommending you PLDD (laser decompression). It is used for treating herniated discs, but it can also help in healing (burning) tears.

You can contact Dr. Daniel Choy from "Laser Spine Center". He is PLDD founder.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

michellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB User

I had the IDET a year and a half ago and had NO relief at all; I hope that you research this before you go thru with it. I know the pain you are feeling I have several disc with tears in them and I am in constant pain, when they did the IDET it was only done in one disc. I am glad they did not do more than one. There is such a small rate of success. I would suggest that you talk with your doctor about other procedures that you could do to make it better. Good luck and I know that you are in pain and I hope that you find something that will help you soon!!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
(female)

tooyoungforpain HB User

Thank you so much for the information. Do you think that your procedure didn't work because they only performed the IDET on one of your discs even though you have multiple discs with tears? What treatment are you pursuing now? I'm so sorry to hear that you are in constant pain. It's nice to know that there are people out there that understand, but at the same time it's horrible to think someone else has to go through it! Take care.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
(female)

michellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB User
IDET candidate seeking advice

When I had it done they didn't know there were other tears, I had a new MRI after the procedure and the others were there then. I really never thought of it that way... I just knew it never helped. If you decide to do it I wish you all the best. I know what you mean about there being someone out there that knows what you feel like tho. I hate to put this all on my family, they just don't understand how much pain comes along with this. I also have degenerative disc disease and impinged nerves one of them is my sciatic nerve. Enough of my problems tho. Good luck in what you choose! I do hope you find something that helps you.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

You are very young and such a shame you have to go through all this pain.
While IDET is not fusion, I would still strongly suggest to you to take your discogram reports and all related to the tests were done on your back and go into another area than your resent Dr locates and seek second opinion.
Since all spinal surgeries and problems nobody can garantee - you better make sure that before anybody touches your spine - you really need it and this is exactly your problems.
I had tears, my husband has tears for many years and his back bothers him but couple of Dr told him that tears are come and they heal by themsevses and don't need any special attention.
Please do yourself a favor and take good care of yourself in confirming your Dx and treatments;'

Best of luck to you.
Moldova

Old 07-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

murr3 HB User

Then you (and your husband) had Grade 1 or Grade 2 tears.

Bigger tears (Grade 3 and above) will not heal themselves and surgical procedure is needed to solve that.

Last edited by murr3; 07-03-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
(female)

tooyoungforpain HB User

Thank you to everyone who has provided information. I'm wondering if anyone has felt WORSE after the IDET procedure. I kind of feel like I'm at the end of my rope with so many years of trying so many different things for the pain. I feel like maybe I should trust my doctor if he thinks this is what I should do. He has preformed a few hundred of these procedures.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
(female)

blacklab08 HB User

I noticed it had been a couple of months since your last message (I hope I read this right, I just registered). Did you have the IDET procedure? If so, how did it turn out? If not, why? It sounds like I am in the same boat and considering this option. Thank you

Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
(female)

tooyoungforpain HB User

I just had the procedure done 6 weeks ago. It is too soon to tell if the procedure will help my pain. Apparently it takes 4-6 months following the procedure to recieve full relief. The doctor said it went really well so now I just have to wait and see. I have been wearing my back brace and not bending or lifting for the past 6 weeks. I start Physical Therapy in 2 weeks. You should know that this is no piece of cake recovery. I have been in a lot of pain. I am a stay at home mom so luckily I didn't have to worry about going back to work (although I have had to rely on a lot of help with watching my toddler.) I'm sure every body heals differently, but this has been very painful for me. I am still staying positive and believe that this will provide me with the relief that I need. I'm hoping it will be worth it in the long run. Good luck and best wishes!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #11
(female)

larae1 HB User

how are you doing now? future IDET girl needing to know?

barb

Old 02-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

murr3 HB User

What's your diagnosis?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
(female)

larae1 HB User

Hi-
did you end up getting the IDET? Did your insurance pay for it?

< edited > I am in a huge need of needing to know this../
Barb

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-21-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as name, telephone or email address. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #14
(female)

larae1 HB User

Oh, you can do it... you are in my prayers How are you now? did they say it helped with the bulge at all?

thank you...I want it asap I can take the pain, believe me, I look forward to it as crazy as that sounds.

love,
Barb

Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, there's ANOTHER procedure similiar to IDET called DISC BIACUPLASTY made by Bayliss. I've had 2 of these done one to a GRADE 3 tear L3/4 one to a GRADE 4 tear L4/5. Two heated probes are used in lieu of one. BUT its hard to get approval. There have been clinical trials. I'd ask your Dr. about it.

Also, you're young. I would NOT have any fusion or ADR (Replacement) surgery unless you're in excrutiating pain. They're inventing new stuff all the time, stem cell research included. I have a friend who's going under a protein injection (don't know the legal name) for a tear as a clinical trial to heal hers and she's feeling better after 1 month. So I'd hang in there. Just be careful. Look up FAIL BACK SURGERY SYNDROME. Then You'll see why I wouldn't have surgery unless absolutely. I'd take the non-evasive route in a heartbeat.

Closed Thread