It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

Rhoda55 HB User
End stage Parkinson's disease

My 87 yr. old Mom has end stage Parkinson disease. With the progression of her disease, she has now developed dementia also and quite often is disoriented sometimes not knowing where she is. One morning, I walked in to get her up and she had to ask who I was. What I cannot understand, is sometimes I will put her on the toilet and she doesn't even know if she has gone or not? She has disabiling Parkinson's disease, and has fallen, and thank God has never broken anything. She does things that she should not do like try and get up on her own,and then will fall.I am the sole caregiver for myMom, and I have help once a week to come in and relieve me. Mom also has a problem with choking on foods that have a drier consistency. She was eating a sandwich the other day and started to choke on a piece of lunch meat that got lodged in her esophagus.She had to go to the hospital to get it removed. What really bothers me, is the fact I just can't get her to eat
very much. She does not eat enough to sustain life. I have tried to get her to drink Ensure , and she doesn't care for it to much. She will some times drink a half of a small can,if I'm lucky. She will sit at the table sometimes for a couple of hours in her wheel chair at mealtime watching tv, and picking at her food. And I have to constantly be after her to take her medicine. She doesn't want to and then I have to get on her about it. It gets so old. I sometimes feel like I am going to cry; I am so frustrated and burned out. Her doctor and her own brother have told me that it is time that she goes to a nursing home. I am starting to agree with them, at least for her own safety. I have been helping and caregiving for my parents for the last 10 years;my Dad passed away in 2001. I hope what ever I feel I have to do,it is the right thing to do for all involved.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: End stage Parkinson's disease

Hello Rhoda,

There comes a time that you have to ask yourself "what will she benefit from most."

After that, ask yourself "what will be the best thing for me"(am I able to keep on caregiving in this manner, without it deeply effecting me physically or psychologically).

Once you have done these two things, ask yourself "what would be best for the both of us."

I am not saying that this is easy by any way, shape or form; especially when a parent or loved one is being cared for.

My prayers are with both of you.

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 02-13-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Closed Thread