It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2003, 08:00 AM   #1

PARISI HB User
Post Need advice on weight gain products for post cancer eating without teeth

Anyone know of any product that help with weight gain for people that have no teeth. My husband is eating baby food, shakes, eggs, some fish and I'm giving him vitamins and iron. Is there anything, any product that someone has used that helps with gaining the weight back? He lost almost 50 pounds and so far isn't getting it back.

Old 06-25-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI,
IT'S DEBBIE, I HOPE SAL IS FEELING BETTER, I WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT RICK WAS DRINKING PROSURE FROM ROSS, IT HAS THE MOST CALORIES FOR A SUPPLEMENT. I PUT IT IN THE MILK SHAKES AND HE WOULD ALSO DRINK THEM RIGHT OUT OF THE CAN. HE NEEDS TO DRINK 5-6 CANS PER DAY. HOPE THIS HELPS. KEEP ME POSTED.

DEB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2003, 02:38 PM   #3

PARISI HB User
Hi Debbie, good to hear from you again. Sal's doing ok but we found out that they won't fit him for new dentures until next Feb. He just can't eat enough to start gaining his weight back and it's got me pretty worried. Yes, we've got him on a high calorie drink schedule but that's not doing the trick. I just thought that someone out there might know of some powder or additive I can give him that helps put the weight on. I'm at the point where I'll try anything. Glad to hear you two are doing good, your both in our thoughts, we almost feel as if we know you guys. Take care and let me hear from you once in awhile.

Old 06-28-2003, 04:33 AM   #4

samsgram HB User
Hi

My husband is having the same problem. We met with a nutritionist and she said to add dry milk to everything. I also went on line the other day and started looking for things that are high in calories that he might be able to handle and found out a banana split is loaded! We are only using a PEG at this time due to recurrance but I am determined to figure out how to get that banana split and all of it's calories either into that tube or in a form that he might be able to handle by mouth. He also has been on 6 cans of liquid a day at 360 cal. a can but the weight just isn't coming back.

Old 06-28-2003, 08:29 AM   #5

PARISI HB User
Hi, I know what you mean as far as trying to get enough calories into them. My husband is also drinking the high calorie content drinks but as you know yourself they are just not good enough. I've had some success with cream soups, I add real cream instead of milk and put them in the blender, these he can eat by mouth, ice cream with chocolate and whipped cream on top (I join him in this) I'm the one gaining weight, not him. I just went out and bought a protein powder that I'm adding to some of his milkshakes. I guess we just have to play it day to day and try to build them up. We've contacted a dentist who is going to try to make some temporary dentures until he can have permanent ones made in about 8-9 months when his mouth is healed. Hopefully that will help his eating. My best to you and your husband and I hope he'll be doing better soon.

Old 07-04-2003, 12:49 PM   #6

PARISI HB User
I just wanted to post an update on Sal. We did go to a dentist and he's going to reline Sal's dentures and he'll have them next Tuesday and he's happier than I've seen him in a long time. Just the thought of chewing has him giddy. As for me, I can't wait to cook him something he can "bite" into. Have a great holiday.

Closed Thread