It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

losingtime HB User
Question tiredand scared

My husband has SCLC was dx about Oct. 10. He went through radiation 1 week the chemo and radiation 1 week. He then got so tired he could no longer take the treatment. They gave him some I V fluids. and sent him home for me to get him to eat. I have tried everything. He sleeps all the time and is just wasting away before my eyes. I wake him and he will eat maybe one or two bites and thats it. He will drink water and a little milk. What am I suppose to do? He is to the ponit where he gets mad at me because I always trying to get him to eat something.He says he just cant. I am just scared that he is dieing and the doctors just don't want to say it. I rather know. I don't want to yell or be forceful with him about eating if he is slipping away. I WANT HIM TO GO PEACEFULLY AND KNOWING i LOVE HIM. wHAT SHOULD i DO? i WAKE HIM ABOUT EVERY 2-3 HRS. DURING THE DAY AND TRY TO GET AT LEAST A BITE OR 2 DOWN HIM. tELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. tHANKS

Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
(female)

SherryAnne HB User
Re: tiredand scared

First of all, I am very sorry for your husband and you...it is an awful disease that is devastating to watch someone dye from. My Mom passed away a few months ago from SCLC and I was her caregiver as she lived with me and my family.

If I may suggest to you that if you don't have a hospice service yet I would highly recommend this as they are a very big help in so many different ways.

It came to a point in time when my Mom no longer wanted to eat nor drink anything. As the hospice nurses advised me, I did not force her to do either.
When the body is preparing to die, it no longer needs food or water as the body is slowly shutting down all systems. I would have thought there would have been dehydration, but there was not. My Mom actually lived about a month without eating or drinking..but everyone is different. I just let her sleep all the time. That is another way the body prepares itself and it is very critical that they are allowed that time to transition from this world to the next.

My prayers are with you and your husband. I really urge you to seek hospice now to help you and your husband.

Keep in touch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
(female)

losingtime HB User

Thank you for the reply. My husband was up and some better today maybe I just got really scared. I will check into Hospice. I just feel like when he knows i have called Hospice he will give up completely. He does seem to be trying more today than he has been. I will let you know how it goes from here. And again thank you and God Bless

Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
(female)

SherryAnne HB User

I am glad to hear that your husband is doing a little better. I can tell you from first hand experience.....it is an emotional roller coaster with all good days and bad days. Maybe if you explain to your husband that hospice provides services for people who have been on it for years he may be able to accept it better. But that is certainly up to both of you. My Mom got really tired of going to the hospital emergency room weekly and getting more infections when she was in the hospital.

For my Mom, with all the people I was communicating with online and in my personal life...those with the agressive treatment died long before my mom who only had 3 chemo treatments. (Just a little food for thought)

I will continue to pray for you and your husband and I hope you have many blessed days together.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
(female)

sherimm2 HB User

My heart and prayers go out to you. It is good that you have come to a support board. Just love him and you will find the strength to do what you need to do for him. Take care of you too, you need all your strength. Blessings~~

Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
(female)

santee245 HB User

Hi, I just finished 34 treatments of aggressive radiation for breakthrough out of the uterus and into 2 lymph nodes. It was very rough, after the first treatment when they told me I wouldn't need medication for nausea, I went home and threw up for hours till my sisters took me to the hospital and I got some medication. I was nauseated the whole 6 weeks. The burns were bad and where there was hair on my body it was gone. They want to do chemo on me and I told them absolutly not, it is a poison and if I want poisoned I can think of better ways.
About the not eating, After the treatment from the radiation began I started losing my appetite. Nothing tasted any good anymore. I lost a total of 22 lbs. , but I had it to lose. I would ask him what he wants to do. If he wants to go do the radiation he should. If not, it is his choice and you should let him gather his strength for what ever decision he makes. I don't know what my chances are right now, I haven't had follow up cat scan yet, so it is scary for me and everyone that has to face this. The fatigue is part of the radiation and chemo. I slept all the time to. I was so tired. I have no energy yet and I have been done with radiation for 2 weeks. I have a husband that helps me part time when he feels like it. Most of the time not. He gives me 2 pieces of toast in the morning and once in awhile took me to treatment because my daughter said he should stand up. I think he feels if I am tough that I will be well by next week. Love him and tell him over and over that you always will and he will appreciate that more and more. I asked my husband if he wanted me to fight and he said well, I don't want to lose you. Ha ha, who would answer the phone and get everything else done for him. You are doing the right thing by trying to get him to eat a little every so often. Keep doing that. I also got dehydated and I still am, no matter how much I drink. I hope I have helped you a little. God Bless you and your husband. santee245

Closed Thread