It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
(female)

Evurr HB User
Diet for Candida

Hi

I've been doing some research and although I haven't yet been diagnosed I am of the opinion that I may have candida overgrowth.

On researcing it more I have found that many people treat it with diet along with certain suppliments. The only problem is that the forums I have joined seem to insist that you follow their specific diet and will not advise you if you don't. Each of the diets are different, sometimes very different to each other and I am not sure that they are all healthy, so I have decided to try and find my own balance.

The first thing I am trying to do is cut out as much sugar from my diet. This includes ALL forms of sugar including fruit and starch.

The problem is, I don't eat meat so I have to get my protein from other things, some of which are starchy.

I'm not really sure what I am asking here, I guess firstly I am looking for a group of people that can help and support me find my own way rather than have to follow a very restrictive diet that seems to go against everything I have been taught as healthy.

Regards

Heather

Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Diet for Candida

Heather,

Why don't you eat meat? Are you a vegetarian?

By cutting out all forms of sugar, fruit and starch, you have a good start. Any baked goods made from flour (ground up gains) is like consuming sugar. Can you eat whole (intact) grains like whole wheat berries? I'm just wondering what you CAN eat.

Can you get some of your protein from whole eggs and/or egg whites?

You said the diets you checked into are all different. Maybe you should concentrate on what they have in common.

What was recommended that you think is not healthy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
(female)

Evurr HB User

One said to live pretty much on meat and because thatcauses your body to run on protein based fat rather than carbs (even complex ones) you shouldn't exercise as you will feel too weak and hungry afterwards!!!!

I mean I'm not saying I exercise, but anything that makes you too weak to exercise can't be good for you, can it?

I'm not quite veggie but I choose not to eat meat on ethical grounds. I believe in a balanced diet of moderation of all things which is why I do eat fish.

Last edited by Evurr; 05-28-2010 at 04:44 AM.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Start taking a probiotic (NSI Probiotic 10:10 is an excelent product at a great price)

Taking it with a teaspoonfull of inulin (Now Foods sell this, or you can buy it more easily as Metamucil Finresure) provides food for the "good" bacteria to thrve on

These good bacteria can dramaticly reduce candida in the gut, without having to folow an extreme diet.

Last edited by jonnstar; 05-28-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evurr View Post
I'm not quite veggie but I choose not to eat meat on ethical grounds. I believe in a balanced diet of moderation of all things which is why I do eat fish.
I agree with you that a diet high in animal protein is not the best diet. By eating a lot of meat, you'd be trading one problem for another.

I did a little reading last night and came up with the following: (But first I'll give an overview for those who might not know what Candida is.)

The average healthy person has some yeast (candida) in their GI tract and "friendly" bacteria keeps it under control. A problem can start when the balance gets disturbed, resulting in "yeast overgrowth".

The diet you choose will likely depend on the severity of your symptoms. This is why you will find so many different diets being recommended. Although some, like the meat diet above, are just misguided.

The basic treatment is a sugar-free diet because yeasts feed on sugar. And some foods, like fruit juice, are very much like consuming sugar.

If your symptoms are severe, you might consider cutting down on or eliminating fruit. Likewise, you might consider using only whole (intact) grains rather than products that contain processed (refined) grains.

There are many extra steps you can take to help boost the friendly bacteria in your digestive tract. Eating yogurt is one idea. Probiotics is another, as was suggested by johnstar. In addition, I would highly recommend that you eat lots of vegetables (both raw and cooked) for the nutrition and fiber. A high fiber diet is absolutely necessary for the promotion of intestinal bacteria.
Bacteria thrive on fiber. (However, I wouldn't recommend anything like 100% bran cereal.) The fiber you eat should come from natural whole foods.

If you believe in moderation, I'm not surprised. Who doesn't? I'm the only one I know of who doesn't. I believe if something isn't good for you, you should get it out of your diet for good. For example: Having ice cream once a week or once a month only serves to reinforce a pathway in your brain. It's a reminder of how great sugary/fatty foods taste. It's kind of like a weekend recreational drug or alcohol user. They know it's not going to lead to anything good but they keep reinforcing it. It might be cookies one day and cake the next and as long as it's on a rotational basis, it's claimed to be "moderate".

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-29-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Word change

Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
(female)

Evurr HB User

Hi John

Thanks for all that.

My symptoms are very mild. I have been getting recurring vaginal yeast infections for the last few months and I have always had some food intolerances. I find it hard to digest raw fruit and some milk based products make me bloat or feel icky, these are yogurt and cream. I am able to have milk in cereals, eat as much cheese as I like and icecream is ok too. If I have a big milkshake I feel heavy but not ill.

That's it, reading all the other symptoms I feel I am either borderline or it is something else. I have just registered at my doctors (moved recently) and plan to get tested.

I also have what is known as vestibulitis which is something many doctors don't recognise. It feels like a yeast infection but it is really a reaction to chemicals such as perfumes in soap. I am generally very careful with this so don't really think it's that... but I need to get tested to see if I am actually getting yeast infections.

Anyway, back to the diet.

I was eating live yogurt but am about to give up on that as it makes me bloat. I am taking advanced acidophilus, pau darco and garlic oil for candida. I also have soaked linseed at least once a day as a bowel cleanse and am taking homeopathic remedies prescribed specifically for me.

I am slowly reducing the sugar in my diet but as I don't have a sweet tooth I don't tend to eat things like fizzy drinks, cake, sweets, ice cream etc anyway. I have also cut out yeast (eating wraps soda or pitta bread now), fruit and mushrooms.

They also say that mature cheese is bad but as that is a source of protein for me I have left that alone for now.

As for moderation... I totally get what you are saying about if you keep having the things that are bad for you it reminds you how good they are. I guess I just believe life is too short to not have something naughty every now and then. Naughty food is my only real vice health wise so as long as it doesn't get out of hand (and it has in the past, good old cab addiction) then I'm not doing too badly... I know I could do a LOT worse

Will ponder what you say some more though, thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

If you are taking a probiotic (the acidophilus_ it might be a good idea to add a prebiotic (a type of dietary fibre that acts as a food for the acidophilus)

Metamucil Fibresure is a prebiotic, it contains inulin. It disolves in any drink, coffee, milk, juice, and you couldnt tell it was there

If you are worried about candida, and have recurent yeast infections, it might be worth asking your doctor if you can have a short course of oral fluconazole, that would quickly kill virtualy all the candida in your body.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
(female)

Evurr HB User

Hiya

Didn't know about prebiotics... will ask in my health store for them. Thanks.

Tbh, I was trying the natural method but now I am registered, if I get another infection I think I will go and see if they can do this the easy way. Yeah if I took them a lot it would be bad for me but a one off wouldn't hurt and might solve all this.

Thanks, it's so nice to discuss this with people that aren't candid fanatics!!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

If you arnt taking a daily multivitamin like Centrum, taking one of those can also boost your general immunity.

Take the probiotic and the prebiotic together (you can buy metamucil fibresure in the drugstore, normal dose would be one teaspoon stired into a drink and taken with your acidophilus)

If the yeast infections keep recuring, do ask your doctor about a short course of fluconazole, its a very safe drug, its cheap (costco sell a months supply for $15), and it would kill off 99.9% of the candida in your body, and get things back in balance

Last edited by jonnstar; 05-31-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

I am not sure about this--what about wheatgrass? I think it heals and balances your body and helps with yeast.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
(female)

Evurr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
If you arnt taking a daily multivitamin like Centrum, taking one of those can also boost your general immunity.

Take the probiotic and the prebiotic together (you can buy metamucil fibresure in the drugstore, normal dose would be one teaspoon stired into a drink and taken with your acidophilus)

If the yeast infections keep recuring, do ask your doctor about a short course of fluconazole, its a very safe drug, its cheap (costco sell a months supply for $15), and it would kill off 99.9% of the candida in your body, and get things back in balance
Along with what I already mentioned I am also taking a multivitamin with cod liver oil and 2000ui of Vit D3 for SAD

Closed Thread