It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

clarrysage HB User
Elderly Parent Hard of Hearing

Mom looked into hearing aides from an ad she saw in the newspaper. They
cost $3200 for both. New technology. They're micro size and fit behind
the ear with a" little clear tube leading down into the ear" but not touching.

But, there's got to be cheaper ones out there. Previously she had the kind
that fit inside the ear, but it whistled and annoyed her. How she's annoying me as she has the TV on too loud and always asks me to repeat myself.

I think $3200 is quite a bit to pay for two hearing aides. I'm sure her medicare would help with some of the expense. Anyone out there have
success with a particular type of acutally own the kind of hearing aide I
described?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Elderly Parent Hard of Hearing

Please do not purchase hearing aids from an ad. Best thing to do is see an ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor. They usually have an audiologist do the testing for hearing aids.

My husband had the in the ear kind with new technology but they did not work as well as they should. "new technology" means different things to different mfgrs. and salespeople. They are not on the same page. Some are ahead of the times and others are lagging behind but claim their hearing aids are new technology. May be new to them but is not necessarily the newest on the market.

He saw an ENT, tested by an audiologist and now have the type you are mentioning, with wire into the ear but not closed up. There are several on the market, but, you need an audiologist for proper testing.

We were told it depends on the hearing loss as to which type hearing aid would be best for him.

My husband now has the "Oticon" Delta hearing aids to the tune of $5,800 for two. It is the best money we have spent so far. He can hear better, I am not blasted out of the house.

Before getting the last hearing aids we bought Sony headphones ($200) for him to use watching TV.He could listen to TV as loud as he wanted but I did not hear it. With the new hearing aids he does not use the headphones now.

No, Medicare does not pay for hearing aids. Medicare does pay on the doctor and audiologist visits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread