It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User
Kefir Question

Hi All:
I have always heard that kefir was good for candida. I was researching the benefits of it and it sounds really good. I bought kefir already made at Trader Joes. Does anyone know if store bought kefir is just as beneficial as making your own? Because on most of the websites pertaining to kefir, they talk about making it from scratch from the grain itself. Thanks for any opinions. Lala

Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Kefir Question

Lala,
I use store bought Kefir daily both organic and regular but have never found that it helps yeast/ candida problems.

But, I do use coconut oil and it helps control candida problems. It contains caprylic acid that does kill candida.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-12-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harry:
I know that kefir does not kill candida, but what i wanted to know is does it hurt candida. Also i use coconut oil also, but i realized that the last one I bought was organic but not extra virgin because i bought the one that has no flavor. I thought i read that it should be the extra virgin in order to get the full benefit. I asked the very knowledgeable man at the store i buy my supplements and he did not think it mattered. What do you know about this. Thanks LaLa

Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

LaLa,

Everyone has candida in the gi tract -- the object is to keep it in balance.

There are over 400 strains of bacteria in your Gastro tract but with antibiotics, other drugs as well as many preservatives in processed foods we eat your system gets out of balance and needs to be rebalanced. Also, we are all different and react differently to foods and drugs.

Some coconut oils have a better taste than others-- I like the better taste of coconut but virgin coconut oil and extra virgin has not made any difference when I use it -- because the active ingredient that kills or nutralizes candida is caprylic acid. You can buy that in capsule form from the Vitamin Shoppe as well as online from other manufactures.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-14-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: addition

Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Harry:
I was also interested in knowing if kefir is not good for someone with an overgrowth of yeast in the gut. I know everyone has yeast but i believe i have an overgrowth that is causing me lots of issues. I have been struggling for years to balance it. I have been on the diet and have taken many supplements. I also know that you are pretty savvy with this stuff. I think I am also but some things are controversial. I will list my questions to you for your opinion.

1. Do you think kefir is beneficial or harmful for candida?
2. What do you think about eating fresh grapefruits? Some diets for candida say you can have it and some say not.
3. Organic granny smith apples. I know that don't kill candida but do you think they are acceptable on the candida diet. Again, this is controversial.
4. What do you think of grapefruit seed extract to kill candida? Have you ever tried it? It is on the list of supplements that are helpful in eradicating this horrible bug

It is always good to get other peoples experiences rather then just reading info on line that we don't really know how reliable the source is.

LaLa

Old 10-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

LaLa,

I think with all the various strains of good friendly bacteria in kefir it is heplful for your Gastro system. But, I don't know if it's specificly useful for candida problems.

I don't eat grapefruit or granny smith apples and have not read anything about their usefulness in treating candida problems.

I have read that grapefruit seed extract is useful in treating candida problems and know of several doctors that use it in their practice. But, know nothing of it's success rate.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harry:
Thanks for your reply. I am going to try to grapefruit seed extract. I have tried many many supplements already and have been to many different natural drs. I think the most important part of getting rid of the overgrowth is the diet. The diet from HELL. It is truly unrealistic to be on that diet all the time. I am pretty good but we all have social lives that revolve around food. In fact, i know that you are from Charleston. I was on vacation there last summer. We has some very memorable dinners in the city. Certainly not candida friendly. (LOL) Talk soon. LaLa

Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Kefir contains friendly bacteria and is a good food, but the sugar in it feeds candida, so it is not helpful to re-balance from an overgrowth of candida.

To rebalance it is better to cut as much sugar and refined carbs as you can out of the diet and to consume plain yogurt and complex carbs for awhile.

Grapeseed oil is good but not for balancing gut flora. Just cut out the sugar for a couple of weeks.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Holy:
Thanks for your reply. I don't understand how kefir has more sugar in it then plain yogurt. I was buying plain kefir but i recently stopped it. I also am using grapefruit seed extract. I have been suffering for years with what i think could be candida. There really is not a test out there that is definitive. Do you have candida and what are your symptoms? I have been sick for a few years with no diagnosis. Very Lyme type symptoms which overlap with candida and lots of other syndromes. I would love your feedback. LaLa

Closed Thread