It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2002, 11:43 PM   #1

HerBigGuy HB User
Unhappy My Spouse has chronic pain

My wife has chronic pain from a TMJ injury and then developed cervical dystonia.

She is on a long list of pain and anti-spasmatic meds just to maintain her sanity. When she takes her needed meds, it makes her tired and weak. With our 4 children, much of the daily load falls to me. As I work full time and I am treated for depression, life for me can get pretty weird sometimes.

I really just want to talk with others who are dealing with similar issues in their life.

------------------
I need to learn something new every day.

[This message has been edited by HerBigGuy (edited 12-14-2002).]

Old 01-06-2003, 07:04 AM   #2

ww47w HB User
Thumbs up

Hi, I also am a wife with pain and have no one to talk to, until I found a pain forum and eveyone on it has pain and like to talk to others with pain and about their sicknesses. It is called painworld. Thet are very friendly too. I hope this helps. Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 07:30 AM   #3

ww47w HB User
Talking

Hi,I would be happy to talk with you about your troubles as long as you would not mind hearing mine too. I care for my mom at my home and she is not in pain, but I am. Some times it gets tirersome just because mom is so cranky all the time. Not that I blame her, I would be too. She is 83 and has Emphysema. Better known as COPD. Also Dementia. She keeps going form better to worse, and back again. Also Conjestive Heart Faliure.
Is your wife wanting to talk to someone too. I would be happy to talk to her too. I also have pain. My lower back disc is getting old, and I have a pinched nerve in my left leg. It can be very painful. I hope I hear from you again.....Dee

Old 02-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #4

crowepps HB User
Wow - it sounds like you're overwhelmed. The best advice I can give you is to take one day at a time, it's the only way to get through it. Are your children old enough to help take some of the daily chores off your shoulders? They may resist, but if you can organize them into a team of helpers so that the whole family is involved it may help. And it will be very useful to them in the future to know how to do laundry, cook, clean, etc.

Old 02-10-2003, 12:43 AM   #5

pepsi925 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by HerBigGuy:
My wife has chronic pain from a TMJ injury and then developed cervical dystonia.

She is on a long list of pain and anti-spasmatic meds just to maintain her sanity. When she takes her needed meds, it makes her tired and weak. With our 4 children, much of the daily load falls to me. As I work full time and I am treated for depression, life for me can get pretty weird sometimes.

I really just want to talk with others who are dealing with similar issues in their life.

Hi Big guy:

I totally understand what your going thru. My husband is disabled because he had 2 discs in his back removed and he has severe siatic nerve damage. They have him on so many meds he can't remember anything and some days he can't even get out of bed. He is constanly in pain. I work full time and do everything here at home from bills to cleaning and everything in between. That leaves no time for me. I have tried to find a local support group but no luck so far. Some days I feel like I'm losing myself and I should just run away....but I love him... What makes it even harder is that I don't drive. guess i should seriously consider it now. I don't know if this will help but sometimes I stay up all night just for the quietness and time to plan how to conquer the coming weeks or to just plain empty my mind. How do you release your stress or frustrations?

sincerely, Pepsi

Old 02-10-2003, 03:52 PM   #6
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Hi Herbiguy I have been suffering with TMJD for 12 years and I am also on a list of meds. I take oxycontin 20mg 2 x a day plus percocet for breakthrough pain and Dilaudid at bedtime. I have 3 daughters though 2 are grown I still have my 12 year old to look after. The pain can be so bad at times I dont want to do anything but stay in bed. After many failed attempts to treat it with splints I am finally going to have surgery next week the 19th. They are doing an arthroscopy to put the disk back where it belongs and then a long time with physical therapy. What treatments has your wife had? What type of medication is she taking? My meds dont really affect me they make the pain bearable but thats about it and being a single mother I have to function whether I want to or not. I would love to hear more of your situation and maybe I can help considering I am in the possition your wife is. Take care and God Bless.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD...12 years
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured I hope)
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy due to endometrial bleeding after miscarriage (2002)
Hernia Repair(1998)
Apendectomy (infected) 1988
21 year old daughter born with Mullerian Aplasia
18 year old daughter bulimia survivor.
If I can help ANYONE with anything from a papercut to a life threatening illness, I will do my best just to be a friend. " A friend is someone who knows all your faults and loves you anyway".

Old 03-23-2003, 10:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by pepsi925:
Hi Big guy:

I totally understand what your going thru. My husband is disabled because he had 2 discs in his back removed and he has severe siatic nerve damage. They have him on so many meds he can't remember anything and some days he can't even get out of bed. He is constanly in pain. I work full time and do everything here at home from bills to cleaning and everything in between. That leaves no time for me. I have tried to find a local support group but no luck so far. Some days I feel like I'm losing myself and I should just run away....but I love him... What makes it even harder is that I don't drive. guess i should seriously consider it now. I don't know if this will help but sometimes I stay up all night just for the quietness and time to plan how to conquer the coming weeks or to just plain empty my mind. How do you release your stress or frustrations?

sincerely, Pepsi
you MUST learn to drive, even if it is an old clunker -- the sense of freedom you get is awesome ... i had my driver's licence suspended for medical reasons 6 months ago, and my neuro says it's ok to drive again so i should get it back in a couple of months (beaurocracy!) and i NEVER realised how helpless i'd feel ... and how do you do the groceries, for example? just the relief of being able to get away for an hour on a saturday or at nite -- you MUST learn to drive

when i was alone and divorced and had a job, i used to go out just for a drive at nite, to be all alone and quiet --
-- it will open up your life ... please do it http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 03-24-2003).]

Old 06-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
(female)

katoniblue HB User
Re: My Spouse has chronic pain

Hi Big Guy,

I also have cervical dystonia...depression as so comes with it..as with anyone dealing with it......I was wondering how you and your wife, and kids are holding up...does she get botox treatments?..I can tell you where to sign up for a free medical help to pay for the shots that will help her so much and will make her funtion so much better...most of the time......it is an terriable illness...I go through a lot of crap...but I'm trying to exsist with this pain...sometimes it gets hard...get in touch with me as I'm older and have been there...done this...Sue

Closed Thread