It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Candida Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

gasproblem HB User
Candida diet and chronic gas

Any advice on what to do when you are lomited on so much with your diet and not allowed sugar on what to eat? For example, I already have IBS and when you eat a ton of veggies you develop gas! It's so frustrating. How do I rid that with eating so many vegetables, fiber, etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User
Re: Candida diet and chronic gas

Gasnomore:
We have spoken before. I am in the same boat as you. I have no answers. Maybe we should try a cleanse. I heard the candigone by renew life is very good. i was thinking about trying it for two weeks with the diet. I have not put my mind to it yet though because i always have a social event that prevents me from staying strict on the diet. One of these days u will do it. I am at my wits end with this chronic gas. Let me know
what you think. LaLa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User

I have had a major candida infection, and after a month of fluconazole (usually given in small doses for vaginal yeast infections) and a round of chelated caprylic acid once a week, I think I've got it pretty much under control according to my recent tests and lack of IBS and skin outbreaks.

HOWEVER, with that out of the way, I find that I have fructose malabsorption syndrome, whose major symptom is intestinal gas. (NB: This is not the same as "fructose intolerance", which is much more problematic.)

Sugar is usually a combination of about 50% fructose and 50% glucose (aka dextrose), and any fruit with a higher proportion of fructose gives me severe gas - for example, apples will make me gassy for days! It's because my gut cannot readily absorb fructose, so it ferments into a gas down there. Apparently, this is quite a common problem.

On the other hand, fruits with a higher glucose proportion (50%+), such as blueberries, give me no gas problem. The existing research says that glucose (dextrose) actually helps the gut absorb the fructose (don't ask me to explain this biochemistry - I haven't a clue). I have bought pure dextrose (glucose) from the health food store and put some on any apples that I have to eat (my lovely neighbor specializes in apple desserts and always wants to share some with me). Glucose tastes much less sweet than fructose, so the extra doesn't really make it overly sweet - but it does raise the ratio to more than 50% glucose and decreases the gas.

I don't think I'm supposed to put a link in here, but if you do an internet search for "fructose malabsorption" you'll find some good articles that also show which fruits are high fructose (gassy) vs. high glucose (safe).

Hope this helps.

Vocrin

Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
It is a case of what suits/agrees with you.
I find uncooked veg very hard to deal with but not too much trouble with the cooked variety.
Cabbage/sprouts are best avoided as they can cause gas. Also you should have just small quantities of vegetables.
Regarding ommiting sugar you can replace that with Xlytol, it is permitted on the Candida diet and is a great replacement instead of sugar also you can cook with it and make your own cookies.
I speak from experience and as someone with a sweet tooth I found I no longer had to give up the sweet taste I enjoyed during my Candida Diet.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User

Research says that xylitol will not feed candida and inhibits certain bacteria (e.g. those that cause tooth decay) and may be the best substitute for sugar. I use xylitol in a saline spray for my nose during colds and allergy season and have had no more sinus infections <knocking on wood>, which I used to have frequently.

My one concern is that since it is known to kill or inhibit certain bacteria, does it kill off any benefical intestinal flora?

Vocrin

Last edited by Vocrinthedes; 05-20-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Closed Thread