It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #1

lauras3rules HB User
Post A bedsore that just won't heal

Myself and my hospice nurses seem to be in a predicament that none of us are sure what to do.. My mother is 74 and in hospice care because of COPD and congestive heart failure..
She hates being on her side because it causes her such shortness of breath.. Yet, she has one small bed sore on her tail bone that just will not heal.. We have tried keeping her more on her side, which of course causing the shortness of breath, anxiety etc.

We have prescription medication that the doctor has ordered along with Basa Cream to help.. Yet this sore is a bugger and will not go away.. It has been persisting for three months now.. It is very small. About the size of and index fingernail.. Yet just today it "burst" and a bunch of puss came out and now there is a small hole about the size of a pea.. HELP..

Has anyone ever had to deal with these, and can you give me some advice as to how to heal this sore??? It only seems to bother mom once in a while when she is on her back, but the trama of putting her on her side is much worse.

I know mom is dying and that this may be part of the process IE wounds that don't want to heal.. But there has GOT to be a way to lesson the discomfort when she is on her back.. She already has an air matress that distribuates the air accordingly, and I am sure to keep the area cleam and medicated daily.. Am I doing all that I can??? Any Advice???? Thank you. Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
Inactive

hootie HB User
Well, it doesn't sound like a bedsore. It sounds like from your description that it is a pilonidal cyst. It won't get any bigger than it already is. Usually, these have to be removed by surgically cutting them out. If it was me, since she is in hospice, I would just keep it cleaned and drained. It won't hurt to lay on a pilonidal cyst. The discomfort goes away when the cyst drains. It will fill up again. I have had these myself. That's all they do is fill up, burst, and drain. Lying on a pilonidal cyst or not lying on it won't help nor hurt. Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:32 AM   #3

sierraismyname HB User
First let me say how sorry I am that you have to go through this...after loosing my mom, dad, grandparents and stepfather all to cancer in a few years I know how mentally challenging and exhausting it can be as well as devasting!

We have an emergency baby shelter home...we get a lot of babies right from hospitals that are drug addicted and in terrible shape! Their little bums are so red and sometimes bleeding...no one has ever been able to tell us what would heal these little sore bums! I went in search of on the net and found a product that sounded pretty good....so I talked to my druggist to see if he could get it since I couldn't find it over the counter....it's like $8.00 a tube, not terribly expensive and goes a long way...I contacted the company of the product because I had a few more questions...they were wonderful! SEnt me free products for my babies..it took about a week to see improvement but it DOES and did heal the bums that were almost bleeding...this stuff is used in hospitals for bedridden patients...you can look it up on the net or talk to your druggist..it DOES heal bed sores..they have a video and all the documentation on it...

CALMOSEPTINE ointment...

it supposedly numbs as it heals..had a small spot on my finger that was raw from being in so much water, it got it well in a day...you can call the company if you'd like...just tell them Sierra told you to call

1-800-800-3405

IF you get some and try it, there is NO need to clean the product off each time..in fact they recommend that you clean very gently and leave the residue on and add more product...it's fairly thick so a little goes a long way...
can't hurt to try it...

INGREDS: Calamine, Zinc Oxide, Menthol, Sodium Bicarbonate, Phenol, Lanolin, Thymol, chlorothymol, and glycerine...

If I was closer I'd give you some sample packets..

Good luck...
God bless!
A Big Hug....

Sierra

Old 07-27-2003, 08:29 PM   #4

jbj117 HB User
I'm new to this board, so I may be too late to be of any use on this, but I would suggest getting a 'donut" for her to lie on. I'm sure you've seen them -- it's a round soft foam form with a hole in the middle, made specifically for sitting on to alleviate stress on sore backsides. The previous post about the pilonidal cyst made me think of it. I have had them, too, and used a "donut" after surgery. Regardless of the source of the sore/ulcer/cyst, relieving the pressure and friction on it is key to it's healing. I hope that you have already found a solution and that the wound is now healing. If it is a bedsore, it could have developed into an ulcer (sounds infected, if it is a sore). If it's a pilonidal cyst, it may or may not recur after bursting. Mine came back, but my sister's didn't. One primary way to distinguish between a pilonidal cyst from other wounds is by odor (gross, I know). An infected pilonidal cyst has a very strong, very unpleasant odor. To prevent bedsores on my mother, who is post-stroke, we have had good success using a large "sheet" of lamb's wool underneath her (artificial works as well as the real thing, and is readily available as "fleece" at fabric stores). Many blessings on you and your family during this time of healing.

Old 08-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #5

Kre HB User
If this is a true bedsore, try circular rubbing the area "gently" around the sore to help get blood circulating in the area.

There are plain and also medicated patches to put over the bedsores that act like a thin skin.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:37 PM   #6

lauras3rules HB User
I'm sorry it took me so long to respond to the answers.. Turns out that my mother's sore is infected with a brutile staph infection.. That is why it has not been healing.. She has been on antibiotics for some time as well and an ointment for the sore called Iodosorb.. This is a nasty staph infection that is hard to cure, and so since my mom is in such bad shape, I think the goal is to keep it from getting worse, as the doctor says that this sore will probably outlive my mom.. So.... Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.. I hope and pray that God in his mercy keeps her from anymore pain.. Thanks for all the answers. Laura

Old 09-02-2003, 01:02 PM   #7

Joy Passion HB User
Talking

Hi there,
I am a care-giver and I just signed up for this bullitin board. I was very glad to happen on it.
I have a suggestion that worked for me for my elderly mother when I cared 3 yrs. for her. She was on Hospice the last year of her life. She had CHF and Alzheimer's. She passed Nov last yr.
I became a CNA so that I could care for her. I have such a passion for the elderly and their quality of life, I wanted to give her the best care.
After she became bed-ridden, she too had an air mattress, and she had to be turned every 2-4 hours. This is very advantageous in preventing bed-sores. However, as it came to her age deterioration the body is incapable of repairing and healing itself as it did in the past when one can at least get out of bed, and not be so fragile to move. Some of the rotation exercises in bed helped, and raising her legs up prevented edema in her legs more. It helps to sit them up at a 45' angle and prop their heads up good with pillows. Then you can turn them on their sides while in a 45' using more pillows to prop them from rolling back over to their backs. Many times they will even adjust themselves before you get to re-adjust again.
My suggestion: When it seemed that Basa Cream as well could not do the trick completely I found that Zinc oinment- regular one, like what we use for our babies rashed bottoms, it worked pretty well for a while. I then started washing her one sore she developed on her talebone area with a salt water solution ( 2 TBSp per 1gal. water ) I would cleanse with Hibiclens and then salt-water-soak it. That was done about 3 times a day. It cleared it up completely after about 2 weeks.. Later she got one from a nail scratch which appeared on her hip. Seems they come with the territory of the aged.
Praise God for the Hospice workers. They do so much and help relieve the families stress. Also, do ask to have someone come to sit and read for them while you do errands, gives you an opportunity to have some pressure off. It is hard to detach the guilt, but if you keep doing everything you can, and it still takes it's path, you know that you can forgive that which you can not control. It is in our maker's hands. And he will reward those who show compassion.
I hope this helps. It was a bit lengthy. God Bless
For your compassion, with love Joy Passion

Old 10-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #8

hmm419 HB User
Hi there, that is terrible you have to go through all of this, and your poor mom... I have great luck with Calmoseptine ointment, also sween dream, put out by the same people who put out Baza cream. But Baza is an antifungal oinment and will not do anything to help heal this sore. If you go to your pharmacy they can mix up an iointment called "Dr. Emery's ointment, it is a great skin protectant and is used also on babies as well as compromised adults. There is another ointment that also works great put out by Sween called Critic Aid. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Old 10-16-2003, 04:12 PM   #9

hmm419 HB User
Arrow

That was supposed to be Sween Cream, not Sween dream, lol. I can't get it to edit... sorry!!

Old 10-26-2003, 04:56 AM   #10

happyface03 HB User
My father was bedridden for years so he was prone to bed sores. My mother used to mix a paste of merthiolate and milk of magnesia and apply to the sores just as they were beginning. It worked wonders and the home health nurses always praised her for the care she gave my father. I don't know how she heard of this, but it really worked for her.

Closed Thread