It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
To All The Caregivers Out There

Greetings all:

For all the late nights and countless hours; thank you.

For all the days that you felt like giving up but didn't; thank you.

For all those that are staying strong so that the person you are caring for will hopefully be in better spirits; thank you.

For all putting up with negative attitudes; thank you.

For all the undergarments changed, baths and grooming; thank you.

For all the trips to the doctor's office and supermarket; thank you.

For all the letters, newspapers and magazines read; thank you

You efforts are not in vain; actually priceless.

My prayers are with all of you.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: To All The Caregivers Out There

Phoenix,

You are the only person who ever thanked me for the care I provided...(although my loved one knew and understood), my family never "got it".

It is comforting to know that others have been there and understand. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our best efforts.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 01-22-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello bethsheba,

You are welcome.

Unfortunately (more often than not) family members don't realize the extent of involvement that caregiving takes until they have to experience it for themselves.

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Yes, I agree. I didn't expect to be thanked for the sacrifices I've made...but I didn't expect to be criticized either. And I know now that some people will only understand if they themselves are in the places that we, as caregivers, have been.

Again, your kind words bring some comfort.

Best wishes.

Bethsheba

Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

SherryAnne HB User

I'd also like to thank you again Phoenix for recognizing the efforts of caregivers. It is a full-time job for me now and Mom just has no clue as to what is even going on any more. She does thank me a lot of times but then there are those times when she is no dealing so well with her death sentence of lung cancer and lashes out on ME, her only caregiver! Like bethsheba says, unless you've walked in our (caregiver) shoes, don't criticize us for what we are doing or the way we are doing it. Know one really understands until they've walked in our shoes.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

You're welcome SherryAnne,

For all you do, this thread's for you (all).

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
(female)

kim840 HB User

Thanks Phoenix!

I walked with my mother as she fought the fight against cancer and I appreciate the kind words. I was fortunate in that she truly appreciated my efforts. God is my constant companion and He was so gracious during all of it.

I'm curious the name Phoenix, are you from Phoenix or is it symbolic? I live in Glendale AZ myself.

Marcia

Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
(female)

Tippylulu HB User

Very nice...thank you. I don't take care of family, but am a paid caregiver. Sometimes it is a very thankless job, but I think I get through it by reminding myself of this one thing: If they didn't have issues, there would be no need. It does get very hard at times, but the little successes make it all worth while. My mother just turned 70 and she will never see the inside of a nursing home, even though I know she will be the hardest client I will ever have. Again Phoenix, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1 View Post
Greetings all:

For all the late nights and countless hours; thank you.

For all the days that you felt like giving up but didn't; thank you.

For all those that are staying strong so that the person you are caring for will hopefully be in better spirits; thank you.

For all putting up with negative attitudes; thank you.

For all the undergarments changed, baths and grooming; thank you.

For all the trips to the doctor's office and supermarket; thank you.

For all the letters, newspapers and magazines read; thank you

You efforts are not in vain; actually priceless.

My prayers are with all of you.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Hello Kim,

You are most welcome.

"The Man Upstairs" is always watching; believe me when I tell you.

I hope that you are familiar with the "Footprints" story.

Take care.

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 02-19-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:36 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippylulu View Post
Very nice...thank you. I don't take care of family, but am a paid caregiver. Sometimes it is a very thankless job, but I think I get through it by reminding myself of this one thing: If they didn't have issues, there would be no need. It does get very hard at times, but the little successes make it all worth while. My mother just turned 70 and she will never see the inside of a nursing home, even though I know she will be the hardest client I will ever have. Again Phoenix, thank you.
Hello Tippylulu,

You are welcome.

Once a person has been used to performing certain tasks all their life, a major adjustment period occurs. Depending upon that person's specific personality, the transition may leave some feeling helpless, useless and even worthless at times.

I applaud your efforts.

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Thank you. I sure don't get any thanks from my mother.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Hello T,

You are welcome.

I really felt that it needed to be said.

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 04-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
(female)

LovingMyLife HB User

Phoenix you are one incredible guy! I have read a lot of your posts on various forums and every post is so well said. You are a bright spot to this website! Thank you for your encouraging words to so many of us.

I too was a paid caregiver, but now I take care of my parents. My mother just found out that she may be battling stomach and colon cancer. We still have to go through with all the tests first before we will know for sure. My dad has suffered with sever PHN for the past 12 years and also has Parkinson's. I am only 43 years old, with my own health problems and my first grandbaby on the way, but I am remaining strong and making sure that I keep on top of my own problems so that I can be at my best for my parents.

I totally understand most of the frustrations that so many caregivers are going through. I have been taking care of my parents now for the past 4 years and I know I have a long road ahead of me.

I have 2 brothers and they constantly thank me for what I am doing for our parents. Plus my parents constantly thank my husband and I for what we do, so we do feel the appreciation from family, of which I am so thankful for.

My heart goes out to every caregiver. Now that I am walking in those same caregiver shoes, I know what it's like. Most importantly, we caregivers have GOT to take care of ourselves and take time out for US if we want to give the best care to our parents.

My best to all..........
LovingMyLife

Old 04-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Hello LMF,

Thank you for the kind words.

Truth be told, every one of us has something to contribute and it is the "collective conscious" that makes this and the other boards here so special.

As your mother's stomach and colon health concerns have not been confirmed for cancer, letting her know that you are there for her and will be no matter what, is all one can ask for (and you are already doing so,with respect to both your mother and father).

You are definitely doing the right thing with regards to taking time out for yourself, in order to take care of your own health concerns.

You seem to have a close-knit family, which is always an added plus.

I reiterate your sentiments, as my heart also goes out to every caregiver.

Take care.

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 04-26-2008 at 04:59 AM. Reason: punctuation

Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
(female)

oldncold HB User
Smile Re: To All The Caregivers Out There

I truly appreciate the post myself, husband has fourth stage larynx cancer
it has been a trial and tribulation for both of us I understand his situation even though I am not in it, having lost mother and brother to cancer, thanks again, and all caregivers, unite, as one nurse said after my husband told her i take care of everything, she said " and she will be blessed for it"

Closed Thread