It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

megangrohl HB User
Question Oral thrush with Fluconazole/Nystatin ?

Well this may be a long post and I apologize in advance.

It all started the end of January, I was really sick, and the doc thought I had tonsillitis just by looking at my throat so I was put on amoxicillin. I could feel yeast coming in my genitals because of the antibiotics which is a common thing for me. I went to the doc and he said that's what it was. He said to wait it out and then try the cream that I have for it. I have suffered from vaginal yeast infections since I was about 20 years old, and not from antibiotics either, I just get them.

So that's what I did, I waited and it never came. The next thing you know my "infection" didn't go away after 10 days of using that antibiotic so I was given azithromycin and had a swab done to check for strep A which is what causes most tonsillitis. Turned up negative so I stopped taking those antibiotics, I had only take 2 days worth. Then they tested for mono which also came back negative....*phew*

Then the following week I had the most disgusting taste in my mouth, it was like sour milk. I also had a few blisters on my gums which was a side effect from the antibiotics. Talk about painful!!! And not to mention the horrible white coating with lesions, basically it looked like I had a white furry tongue. And then it started to spread down my esophagus so I went back to the clinic yet again and was given fluconazole 100 mg for 14 days to kill the fungus. He said it was for sure oral thrush. Oooh great!

That brings me to today, I am on day 5 of the medicine and my throat is no longer sore from the fungus, I noticed an improvement in my throat as of day 2 of taking the drug. But I have a question, how long should it take for my tongue to be completely healed? There is not really a super thick coating on it, but I still have the white lesions on it. I scraped most of it off when I was brushing my teeth, ever so gently - just to see what would happen. It didn't hurt, and I never bled or anything.

I was wondering if anyone else has taken this drug and seen good results? Should I go back and get nystatin to take with it? I paid $100 for this damn prescription and I would really hate for it to not work. I mean, it has worked so far for the sore throat and I think it's taking the yeast out because the back of my throat and my tonsils aren't really white anymore. I've read that your tongue is always the last to heal, is this true?

Any replies would be greatly appreciate, I am so frustrated with this candida crap!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Oral thrush with Fluconazole/Nystatin ?

Hi health measures may be useful. I would not stop the yeast prescription until finished. If tongue brushing is done with a toothbrush ever so gently according to one dentist at least it can be useful for some coatings but the professionals could be asked about that to be sure. lt does need to be gentle though because although dead cells might need gently removing they should not be swallowed but rinsed carefully after and the new cells coming in underneath should not be removed in my opinion.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
(female)

megangrohl HB User

Well I finished my fluconazole prescription and still had some white coating on my tongue. I went back and was given Nystatin. I am starting to think this white coating is from stomach acids coming up because I suffer from GERD and this is a common thing. Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hey you are welcome! I would do some nice healthy things in general too!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Whenever I'm on an antibiotic, especiall Amoxocillan I get that rotten sore and red tongue with a white coating and so far the Nystatin works best for me. It takes maybe 4-5 day to completely feel fine, but it does work.

My Dr. also told me to take a Probiotic Acidophilus especially when on any antibiotic, so far...so good. Now I take them every other day to try and ward off colds and build my immune system.

Good luck...JJ....

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
sjb (03-24-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Try rinsing the mouth with diluted Betadine twice a day, 1tsp of betadine in 50ml warm water, rinse for 1 minute, and spit out. Wait for 5 minutes before rinsing your mouth if you can.

This will kill the fungas localy while the fluconazole works from within.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

daisy2012 HB User

Hi Everyone, I hope this post is helpful info. I AM NOT trying to sell anything, I have just been fighting (yes, still fighting) this fight for 30 years.

Here's what I have learned about yeast, my own case anyway:

--it is naturally occurring in healthy humans, so there is NO way to get rid of it for good. It will not happen!

--sex causes it! Ok, let me clarify. There is nothing on a man's penis that causes a yeast infection, and a condom won't matter, unless the guy has a yeast infection, I doubt it. The problem is, either they have thrush, or they kiss you and you have it (even if you don't notice it) and then they do the thing down south and take what was in your mouth, down there. (Trust me, I've dated guys who wouldn't go there, and looking back, that was the only sex I ever had where I didn't end up with a yeast infection.)

--The very best help for vaginal yeast infections that I have found, in fact, the only thing that works quickly, is boric acid capsules inserted. A doctor will prescribe them if you ask for them, but you can go online and buy the boric acid and empty capsules and make your own without a prescription. I also have had Walgreens order the powder for me, and the empty capsules are available at the health food store.

--Once you have a yeast infection down there, if it is bad enough, after you've treated it, the yeast will leave that area and move outward. It doesn't die, even if you aren't itching anymore. I can almost guarantee that if you've ever had a problem with yeast overgrowth, you always have it zipping around your insides. If it is in your mouth, it came from your gut!! Period! Which means it's not only in your gut and in your mouth, but everywhere in between.

--The only medication I have ever used that put the yeast back in it's place, or at least it felt like it, was pure nystatin powder which is only available through an alternative medicine doctor. I went to one 25 years ago, and stayed on the nystatin for years, until I thought I didn't need it anymore. I did ok for years but now I really, really need it again.

I just don't think it ever gets cured! How can it? The yeast is there from birth, and I suppose if it was eradicated completely, it would leave the body less than healthy (I'm not sure what it is good for, though I remember someone telling me once that yeast is there to help our bodies decompose after we die. I don't know about that, but I can't find a reason to argue this point, yet.)

I have an alternative dr. about 2 hours from me, and am just waiting till I save enough cash to go see him and get back on the nystatin powder again, but I think there are others throughout the country. It may be something that can be found online, I'm not sure. The book,...the Yeast Connection,.... was my introduction to info about candida many years ago, and some things within that book were overkill, but the one thing for sure is that the nystatin powder is like powdered magic to me. The book is probably in your local library.

In the meantime, I am taking caprylic acid,...it works, too, but much, much more slowly. I am using boric acid capsules intravaginally. To relieve the sore mouth from thrush, rinse with salt water as often as necessary.

Yogurt is ok, but you couldn't eat enough yogurt to get rid of the problem, btw. There just isn't enough probiotic in there. You can take a probiotic capsule and sprinkle it in to your yogurt or any other cold food, if you want to.

Best of luck to all of you in treating the issues that come from this crazy little fungi!!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I know someone who got rid of her candida over the years. She had a blood test in the beginnning and had a fairly high level of it then years later had a test and they said there was none. Many healthy things had been done in the meantime so she was unsure if any one of them was responsible or the combination of the many things. One doctor did say that the more things a person does or tries the more likely one is to get well. However one has to be careful about how many and what supplements one uses because they can become toxic in the blood stream. Things like proper nutrition, exercise, water, sunshine, temperance, fresh air, proper rest, and attitude of gratitude, benevolence, peace in the life may benefit a person.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
(female)

daisy2012 HB User

I agree, that the symptoms can get better and the overgrowth can be made to be under control, but yeast is naturally occurring in the body, so it can come back again. It's actually there all along, but held in check most of the time. The biggest culprit is oral antibiotics. There are really times when people need them, but they will cause yeast to get out of control.

One suggestion there is to ask for an antibiotic shot instead of the oral ones. The shots won't cause the yeast to get out of hand because the antibiotic goes straight into the bloodstream, not thru the digestive system.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi another culprit is sugar, when people eat this it feeds any existing yeast already in the digestive system. If antibiotics are taken they claim the bacteria are wiped out but the stronger yeast just stays and gets stronger because now it has no competition. Of course if an antibiotic taken by injection is meant to clear an infection it may also wipe out intestinal bacteria and may be a problem. Naturally it would be a better choice if one had to do so. The oral one does sometimes have a strong effect on the bacteria in the digestive system. I learned recently that there are bacteria in the liver that manufacture vitamin B-12. Of course if an antibiotic is taken this could have serious consequences particularly for a vegetarian. Artificial sources of some vitamins at least are said to be carcinogenic. If a person has the right lifestyle and knowledge of certain healthful procedures they are less likely to get an infection in the first place.

Closed Thread