It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Anyone care to share?

Hey there, update sister in Psychiatritic hospital and i feel thier being unfair. What are caregier rights,? Gaurdians rights? Or Petitioners rights? Or anyone have stories they would share with thier experiences with the health systems?
Love, Monkey

Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Anyone care to share?

Hey Monkey,

I know you've petitioned or are petitioning to bring your sister home with you and/or have legal guardianship, but where does that stand? And what about this facility do you feel is unfair? If you could elaborate, I'd be more than happy to share my opinion/advice.

I don't know the laws, from state to state, so I'm not sure I could help in that area. But I can give you some ideas about how you can be a good advocate for her if I know more about how your state does things. If you're not sure yourself, I would contact the county or state level of the health department and find out the details of the patient's or, as they say in my state now, consumer's bill of rights. They should be able to provide you with this info.

Please check into it and let me know, OK? Take care, cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

cmpgirl, you are godsend! I am told i at this point cannot get gaurdianship per the court order now that she is admitted after the petition. I have contacted many people for help and advice . CMH that is helping and involved said something about doing power of attorney and i'm not sure how to go about that. I am not sure if she will come into my home but ithier way i will definetly follow court demands and follow through with the treatment and work for her and with everyone involved. The thing here is that for 26 years my sister has been spoiled rotten. She has always been aggressive yes but never with me because the one time she did years ago i set her straight and she never did this again. The problem i have with the hospital is that everytime shes aggressive they shoot with a needle. Now i am not saying this is neccessarily a bad thing as we do not want her to harm others or herself but i don't feel this is how you deal with it. When they release are they going to hand me a needle with fluid to inject her when she hits me if this happens ect. Not sured if any of this will make sense but if she comes to my house she knows she cannot push me over and will have to do whats right. At home she knows for a few years now she has gotten away with it. Example: My son whom is eight trys to hit me ect. I take things he enjoys So i work with CMH for him ,Dr.s ect so i know i can help my sister.
Love, monkey

Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Monkey,

I know that it's hard to think of her being medicated when she gets aggressive, but like you said, they have to make sure she doesn't harm herself or anyone else. I doubt that you would need to do the same, if she were to come live with you, since you mentioned that she is good with you.

I would just continue to be as much on top of what is going on with her care as you can and make sure you are included in any family care plan meetings, or at least are kept informed if you can't attend. Please don't over-do it yourself. I know your pain issues and you need to take care of yourself too.

It sounds like the people at CMH are helping out quite nicely, so I think you have some good people in your corner. Take care of yourself and keep us posted, OK? cmpgirl

Old 08-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

update, sis is doing alot better.Were finding that she needs the shots mostly after a visit when she cannot leave. Therefore lately weve backed up some and it's working! The only thing i'm concerned now about is that she really needs a way to work on dissapointment. If she don't get her way. Example, my mom will act like she gets mad when i can't get something done for her and makes it out to be a diassapointment on my end, like if i say i am going to do something and something happens and i can't then my sister would go off in the past and present but she needs to understand that life is full of disapointments and they happen, although noones supposed to like them thats part of life! How can you overcome this? Especially if(not only me) is the one that is just so happens comes from (diapointment like actions not by choice)espcially when it's your mom makeing it like this? Another story different day! It's kind of like i keep telling my sis if theres something you don't have the energy to do or somewhere to go, just do it and you will feel better that you did than if you hadn't!
Monkey

Closed Thread