It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
(female)

rhales199 HB User
Angry Just need to vent ... Dr's offices....

I am a caregiver for my DH, who has Cerebral PAlsy.
Along with what for us is 'the normal stuff' we deal with every day becuase of his CP, he's had a pinched nerve in his right shoulder since early MAy.
When we first went to his Dr, she told him to try PT, and if that didn't help, she would have him get an MRI.
Well, the PT didn't help, so he saw here again MONDAY to see about an MRI. After having to wait 1 1/2 hours in the Dr's office for Tygh's SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT!!!! WE finally got in to see her, and MRI is what will be done next.
Well, now, we've been having a battle with the da^$%$#%$# Dr.'s office. The MRI will be done at a local hospital. The Dr.s' office told us TUESDAY that someone from the Hospital will call within 24 hours to schedule the MRI. well, 24 hours came and went, and no call. So Tygh calls the Dr's office. Tuseday... and Wednesday. FInally on Wednesday, they tell him, "oh, yeah, I think they said they haven't called you yet because they weren't sure what kind of MRI you need". WE never heard anything from the hospital. Tygh called the DR's Office aagin yesterday... still nothing, so he called them AGAIN today!!!

Today, the nurse said 'Oh, YOU'RE supposed to call THEM and schedule it'!!!! (This was the same nurse who helped him MONDAY). I was gone all day, so when I found out all this CRAP, it was too late to call the hospital.

Let's juust say, TYGH and I were both LIVID!!!! YOu mean to tell me that my husband has spent four days calling you and you could never BOTHER to tell him that he could/ needed to call the hospital himself!?!?!? WHAT THE $%%^&(^)$@##$@@#$!?!?!?! YOu mean that my husband has just spent four days needlessly in extra pain because some idiots couldnt' THINK to tell him he could take care of all this himself.

Can I just say, I have NEVER been very impressed with this particualr clinic. The only reason we went there in the first place was for Tygh to continue being a patient of this Dr. He was her patient at a different clinic before she transferred to this one. WE never would have been treated like this at the other clinic. THis just makes me want to switch back to the other clinic (there's a Dr. still there that's also very good).

It would be sooo nice to not have to fight with everyone just to get the things we need done!!

Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User
Re: Just need to vent ... Dr's offices....

Becky---
Vent away!!! Stuff like this happens all the time and it drives me nuts. Then when you get the bill you just look at it and think--"I can't believe they charged me this for the hassle of practically doing the job for them....." Healthcare in the US is really broken in a LOT of ways..........don't get me started.....my hubby had a liver transplant last SEPTEMBER and we STILL Have not ironed out all the bills. I have four enormous notebooks jam packed with the bills, rebills, etc. NOT ONE SINGLE claim was paid appropriately nor on time. We live in Utah--they were paying hospitals in Idaho----what the????? Not one person who worked for the ins. co at the start of the transplant program at the start is there now......so I repeat my story EVERY SINGLE TIME I CALL. It's like talking to brick walls-------I hear you though--it's appalling and frustrating-----I feel your anger and pain and join with you--if that makes any difference!!

Liz

Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
(female)

rhales199 HB User

It's great to know that others are just as frustrated as I am!!!!!!

One nice thing is that my DH is on Medicaid, so we USUALLY (note that I said USUALLY) don't have any problems with billing. [However, as far as Medicaid, there have been times where I've had to wiat TWO hours at the parmacy to get a new perscription for DH filled---- WHY, because it took that long for MEDICAID to approve it!!!!).

ON a good note, he called the hospital first thing Monday morning, and got his MRI scheduled, and was able to have it done yesterday afternoon.
[Now doesn't it seem RIDICULOUS that it took a week of fighting with the Dr's office, but only two days to actually get in and get it done once he got it scheduled?????]

By the Way, I was born & raised in the Salt Lake area (West Valley), and DH grew up there. The major reason we moved to Idaho was that Utah Medicaid kicked him off of it, and we fought it as best we could for 1 1 /2 years and still couldn't get back on. 'They' said he missed his 'yearly review'. The only notice he ever would have gotten about any sort of review would have been through the mail, and his mail service was very screwed up at the time, plus he's also legally blind and can't read regular print (which they should have known).
At the time. we were newly married, nad were very poor college students at Weber State. We didn't have a car, so had to rely on either walking or the bus to get any where. We went in to the Ogden Medicaid office, and were told that we had to go to Salt Lake and do all the stuff there in order for him to get back on Medicaid. Well, the only way we could do that is for us to both take a day away from school and ride the bus all the way there and back(which takes forever). There was absolutely no way we could do that. Then DH got Bronchitis and the Flu Thanksgiving of 1999 and, becuase he couldn't go to a Dr, had it until after Christmas. That's when his mom, who lived in Southern Idaho, suggested we move in with her and she wuold help him get the help he needed. We moved there Dec. of 1999 and he was on Idaho Medicaid by the end of January.

So, yeah, I know how frustrating it can be!!

Becky

Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Becky--
Small world, you're the only person I've ever talked to on these boards who I think even know where Utah is--j/k---sorry you had so much trouble with Medicaid. Any gov't thing is a pain, I know. we had my dad trying to get on it since he was disabled so young and my poor mom about went bonkers working thru the beauracracy.....we have private health care ins thru my hubby's work but trust me, they haven't been great to work with at all. We've paid a large portion of his liver transplant and now a huge portion of the drugs he's on to treat the HepC. PLUS we also pay a huge chunk of ins, premiums, too. So I guess nobody has it good!!
Hope things go well now and your hubby gets some help & relief.
Liz

Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz49 View Post
Becky--
Small world, you're the only person I've ever talked to on these boards who I think even know where Utah is--j/k---Liz
THat gave me a good laugh!! I've gone back East several times, and been asked by people living there where I was from. I say "Idaho" (or Utah, as the case was when I was a teenager). They're like,"Where's that?". I say "out west", and they get this shocked look on their fiace like they didn't realize that poeple actually live west of the Missippi or something!!

DH's Dr's office called us today (yeah, they were actually on the ball and FAST and did their job this time!!! YEAH!!) and told us that it looks like where it is pinched is near his spine at the base of his neck, and they're now sending him to a neurosurgeon and the neuro will tell us more about the results of the MRI, as well as what to do next (really sounds to me like he'll need surgery).

Old 08-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Well, darn, surgery's no fun, but if it releives the pain.....yeah, I've gotten that "oh, so you live on the coast?" question a lot...do people not have to study geography???? I know where all the states are, why don't people east of the Missouri think there's anything out here?? Actually, I'd just as soon nobody else move out here, personally--we love to hike & climb and it's getting too crowded for our tastes!! Well, and we did have to invite the whole,world here for the Olympics, then we had to be nice to them.....twas a tough two weeks :^) Good luck with hubby's neck!! If it isn't one thing, it's another!!
Liz

Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
(female)

rhales199 HB User

I'm with you... I'd just as soon nobody else moves here as well. It drives me nuts when people (especailly gov't or business) are always happily saying, 'wow, look how much we're growing!!!'.
To me, a whole lot of growth is annoying and well, rather disgusting. When I was a little girl, pretty much the whole area near my neighborhood was farms or tomato fields (and my house and neighboring houses had just been built a year or two before). The whole time I was growing up there were houses being built, but for quite a while, there were still a couple farms and even a empty dirt lot us kids would go ride our bikes in and stuff. Now, all the farms and everything is gone, and it's now houses (my parents still live in the same house, so when I go visit them, i see how much it's changed). And that's just been in the last 30 years.

My family likes to try to get me to move back to Utah (Salt Lake area, specifically), and I'm like NO WAY!!!
I liked it while I was growing up there (I don't think I realized how big it was!). Now, it's too big of a city for me. Boise is, for that matter. But as far as Salt Lake, it too big, crowded, and the trafiic is too crazy--- I mean, I'll be driving down there at 7 pm at night (on the freeway), and it's worse than it is here at 5 pm. but then again, the traffic here keeps getting worse, too.
Of course, another reason we wouldn't want to live there is what we went through with Utah Medicaid. Plus, the last place we lived was a really bad area (downtown Ogden... I'm sure it's still a questionable area, although I've heard that they've fixed it up a bit). Let's just say, after what we went through living there. I'm VERY pick about where I live (I won't even consider a place if it looks dumpy)
If I could, I'd live in a small town close to the mountains. I've come to realize that I'm a small town kinda person. I like knowing who my neighbors are, and what's going on, and I never get those things in a large city. For example, I've lived in this same appt. for 4 years, and know only a handful of the others that live here. People just drive in, park their cars, and go hide in their appartment, so you never see them.
One good thing I could say about Salt Lake, though, is even though their public transportation system isn't the best, it's better than any I've seen or heard of here in Idaho.

Well, anywho, here's hoping we both have a good week!!

Becky

Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Becky-
I agree that it is way too crowded here, but it's home for us. I also grew up here and remember when you drove south there were distinct cities and NOTHING in between!! Now, just urban sprawl from Ogden to Springville. Kinda sad. AND clear up into the beautiful Wasatch, so high into the hills you can't believe you could build there! Well, we are 20 minutes away from Snowbird and drive frequently to the canyons where we know of hikes where we see literally NOBODY and that is refreshing.
And YES!! The whole dang road system is torn up from heck to breakfast...they are building the soccer stadium not far from our home and not a single road by our place is open. It's horrible. But, we've been here 28 years and not likely to leave as we have a wonderful neighborhhod and friends. Makes all the difference. (Yes, Ogden can be really sketchy in places...I am always uncomfortable drving there--what a snob I am!) Glad you like Boise...I honestly do not think I have ever been there...it's not on the way to anywhere I've needed to go!
Well--I hope things go well for your hubby. Is he able to work? You haven't said much--do you work? I am still a stay at home mom until our youngest decides to flee the nest permanently---she's Bipolar and a real challenge. My hubby travels a lot and I think I told you is recovering from a liver transplant last fall...is undergoing Interferon treatments (like chemotherapy) for the Hepatitis C that casued his liver to fail...he wants me home running the show as it's all he can do to work then come home and crash for 12 hours and then get up and do it again. We've got 44 more weeks of this. Been a rotten couple of years. But, what can you do?? Hang in there!! Right? Hope you have a good week--hope it cools off a bit--Utah's been baking hot!

Best to you,
Liz

Old 08-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Okay, this is weird. I know I wrote a reply to you last message, but apparently it didn't get posted (DAng Computers!!!).

Well, anywho, Tygh isn't working now. The job he had was just for the summer and ended the first part of August.

I'm not working either. To make a long story short, I don't work (as in, get paid for what I do), because I found it too hard to go out and be helping other people and be leaving Tygh's cares up to his aides-- especailly during the time that his aide didn't show up for three WEEKS. She would falsify his timesheets and forge his signature, and it took the Agency's office three weeks of TYgh calling them daily saying 'where's my aide, she's not here yet' before they figured this all out. And the whole time, I was out working for the same company, but helping other people. The whole reason I became an aide was in the hopes that I could get paid for helping TYgh, NOT to go out and help others and have my own husband lanuishing at home because he had an incompetent person for an aide. Unfortunately, currently in Idaho, Medicaid doesn't allow spouses to get paid for caring for their ill/ disabled spouse. (But yet it's okay to have a perfect stranger come into your house and do it). Believe me, I am working to get this CHANGED!!

Well, We went to the neurosurgeon today. Tygh has a herniated disc in his neck, and will be having surgery next week (but don't know yet what day, because we have to get approval for the surgery from Medicaid before they can schedule the surgery.) I'll let you know when it will be when we find out (in a couple of days).

Becky

Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Becky-
I can totally relate to that aide thing--we had care for my FIL during the last couple of months of his life, and they were so awful..he was unable to walk down stairs without help and they'd knock on the door and if he didn't answer within like 20 seconds they'd leave. He fell several times and they didn't find him, we did, later in the day. Even after I took over and he had passed they were still coming by and doing the knock & run thing--drove me INSANE. I worte the most scathing letter to them. Now I live in fear that someday I'll need their care...not really, but it was a supreme joke!!!
Yeah, caregiving is fulltime--my hubby does NOT want me to go back to work as long as he can keep working himself. (We cannot live on his disability pay!) He knows that i do so much around here that to pay someone to care for our home, yard & dog & pay bills & keep the ins co honest would cost us more than I could earn. But he is getting sicker & weaker with each passing week, and I don't see him being able to stay at work fulltime--we have 42 more weeks to go......
Well, I hope your hubby's little surgery goes well. It doesn't sound too bad...and should relieve the pain.
Well, I am off to mow that lawn, for some reason it just keeps on growing....
Liz

Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Sorry it took me soo long to reply. HAd lots going on around here (will talk more about that in a bit).

Yeah, I'd be mad if Aides only knocked for 20 secs and then left!! I used to give people 5 minutes, and then, I'd see if the door was unlocked. If it was unlocked, I'd let myself in (to check on them and make sure they were okay). If it wasn't, I'd call either them, or the Home Health agency and have them call that client. I was way too afraid that something had happened to just leave!!
Also, I helped one lady for over a year who was bed-bound-- counldn't get up hardly at all, let alone to answer the door (actually, I helped several people who couldn't answer the door). Luckily, I could hear her through the door (and, after a while, got to where I'd just knock and go in).
It drives me nuts when people who know us come knock on the door, and don't seem to think, "gee, Tygh's in a w/c, and Becky may be busy. Maybe we can knock and come in". It seems an obvious thing to me, so It drives me nuts that people don't seem to realize that! And, our door must be really thick, becuase we can both be right by it for people to come in, and they won't hear us. I would put a not e on the door that says "knock and come in", but we don't have visitors often enough to warrant it. (However, when DH gets home from surgery, I may do it, as we will have people comeing by more than usual).

My DH and I DO pretty much live on his Disability check. But we can do that only because we're also on housing and Food Stamps/ CAsh assistance (and my in-laws pay for our car insurance).
I feel like those programs are there to help people such as my family. Yes, I don't alsways like having to get the help, but it's what we need to do to survive. (and, even if I were working, we would still qualify for those programs, just wouldn't need as much help).

now, as far as DH's surgery-------
insurance can be DA&^%*%(N FRUSTRATING!! We were originally told by the Dr that we should basically hear back from Medicaid by today. Well, that didn't happen. DH spent the whole morning (I was helping some friends, or else I would have been there doing this with him!) calling the Dr's office or Medicaid. The Dr's office says 'your approval is still pending', so it's not approved yet! So DH calls Medicaid--- it took him clear until noon, when I got home, to finally get through to a live person. That persondidn't act like he knew what was going on or what he was doing. He kept telling DH that for them to be able to tell him anything, he needed to give them dates and the procedure codes. DH kept asking, 'what dates do you mean? the surgery dates? (or the dates he saw the Dr, or the date the request was submitted, or what?). DH had the surgery dates, and kept telling this guy that, and he never seemed to listen to him. The guy would never tell him, plus the guy was talking to DH like he was stupid or something.
Well, we finally figured they wanted the surgery dates and the proceedure codes. So, I called the Dr's office about 1 pm. and left a message for the nurse asking for them to call us back with those codes. Well, no call back. By that time, we were both frustrated and angry, and tired of being run around in circles and treated like trash. So, when DH's homehleath aide came about 3, we asked him to make the phone calls. He called the Dr's office, told the secretary what he needed,who connected him with the nurse, who was able to give him the info. She told him she'd call medicaid and find out what was going on, and then call us back (Remember, I had called HER at 1pm, and she hadn't bother to call us back by 3 when we called again!)So, then he calls MEdicaid, gets the very same guy DH talked to this morning, and the guy was nice to him. Still couldn't find anything out.
The nurse did call us back this time. She told us that there is a Medicaid Dr looking at his case-- he has ALL the info (The MRI, the Dr's notes).That means, no determination was made today. Which means, we have to wait the whole weekend until Monday to find out if or when DH is going to have the surgery. IT would have been really nice to have beena ble to have known that TODAY!!
By the time Monday comes, Medicaid will have had nearly 1 WEEK to look at the info... ONE week, during wich my DH has had to sit here in pain!!!
I know these Dr's are really busy, but how long can it really take to look at a MRI and some Dr's notes!?!?!

Its experiences like this that tell me that this country isn't as great as it could be--- I mean, it doesn't even seem to bother to take care of it's own people very well!!
Please, Lord, don't tell me the surgery (and recovery)will be as stressfull as this GARBAGE has been!! And I thought things like Medicaid were supposed to HELP people and RELIEVE some of their stress!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Becky--Amen to all you said!! My huby had a liver transplant last September....and took on the task of the insurance co. We STILL have claims pending....I called on almost every single claim that came thru. I went over them each with a fine tooth comb for double bills, over bill,s etc. I spent 3-4 hours every single day for months working to get this procedure paid for (and we still paid over $20K out of own pockets). Calling drs offices & asking tp have someone call you back--what a joke. If I ran a business as poorly as our ins co runs, I'd be bankrupt in 6 months! My poor hubby--he felt so sorry for me, yet it was work that HAD to be done.
I feel for you, I truly do. Trying to get someone, anyone to simply listen and DO THEIR JOBS is sometimes just impossible.
I have not yet had to deal with Medicaid, my mom is on it and she is able to handle all her own stuff, thank heavens. My MIL is going downhill, mentally, and I know we're going to have to do something about her in the nest couple of years---I hate the thought of dealing with the insurances, etc.
Well, I hope you can get this straightened out soon and get your hubby's surgery done & over. "Health-care"--it's kind of an oxymoron, isn't it??
Liz

Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
(female)

rhales199 HB User

FINALLY, WE GOT SOME NEWS!!!!!

MEdicaid approved the major part of his surgery (the herniated disc), they didn't approved a minor part of it (another disc that was showing wear), and...

He goes in for surgery TUESDAY Morning!!!!

THANK HEAVENS!!!!!

BEcky

Old 08-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Good news--I hope all goes well. You just have to hang in there!! I hope Tygh gets some relief.
Liz

Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #15
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Hi!! SOrry it's taken me so long to get back here and give an update!! Life has been kinda crazy here!

well, anywho, Tygh's surgery was last Tuesday (a week ago). it went really well.
The Dr was a %&*% and decided it was more improtant that he go do his next (supposedly an emergency) surgery than take 5 mins to come tell me & Tygh's family how his surgery went. So, we SAT in the waiting room for 2 HOURS after Tygh got out of surgery waiting for the @#%&% Dr!!
Tygh was actually out of recovery and in his ROOM before we ever saw the Dr!! (they had a electronic screen in the waiting room that updated every minute where each surgery patient for that day was).
I didn't want Tygh to be in his room all by himself, so I went up there while his family stayed to see the Dr.
My MIL had just had back surgery in June herself. During her surgery, the Dr had ended up taking out 5 discs, which they hadn't planned on doing.
So, when the Dr. FINALLY came and talked to them and told them that he had taken out the C6 disc (which was approved by medicaid), but not the C4 (which wasn't approved), and that Tygh may end up having to have that one taken out in 2-3 years, MIL CHewed him out! She chewed him out for not having taken out the other disc, which he very well could have done (and saved us a LOT of anguish and Medicaid a lot of MONEY in a few years!), and she chewed him out for being so discourteous to us by making us wait two hours!!!

Well, his recovery in the hospital went well. He was pretty out of it the first day, and was nauseus-- couldn't even keep Jello down, but by the next day he was doing a lot better, and sat in his wheelchair (w/c) for a few hours! I spent the first night there, then spent the 2nd at a friends house. They took excellent care of him in the hospital.

He came home Thursday. becuase We don't have a vehicle with a w/c lift, and it was too hard for him to get in/ out of any vehicle, the hospital arranged for a w/c transportation service to take him home.
Let's just say, their servce wasn't the best, but I'm not gonna talk about that at this moment.

Home Health/ Medicaid has been SOMETHING ELSE!!
Before he left the hospital, he called to see if an aide could help hime for a few hours that afternoon while I was gone to appointments which I couldn't really reschedule. They said they'd try to find someone. Well, no one ever showed up! Tygh ended up being home by himself more than 3 hours!
And then Tygh calls them, going 'what's going on?' How come noone has come to help me? and THEN they tell him, 'We've been on the phone with Medicaid and they just told us that becuase they paid for your surgery, they won't pay for you to have an aide for 24 hours after you got home'
[I don't get that one!! I used to do in- home care, and I used to help MANY MEDicaide clients who where just getting home from a surgery/ hospital!!!]. Thank Goodness his aide didn't care about that and came anywho Friday!!!
Oh, and then there's this one-- Tygh had done a request for more home health hours post- surgery the day BEFORE his surgery. It took HIM calling Medicaid (and calling repeatedly, may I add), before they finally got that approved-- TODAY!!!! (almost a full week AFTER he's been HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL!!!)

And then there's me. I'm doing good, under the circumstances--Friday night I started having PMS-- it was just a 'light', uncomfortable backache/ cramps until Sunday night, when Aunt Flo finally arrived. Had PMS monday as well. Finally started feeling 'human' again monday night. And wouldn't you know it--- Tuesday, I wake up with a cold!! Probably all because of the stress from last week. (oh, and, much as I wish i wasn't sick THIS week, I'm thankful that it was this week rather than LAST week that I got sick!!).
Let's just say, I've been taking it REAL easy lately! Thank heavens DH has been doing really well, and hasn't needed too much more help than normal!!

Last edited by rhales199; 09-05-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Closed Thread