It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Keep slipping up

When I stick to the diet I feel great. But it is SOOO hard to stick to - there is so much temptation everywhere and I can't resist. I was doing well for a time but recently there has been too much temptation and as soon as I'm over one bout of eating sweet stuff and feeling better again I can't resist the temptation to have something else. This has involved unusual situations or gifts/gestures that I find hard to turn down.

How do you cope - any tips you can give me on getting through this? I'm barely working and really could do with being stronger in mind....?

Thank you

Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Keep slipping up

Its so difficult. For yrs Ive been Plaged with Oral Thrush, I believe its been in my stomach as well. Like you if I eliminate every form of sugar (which I have done before) and then failed miserably, It would go. Going out for meals with family/friends," well what can I say"...There is one sweet item I found no problem and that was sugarless Jam and its really nice. I stir a spoonful in Probiotic Yogurt or spread it on Oatmeal Biscuits I use XYLITOL for cooking, look it up. Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Thanks for the tip solofelix. I'm hesitant to try anything with fruit as I react really badly to it - same with xylitol - I have fructose malabsorbtion and these things increase gastric 'discomfort'. I lived for a while on flaxseed cookies with xylitol and unsweetened dessicated coconut but in the end had to give it up.
I see a dietician every now and again. She, like many of the medical community, don't really know anything about candida, but she is free to me, being paid for on the NHS (UK). She suggested maple syrup but I think this would not be good for candida? I can't seem to tolerate any sugar at all so think this isn't a good idea?

I will have a look for sugar free jam - it might save me!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Maple Syrup or Manuka Honey, I would avoid if you are prone to Candida. I suffer with Oral Thrush and it made my mouth worse than ever, and Im sure the same with my stomach, Solofelix.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesss View Post
When I stick to the diet I feel great.
"Feeling great" should provide the motivation that you need to stick to your diet. What could be better than feeling great?

Quote:
But it is SOOO hard to stick to - there is so much temptation everywhere and I can't resist.....This has involved unusual situations or gifts/gestures that I find hard to turn down.
You can do it! But you need a plan. Tell your friends that you have a health problem and can't eat certain foods. That should eliminate the gifts of food or candy that will be harmful to you.

Quote:
How do you cope - any tips you can give me on getting through this? I'm barely working and really could do with being stronger in mind....?
Okay, I'll tell you, but you might not like it. You have to stop thinking good thoughts about bad foods. Most people I have known who were fighting a losing battle with bad foods would keep thinking how great those foods were. Yes! One lady had an ice cream sunday and a week later she was still talking about how great it was! By doing that, she was strengthing a pathway in her brain, making it almost certain that she would eventually do it again. Instead, you must change your mind and thus create a new pathway. (That's what habits are, reinforced pathways in the brain.)

Here's an example of what you can do: Every time you think of some harmful junk food, picture the harmful ingredients in your mind. It takes some practice and determination but you can do it. Take cookies for example: Picture a pile of white flour and picture a pile of granulated sugar. And ask yourself if you would sit down and eat white flour or sugar with a spoon. I say no, it's disgusting. So, if you wouldn't do that, why would you think it's okay to eat cookies? Then you must tell yourself that it's garbage. White flour is garbage and granulated sugar is garbage. Therefore, cookies are nothing but garbage too.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do it with cakes, pies, cookies, candy and any other items that are harmful to your health. Every time you start thinking good thoughts about bad foods you must push those thoughts aside with thoughts about how bad those foods are. Garbage!!!! Garbage!!! Garbage!!!!

Other tips: If you subscribe to magazines that have big beautiful pictures of desserts or other junk foods, cancel those subscriptions. They serve as the wrong types of reinforcement. If you recieve big beautiful pictures in the mail, in the form of food advertisements, throw them out as soon as you recognize what they are. Don't spend any time looking at those pictures. They are designed to stimulate your appetite for that type of food. If your friends or relatives start talking about how great junk food is, don't chime in. Instead suggest or start another subject. If you're going to a friends house, eat some healthy food before you go. Then if he/she says, "how about a piece of pie" (or other junk food) you say, "I really must be going". If you're hungry you won't be able to refuse it. The most difficult thing is trying to resist temptation when you're hungry. So plan ahead!!

Everything worthwhile in life requires effort, so stick with it and you will be rewarded.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-28-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: To delete quote & typo

The following user gives a hug of support to JohnR41:
Tesss (05-26-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
Tesss (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

JohnR41,

Thank you SO much for your reply, yes you are totally right and changing my thinking like this is what I need to do. I slipped up at the weekend because I wanted a 'treat' and thinking about such food as a treat is what is slipping me up. I've never really thought about that before like that.
I do feel so much more well when I eat good foods, and so awful when I eat bad food - but the association hasn't stuck - so will be concentrating on this.

Thank you very much - this is what I need to do and you've given me some strategies to help me, I will let you know how I get on.

Best wishes

Tess

Last edited by Tesss; 05-26-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
(female)

wolfcafe HB Userwolfcafe HB Userwolfcafe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
"Feeling great" should provide the motivation that you need to stick to your diet. What could be better than feeling great?

You can do it! But you need a plan. Tell your friends that you have a health problem and can't eat certain foods. That should eliminate the gifts of food or candy that will be harmful to you.

Okay, I'll tell you, but you might not like it. You have to stop thinking good thoughts about bad foods. Most people I have known who were fighting a losing battle with bad foods would keep thinking how great those foods were. Yes! One lady had an ice cream sunday and a week later she was still talking about how great it was! By doing that, she was strengthing a pathway in her brain, making it almost certain that she would eventually do it again. Instead, you must change your mind and thus create a new pathway. (That's what habits are, reinforced pathways in the brain.)

Here's an example of what you can do: Every time you think of some harmful junk food, picture the harmful ingredients in your mind. It takes some practice and determination but you can do it. Take cookies for example: Picture a pile of white flour and picture a pile of granulated sugar. And ask yourself if you would sit down and eat white flour or sugar with a spoon. I say no, it's disgusting. So, if you wouldn't do that, why would you think it's okay to eat cookies? Then you must tell yourself that it's garbage. White flour is garbage and granulated sugar is garbage. Therefore, cookies are nothing but garbage too.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do it with cakes, pies, cookies, candy and any other items that are harmful to your health. Every time you start thinking good thoughts about bad foods you must push those thoughts aside with thoughts about how bad those foods are. Garbage!!!! Garbage!!! Garbage!!!!

Other tips: If you subscribe to magazines that have big beautiful pictures of desserts or other junk foods, cancel those subscriptions. They serve as the wrong types of reinforcement. If you recieve big beautiful pictures in the mail, in the form of food advertisements, throw them out as soon as you recognize what they are. Don't spend any time looking at those pictures. They are designed to stimulate your appetite for that type of food. If your friends or relatives start talking about how great junk food is, don't chime in. Instead suggest or start another subject. If you're going to a friends house, eat some healthy food before you go. Then if he/she says, "how about a piece of pie" (or other junk food) you say, "I really must be going". If you're hungry you won't be able to refuse it. The most difficult thing is trying to resist temptation when you're hungry. So plan ahead!!

Everything worthwhile in life requires effort, so stick with it and you will be rewarded.
Hi!
What you chose to share in words here is exceptional and well chosen.
Nice to see people on these forums who show they are humanitarian's in their
own way, and take the time to reach out with kind words of support and
empathy.
Some good imagry ideas for sure!

Closed Thread