It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2003, 03:38 PM   #1

PARISI HB User
Post recuperation for throat/mouth radiation

Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do to help my husband recuperate from his radiation. Any hints as to what I can feed him / he has a stomach tube but is beginning to eat soft food, some baby food, ice cream. Anything special I can give him to start to build him up?

Old 03-18-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User
Ensure,boost,milkshakes with eggs.

------------------
Lynne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2003, 06:13 AM   #3
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI,
MY HUSBAND HAS RECENTLY COMPLETED CHEMO-RADIAITON FOR CANCER OF THE TONGUE. HE CAN ONLY EAT OVER-EASY OR SOFT BOILED EGGS, VANILLA ENSURE, AND SOMETIMES A PANCAKE. I ALSO MAKE HIM VANILLA MILKSHAKES WITH AN ENSURE IN IT. IF HE CAN'T SWALLOW RIGHT NOW TRY TO GET HIM TO DRINK AT LEAST 4-5 ENSURES A DAY. MOST FOODS BURN HIS THROAT AS I AM SURE IS THE SAME IN YOUR HUSBANDS CASE. ALSO USE THE MOUTH RINSES AND GIVE HIM HIS PAIN MEDS 25-30 MINUTES BEFORE HE TRIES TO EAT. ALSO MAKE SURE THE FOOD IS ROOM TEMP. I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL. KEEP ME POSTED ON HE IS DOING.
DEBBIE

Old 03-29-2003, 04:53 AM   #4

PARISI HB User
Thanks Debbie, it's been 4 weeks since my husband stopped treatment and he is getting 3-4 cans of ensure type liquid, some thru his stomach tube and some by mouth but his mouth is still very raw. Do you know how long before the swelling of the tongue and rawness starts to go away? He is starting to eat some baby food but most everything burns his tongue. He really is a trooper but it sure hurts to watch him try to eat. He wants the tube out very badly. My best to you and your husband...hope by summer we're all in a better place.

Old 03-29-2003, 02:41 PM   #5
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI,
YOUR HUSBAND IS FARTHER ALONG THEN RICK, HE JUST COMPLETED HIS TREATMENT LAST WEEK AND I TRULY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR HUSBAND IS GOING THROUGH. THERE ARE A FEW THINGS THAT HAVE HELPED RICK. PLAIN WARM WATER AND A LITTLE SALT HAS GIVEN HIM A LITTLE
RELIEF. HE ALWAYS TAKES HIS PAIN MEDICINE 20 MINUTES BEFORE TRYING TO EAT. THE ONLY THING THAT RICK CAN TOLERATE IS EGGS OVER EASY THEY SEEM TO SLIDE RIGHT DOWN. ALSO CAMPBELLS CHICKEN AND STARS SOUP AT ROOM TEMP. RICK ALSO MIXES HYDROGEN PEROXIDE AND WARM WATER THEN SWISHES (MORE WATER THEN PEROXIDE) ALL OF THESE REMEDIES ARE VERY TEMPORARY BUT ALLOWS HIM TO GET A LITTLE FOOD DOWN. HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO EAT BABY FOOD BECAUSE IT TO ACIDIC, TRY THE EGGS AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS. I TOLD RICK THAT THIS TREATMENT FOR TONGUE AND THROAT CANCER SHOULD BE USED AS A WEAPON IN WAR. IT'S ROUGH AND AGGRESSIVE BUT I KEEP TELLING MYSELF AND RICK THAT IT'S OVER AND IN A FEW MONTHS HE WILL BE FEELING LIKE HIMSELF AGAIN. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST AND PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED. OH, HOW IS HIS SKIN FROM THE RADIATION? I HAVE A GREAT SOLUTION FOR YOU THAT HELPED RICK'S SKIN. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.

Old 03-30-2003, 09:55 AM   #6

PARISI HB User
Hi, yes I guess my husband is a little ahead in time. We really figured he'd be farther along by now as far as the swelling and burning but it looks like it'll take as long as the treatments to get back to almost normal. I'm going to try the eggs today and see how he does. His skin is coming along pretty well. It's 200% better than it was a month ago and I rub him down every day with the radiation moisterizer and Ponds dry skin cream and it seem to work well. One of the things that kind of ticked me off was that we had a trip planned for the beginning of March and the doctor said he'd be fine for traveling by the end of March so we changed our plans and now we're leaving April 2nd and I can't change the flights again without losing more money than we did the first time. I wish they would have been honest with us and told us how long this recuperation really takes. My husband still really wants to go but I am reluctant. We see the doctor tomorrow and he may take out the tube. So I'm half packed and half on hold. We will see. On one hand I can understand why he wants to go, he's seen nothing for the last six months but the hospital and home. He wants to sit on the beach and try to drink a beer (which he still can't get down), or at least something cold and watch the ocean. If the doctor ok's it I'll pack up the Ensure and baby food and go. My best to you and your husband, and from one who knows first hand, give yourself a break now and then, you need it too.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #7
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI, WANTED TO KNOW HOW YOUR HUSBANDS DOCTORS VISIT WENT? HOPING EVERYTHING WENT WELL. IF YOU DECIDE TO TRAVEL HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP AND I WILL KEEP YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND IN MY PRAYERS.

DEBBIE

Old 04-12-2003, 04:56 PM   #8

PARISI HB User
Hi Debbie, yes we went on our trip to Mexico. They left the tube in because he hadn't gained enough weight back so I left the decision up to him and he wanted to go. All the airport people were great, they had a wheelchair ready at both ends of our trip and boy did that make it easier to manage the luggage and my husband at the same time. To be honest it wasn't easy taking care of him and handling all the stuff a trip entails. If we had to do it again I don't think we would. It was just too soon and he's still too weak. He's still not eating much other than the liquid and cream of wheat and a little of the baby food. He's really trying but his tongue is still really sore and everything still burns. How is your husband doing? Is he eating better? How are you doing? My best to both of you. Hang in there. Oh yes, I knew there was something I wanted to ask you. Does your husband have dentures? Mine does and they tell us it will be a year before they can fit him with new ones since the treatment has changed his mouth. That's another thing they didn't tell us beforehand.

[This message has been edited by PARISI (edited 04-18-2003).]

Old 04-20-2003, 07:51 AM   #9
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI, AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY! RICK IS GETTING FRUSTRATED, HE THINKS HE SHOULD BE BACK TO NORMAL. ACTUALLY HE IS FEELING A LITTLE BETTER TODAY
AND IS GOING TO TRY SOME "REAL" FOOD FOR DINNER. HE DOESN'T HAVE DENTURES BUT I CAN TELL THAT HIS TEETH
ARE NOT AS HEALTHY AS THEY SHOULD BE. NEXT WEEK HE SEES THE DENTIST, DOCTOR AND ENT THEN HE HAS HIS SCANS TO SEE IF THE CANCER HAS BEEN COMPLTELY KILLED. HIS HAIR HAS STARTED COMING IN BUT HE THINKS IT'S NOT FAST ENOUGH. HOW IS YOUR HUSBAND FEELING? HAVE YOU TRIED THE OVER-EASY EGGS FOR HIM? I ALSO WANTED TO TELL YOU WHAT HAS BEEN HELPING, SMALL AMOUT OF SALT AND BAKING SODA IN A GLASS OF WARM WATER THEN RINSE, IT HELPS THE SORENESS AND THE MUCOUS IN THE MOUTH. IT MAY BURN AT FIRST BUT IT HAS REALLY HELPED RICK. HAS YOUR HUSBAND HAD HIS SCANS YET? RICK TOLD ME THIS MORNING THAT IF THEY HAVEN'T KILLED THE CANCER HE ISN'T GOING THROUGH THIS TREATMENT AGAIN. I AM PRAYING THAT THIS WORKED BECAUSE I COULDN'T BARE LOSING HIM. PLEASE KNOW THAT I AM KEEPING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IN MY PRAYERS AND WISH YOUR HUSBAND TO BE FREE FROM PAIN AND ASAP!!!

Old 04-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #10

PARISI HB User
Hi Debbie, so glad to hear Rick is feeling better and I hope he suceeds in eating the "real" food. I sympathize with his wanting to get back to normal my Sal is the same way. He's just tired of being sick and tired. I've told him about Rick and he said to tell him to hang in there cause it's got to get better they've been thru the worst. He also agrees that he will never go thru this again which puts me in the same position as you are, I sure don't want to lose him so the cancer has got to be all gone. I think all we can do is hold that positive thought and say some prayers. Sal goes for his scans the end of May so we won't know till then. You and Rick have been in my thoughts very often and in my prayers. May we both have good news to report at the end of this. Yes, we've tried the eggs and he's pretty good about getting most of them down but it's still going to be afew more weeks I think before alot of the healing will kick in. Take care and let me hear from you.

Old 04-25-2003, 01:21 PM   #11
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI,
HOPING SAL IS FEELING BETTER, RICK HAD HIS SCANS YESTERDAY AND WE WILL KNOW NEXT TUES THE OUTCOME. HE IS ALSO SCHEDULED NEXT THURS, FOR BIOPSIES TO MAKE SURE THE RADIATION WORKED. I'M SURE THAT HIS THROAT IS REALLY GOING TO HURT AFTER THIS. WE ARE PLANNING TO GET TO FLORIDA TO SEE FAMILY OVER THE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND RICK CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE A CHANGE OF SCENERY.
WHEN WILL YOUR HUSBAND HAVE HIS SCANS DONE? ALL WE CAN DO IS PRAY AND KEEP GOOD THOUGHTS FOR A POSITIVE OUTCOME! WE WISH YOU BOTH A WONDERFUL WEEKEND AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW RICKS TESTS COME OUT.

Old 04-25-2003, 02:36 PM   #12

PARISI HB User
Hi Debbie, I can't tell you how much luck we wish you and Rick about the scans. Just keep holding the good thoughts. Sal will be having his the end of May. They didn't say anything about biopsies where he is concerned but then they don't tell us much of anything until they just do it. But now I'll be sure to ask them. Hope you do get away it will do you both good. I think Sal will be getting the tube out next Monday if they decide he's eating enough on his own and he really is trying. Have a good weekend and let us know as soon as you hear.

Old 05-01-2003, 05:37 AM   #13
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI, I WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE FIRST SCANS SHOW THAT THE CANCER IS GONE. I AM STILL IN A STATE OF SHOCK, GRATEFULNESS AND RELEIF! RICK IS HAVING HIS BIOPSY DONE TODAY, IF THAT IS NEGATIVE THEN IT LOOKS LIKE HE IS HOME FREE. FROM WHAT THE DOCTORS SAY ONCE ALL THESE TESTS COME BACK NORMAL WE ONLY HAVE TO SEE THE DOCTORS EVERY OTHER MONTH. THANKS FOR YOUR WARM WISHES AND PLEASE KEEP ME UPDATED ON HOW YOUR HUSBAND IS DOING. ONCE HE HAS HIS TEST DONE LET ME KNOW. I WILL KEEP YOU BOTH IN MY PRAYERS!!! DEBBIE

Old 05-16-2003, 02:56 PM   #14

PARISI HB User
Hi Debbie, sorry it took me so long to get back to you but we were gone for 2 weeks and just got home yesterday. I can't tell you how very glad I am to hear about Rick. You must be so relieved. Score one for the good guys. Sal is coming along but the eating is still going slowly. He's not much past baby food and cream of wheat and still trying to get down 3-4 cans of the liquid. His scans are next Thursday so hold a good thought for us. I'm praying every waking moment that we will be as lucky as you two. The alternative is just too scary to think about. I'll let you know as soon as we hear. I'm so happy for you. Take care

Old 05-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #15
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI,
PLEASE LET ME KNOW ONCE SAL GETS HIS SCANS BACK, WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU BOTH. I WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT WHEN WE WENT FOR RICKS CHECK-UP ONE OF THE OTHER PATIENTS HAVING THE SAME TREATMENT AS OUR HUSBANDS IS GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING AS SAL. IT IS TAKING LONGER THAN THEY EXPECTED FOR THE THROAT TO HEAL. THE DOCTOR SAID IT IS BECAUS EOF THE FEEDING TUBE. SO TELL SAL TO HANG IN IT WILL GET BETTER. ALL OUR BEST TO YOU!!

DEBBIE

Closed Thread