It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
(female)

seeiay HB User
New to this Board: Any advice welcome

Hi,

I am 30 and my brother is 28. He lives with our parents who are his primary caregivers. My husband I live about 10 mins away from them.

This is the first time that I have tried to talk about this with anyone else other than my close family and friends. I'm really hoping to find something else that I can do to help ease the lives of my parents and my little brother.

He has undiagnosed emotional and developmental problems. He has seen numerous doctors, therapists, psychologists and whatever else over the years. He's been tested for many disorders and conditions, but there are no answers.

As the people who are around him 24-7, we know that there's something wrong. He hasn't been able to work for the past 4 years, which has him really depressed. He looks like a perfectly normal person on the outside, but has these odd behaviors.

He does this thing with wringing his hands really vigoursly.
He rubs the back of his head constantly.
He talks and mumbles to himself.
He says inappropriate things to strangers.
He has obsessive and impulsive issues.

He got in trouble 4 years ago because he scared a stranger at the store and he was arrested. We have to supervise him 24-7 in fear of what might happen. No one understands because no one seems to think that there is really something wrong.

He is on medications to try to control his impulses and obsessiveness which have made him gain a lot of weight. The weight gain has affected his self esteem even more.

I know my parents are tired and I wish so much that there was more that I could for them. My DH and I try to take my brother for a couple of days and nights a week so my parents can take a break. We take him out to eat and to the movies. I wish so much that there was more that I could do.

Thank you for reading. I've really been needing to get this out.

-C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
(female)

rhales199 HB User
Re: New to this Board: Any advice welcome

Hi!! I just wanted to welcome to this board. Feel free to vent here any time.
I really don't have any advice for you... I don't have much experience as far as mental health issues.
Some of the things you mentioned remind me of someone I knew who is Autistic, but I'm sure your brother has already been tested for that.

The only other thing I can think of that may help would be to find out if there are any respite care services in your area. Also, does he recieve any
Developmental Disability services? Such as, community access, shopping, Activities of daily living?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
(female)

seeiay HB User

Thank you so much for responding. My brother was involved with some community mental health programs, but they aren't equipped to deal with how highly functioning he is. My parents considered assisted living last year, but there aren't any homes around here that could assure the kind of supervision that he requires. We are not willing to risk the possibility of breaking his probation. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks again for caring enough to share your thoughts. I greatly greatly appreciate it.

-C

Old 08-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Has there been testing on metals in his system? Possible build up of these? It does sound a bit like OCD also, but who knows if some of the OCD cases aren't metal build up too. I know that the nutrient Chromium has helped get rid of some toxic metal build up. Might be something to look into. Wish I could help more. Sounds trying for everyone, including your brother.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
(female)

seeiay HB User

Thank you drs for your input and suggestions. OCD was explored, but experts seem to think ICD is closer to what he issues are. Can you tell me some of the symptoms of metal build up? Thanks-Christine

Old 08-19-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

All I can find on ICD is International Statistical Classification is this what you are talking about?

Metals and Autism is what I was thinking of in the first post I made to you. The Chromium I was talking about is Chromium Picolinate, the nutrient. Just wanted to clarify what I was saying. There are many ways to help 'eliminate metal toxicity'. You could look it up using the parenthesis words above.

There are several ways to test for heavy metal toxicity:

* Review of symptoms;
* Autonomic Response Testing (ART);
* Tissue Mineral Analysis (Hair Analysis);
* Blood Testing and Urine Provocation Testing.

What is ICD?

Last edited by drs; 08-19-2007 at 03:23 AM.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
(female)

seeiay HB User

ICD = Impulse Control Disorder

Thanks for the info.

-CIA

Closed Thread