It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

Ariaden HB User
bad caregivers

i constantly hear stories about bad caregivers from the woman i work for. it pisses me off SO much! all the time she tells me what her other caregivers have done to her. just horrible things. not even taking care of her, forgetting to give her her nebulizer and insulin in the morning EVERY time! not washing underneath the fold of her belly causing her to get an infection and having to be hospitalized for WEEKS! there is something seriously wrong with this. why are there SO many bad caregivers? my grandma has a caregiver and she always talked about how lucky she was to have such a woman girl working for her. and i always thought she was weird for saying that but now i understand! good caregivers are hard to come by! virginia (the woman i work for) told me that out of all 7ish caregivers that she's had only two were even decent. when they'd bathe her they'd just jerk her around and not even care. they're called CAREgivers for a reason.. and virginia is just about the nicest lady you could ever meet. i don't see why someone would treat her bad. she has poor circulation and needs her legs rubbed every day. well they weren't doing a good job at all. virginia went to the doctors and her doctor said her legs looked the best they've ever looked. IT'S NOT EVEN THAT HARD! you just rub each leg 15 minutes every day! what is wrong with these people!? i don't understand why someone would become a caregiver if they're just going to be mean and treat the people like ****. then. even apply? and how in the WORLD could you hit an elderly person? oh it makes me so maaaaaaaaad. i really want to do something about it but i don't even know where to start. these orginizations (rest-homes, caregiving, assisted living ETC.) really need to do better background checks or something so they'll know that the people they're employing are going to be good to the elderly people. i don't even know why i posted this i just needed to rant i guess...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
Re: bad caregivers

Everybody wants a paycheck, but a lot don't want a J-O-B!

I am with you.... if they don't like the job, QUIT and get one they like! There is no excuse for mistreating or neglecting someone that is in your care!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

Ditzy44 HB User

I agree with you totally. But I can also tell you many times you just can never please them. Once you leave they bad mouth you too. This may not be so in your case. I have seen it in so many cases though....

Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NaturalPeace HB User

I think this is a great thread. There are a lot of bad caregivers our there. I have seen and heard things, both while I did candy striping and when I worked in care giving. But you know there are some clients that can make even the best caregiver start to hate their job. I will never do it for a living again after the first and last client I had.

By the end of my time working for this lady she would have me in tears 90% of the days I worked for her. I was always nice to her and worked real hard to keep things just like she wanted them. She would get evil with me, they started upping her medications when I worked so she would calm down. And she would tell the other girls I worked with just horrible things about me, things I would never think of doing to anyone in a million years. I tell you the few months working with her made it so I don't even like caring for my own family members.

So yes there are some bad caregivers, but I think a certain amount of them are made that way after years of dealing with difficult clients. I feel however if you get to that point you need to do as I did and walk away from it as a job and find something else to do. I mean no one deserves to be treated poorly and when you are in your end of life years you should have the best treatment around.

Take care all,
Natural Peace

Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
(female)

HoneyLovesDanny HB User

I understand your sentiments and my heart goes to you. I live in south Texas and been working as a Certified Nurse Aide in nearby nursing homes for over a month now. I love my job so much and I really put my heart and soul into it.
Base on my daily experience working with other CNA's, I get to witness the best and worst care in my entire life. Although there are quite a few who are really dedicated and hard working individuals but some aren't working for the right reasons. I don't know if they get too tired of doing it after working long hours for many years and sometimes had to deal with difficult clients every single day and get paid very low. Whatever the reasons are, neglect is unacceptable. The family of these individuals paid thousands of dollars so they indeed have the right to demand the best quality of care for their loveones.

Usually, I am one of the 2 assigned CNAs to do the showers in the morning and to give the resident a nice and good bath. What gets to my nerve is when the other CNA is not doing it right. I feel pity for those residents whom she showers. She didn't even bother to ask the resident about the water temperature if its too hot or too cold. And when she showers these residents, it only take maybe 20-30 seconds, of course the back of the hair is not even wet! How can a person get totally cleaned if you only give 20-30 seconds of shower?! What's the purpose? I just bite my tongue and finish the shower she started. I cannot afford seeing these residents who are heavily soiled when they get in the shower and still soiled when they get out of the shower.

Another thing, I really hate when they leave these residents in the middle of feeding because its gonna be time for their break. Or sometimes, they take their breaks at thesame time and no one left in the hall to answer call lights. Most of them have work there for many years and I sense that they take advantage of me maybe perhaps Im the newest employed CNA. I tried my very best and do my job to the best of my knowledge and tries to ignore these flaws that i've seen from my co-workers. These are few of the many worst scenarios i've witness and it is devastating.

But I blame it to the Administration or to the one who run these facilities/ nursing homes. These kind of situation shouldn't be tolerated and if possible installing hidden cameras in every rooms of the patients to track down the bad caregivers.

(sigh)

Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
(female)

cricket2764 HB User

I feel you are right about the cameras. Families place thier loved ones there to get good care, and they do not seem to be getting it. Families have a right to know how loved ones are treated when they are not present. I give you a big congratulations for going back and finishing others so called work.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
(female)

Ariaden HB User

thats very kind of you to finish the showers that the others started. and i completely agree with you that's is the administrations responsibility to hire the right people. and not only that, they should be interviewing the recipients at least monthly and asking if they're satisfied with the care. this should become a law or something. that all patients receiving care are interviewed. and they should be encouraged on a frequent basis to report bad care. not only in nursing homes but hospitals and mental facilities. bad caregiving is everywhere. there really should be some kind of national organization that is responsible for the welfare of all patients receiving care, whether they're mentally handicapped, disabled, elderly etc..

if they DID give monthly interviews to all the patients i'll bet on it that we would see a HUGE drop in the poor work (and moral) ethic of the employees. because they'd be afraid of loosing their job so they'd HAVE to do it right

Last edited by Ariaden; 03-08-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
(female)

cricket2764 HB User

I can tell you about bad care in hospital. Almost a year ago I had a hysterectomy came from recovery to my room and my sister said I asked for 45 mins for someone to come help me to bathroom. She said she went down hall to nurses desk and chewed them out. I do not totally remember everything but can remember asking to go potty.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
(female)

Ariaden HB User

we don't have a problem with the hospital. our hospital nurses are actually excelent. along with most of the doctors (we live in a rural area with one hospital) BUT we've had our only nursing home closed down because it was so bad.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

mworry HB User

I think it's a fair assumption to say there are a lot of poor caregivers out there. But don't get me wrong, it's a problem all the way from doctors down to housekeeping. I'm sorry to say that's it's like that in a lot of other professions also. Unfortunately it's nothing short of "work ethic" or lack thereof.
The wages are awful and the education level required for some of the positions is minimal. I know it's frustrating as the patient or patient family member, but I blame a lot of the problems with management and money. The good CNA's work their tail off making up for the ones who don't give a dang. Caretakers are in such high demand that it takes a lot for management to get rid of the "dead wood" thus burning out the "good" ones.
If you really want to make a difference, have you considered volunteer work at an assisted living community or a change of job? The medical field is very rewarding and needs good hearted people (like yourself) to help fix the problems it suffers.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

I had a major back surgery not to long ago. Not even 24 hours later I had a CNA trying to yank me up out of bed by pulling my arm. Then she was yelling at me because I did not have my arm the right way for her to take my blood pressure. She even went so far to tell me that if I complained about how much pain I was in they would take me back to the OR for more surgery. After she left all I could do was cry ( I could not even roll over at that point in time ) while crying in horrible pain feeling like no cared, I could hear her talking about me in the hall way ( yes I heard her say my full name ) saying what a pain in the a@@ I was and that I was a big baby. Looking back on this I would like to see how she would be feeling if someone cut her back open and put in pins and screws, I bet she would be crying too. I could never treat anyone like this. I will never forget this woman, as much as I would love too! Her angry face is burned into my mind. Next time I have togo in to hospital for anything my neck better be hang off. Scared to death of the health care givers.

Last edited by xzx; 03-15-2007 at 05:41 AM.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Jennii42000:

Your experience is exactly the reason why every patient should have a family member or friend stay with them 24/7 while in the hospital.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
(female)

Ariaden HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennii42000 View Post
I had a major back surgery not to long ago. Not even 24 hours later I had a CNA trying to yank me up out of bed by pulling my arm. Then she was yelling at me because I did not have my arm the right way for her to take my blood pressure. She even went so far to tell me that if I complained about how much pain I was in they would take me back to the OR for more surgery. After she left all I could do was cry ( I could not even roll over at that point in time ) while crying in horrible pain feeling like no cared, I could hear her talking about me in the hall way ( yes I heard her say my full name ) saying what a pain in the a@@ I was and that I was a big baby. Looking back on this I would like to see how she would be feeling if someone cut her back open and put in pins and screws, I bet she would be crying too. I could never treat anyone like this. I will never forget this woman, as much as I would love too! Her angry face is burned into my mind. Next time I have togo in to hospital for anything my neck better be hang off. Scared to death of the health care givers.
i'm so sorry to hear about your experience with that horrible woman! people are so cruel sometimes i swear...

Old 03-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
Jennii42000:

Your experience is exactly the reason why every patient should have a family member or friend stay with them 24/7 while in the hospital.
This happened at 2:30 A.M. My Dad had stayed with me since I went into surgery ( took 9 hours ). He had been up for 48 hours, so I sent him home at midnight to get some sleep. I never thought in a million years that I should be scared of a nurse or nurses aid in the hospital. Boy was I wrong. If a loved one every goes into the hospital for anything, I will never leave their side for a second. Really sad that you have to do that.

Thanks Ariaden for your words! I am still shocked that woman treated me that way! I could never do that to anyone. My hat goes off the nurses and aides that are out there that do care, thank you.

Closed Thread