It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

TheCrystalBall HB User
New to this and need help

My mother in law suffers from a rapidly progressing neurologial illness that has yet to be diagnosed. She was living with other family members for the past 2 years and has gone from 130lbs to 88lbs because nobody was giving her any food. she maybe got rice once a day, she would give someone 100 bucks to buy grocerys and they would bring back about 40 dollars worth. for a month. We went to visit and found her sitting in her own feces and everything was just awful. She cant walk, she is in a wheelchair, but no one ever helped her out of the bed so she stayed in the bed all the time. Also lots of her pain mideication would come up missing and I mean 80 oxycotin pills at a time. we refused to let this happen anymore, so as of last week she got herself on a plane and flew to stay with my husband and I until she is a little better and we are hoping the doctors at OHSU can help, she is getting in the program over there.We are giving her everything she ould want, shes already gaining weight back just eating 3 meals a day, she feels so much better. But here is the problem I am having right now... She is so used to people stealing her medication all the time that when she doesnt feel like she needs it, she has been hiding it, I found it today when I was cleaning up and I asked her about it. She said shes just so used to everyone taking it and she runs out so she saves some in case she needs them later. Well she has been suffering more than necessary now so she will "have them later" but I tried to tell her that she doesnt have to worry abot that here. Its not an issue, her medication will never come up missing. I understand her concern, but what can I do to be sure this doesnt keep happening, I have a 6 month old in the house also and what would have happened if she had crawled over there and found those pills? Im just concerned about her well being, has anyone been in this situation, how do you make sure she takes all her pills without making her feel like a child?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
(female)

georgie04 HB User
Re: New to this and need help

You've done a wonderful thing getting her away from what sounds like a truly awful situation.

I have no idea what sort of neurological condition you are looking at, but if it involves any kind of dementia/memory impairment then you do need to take the "adult" role - albeit with with the sensitivity that you are showing. For the sake of you child do not take any risks with this.

Could it be as simple as putting the pills in child-proof containers? That is really the only thing I can think of - if your MIL is capable of opening them and understanding the risk to your child. Or would she take them out and hide them?

Otherwise, I think you really need to act on the risk - maybe you can simply explain to her the risk of your child getting the pills and say you have a policy that all medications are locked up - reassure her that she can always have access (supervised by you whether she knows it or not) you might be able to come to a diplomatic way of dispensing them to her.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

TheCrystalBall HB User

I dispense all her medication, she cant open the bottles, but she is taking them, but holding her valium in her mouth and then hiding it. and telling me she took it. I dont want to have to tell her to let me check her mouth, but if it comes to that I will. She has no demensia or memory loss, she completely has her wits about her and is as stubborn as ever when she gets in a mood.We have had a tlk about it and she said she wouldnt o it again and I am welcome to check her things whenever I want to. but its hard because I want her to feel like she is an adult and has some kind of privacy. I dunno, maybe Im just venting.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Buy her a small safe and give her the key.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

georgie04 HB User

That's a good idea, or, could you give her the meds at mealtimes? If she is sitting at the table with you and you give her her pills just before you all start eating, that would make it impossible for her to hide them in her mouth and maintain a sense of dignity at the same time?

Closed Thread