It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User
test accurate in diagnosing an overgrowth?

Hi All;

Does anybody know of a test that truly is accurate in diagnosing an overgrowth? I have been battling for years whether I have candida or cfs/fibro/lyme/some unknown virus or infection. I have tons of symptoms and no answers. I find the candida diet to be impossible. I try to stay away from sugar but i have somewhat of a life (although very limited now because of health). But when i do go out, i enjoy a drink or two and the other goodies that go along with going out. If i can truly get diagnosed and really believe that I have candida and that is what is causing all of my problems, maybe i would be more motivated to stay on the diet. But i am not totally convinced. So i do eat brown rice and sweet potatoes and blueberries and apples. I also have steel cut oats in my diet. The sweet potatoes are only maybe once a week, but i eat brown rice cereal in the morning with blueberries and flaxmeal with almond milk. But i love my sweets and i will have a piece of dark chocolate or two and also i eat popcorn. I need to munch during the day sometimes and almonds and walnuts get boring after a while. Any advice? Thanks LaLa

Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
(female)

vstevens HB User
Re: Candida and Sugar Addiction

There's no sure-fire way of determining if you have candida, but there are strong clues... like recurring vaginal yeast infections, and you can have the bacteria counts in your stool tested...if you are absent or low in one or more types, there is likely candida.

Candida will be hard to treat, especially if it's been around a while... it's not as easy as just killing it off and going on your way....it takes a good while for the good bacteria to recolonize, especially if you have damaged/leaky intestines that needs to be healed up.

Candida causes multiple systemic issues, some of which unfortunately cause more candida...it's a nasty cycle, and all aspects of the cycle have to be treated to stop it...otherwise the candida will just pick right back up again.

It took me quite some time to mentally prepare myself for candida diet changes, and I put it off way too long...but once I got into the routine, and got used to it, it's not so bad...when you actually start feeling better, its great motivation to keep going.

There is mixed research regarding apple cider vinegar for candida...some say it promotes it, others say it kills it. I would try other remedies that aren't as controversial.

Also pay attention to your probiotics...the live ones are needed to recolonize (generally the refrigerated kind). The dead ones help with digestion for the time they are in your system, but being dead, they aren't able to reproduce and/or cling to the intestine walls. "Live at the time of manufacture" isn't necessarily live at the time you take them! Be careful with yogurt, as the sugars contained in it (both milk and added sugars) can end up feeding more yeast than the probiotics contained in it can kill off.

Last edited by vstevens; 02-08-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread