It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
(male)

gopherash HB User
need advice on getting my mum some treatment

Hey there im a first time visitor to these boards as i really just need a bit of feedback on how to handle things at this moment in time. Im a 24 year old guy and i live with my mother and my 15 year old sister. My father passed away a few years ago which is why i still live here as I always felt as though my mother was a bit fragile on her own.

In the past she's suffered two mentally related episodes that she's been hospitalised for. I don't know what it was specifically but enough that she was in a clinic for a short while. The last one was about 8 years ago possibly longer.

since then she's been fine, more than fine, but i believe she's been on tablets both to help her sleep and also to do with her mental stability. Lately in the past week she's been strange. It started last week i came home and went to bed, she came into my room and just constantly repeated the phrase im leaving im leaving. I followed her back to her room and spoke with her to calm her down, didnt get much sense out of her she said she just wanted to go away for a while that everything was wrong.

Then a few days later after being seemingly fine again she came home at 8am (she leaves for work at 6am) saying she'd had a panic attack after seeing a man and a dog under a bridge and being scared. She had been sat outside in the cold (if you live in the uk you know how cold its been lately) until i saw her come in. Again, a few days without incident then on sunday she went off for a walk and came back and said she wanted to know why she was being punished. She was crying occasionally and pinching her skin on her hands saying whats wrong why cant i feel it, and got angry at me when i refused to pinch her skin for her.

Then the latest episode was today, i had to go for a walk with her to calm her down she was crying again saying she was remembering my father sat in our living room. Started crying about how there is only one person she wants to be with, and this person is actually a semi famous pop star from the 70's whose name i wont mention hehe, its just weird. But she's always liked him.

Basically, very large mood swings. She mentioned how she punched a bin when i wasnt there, repeatedly, and didnt feel anything. I've spoken to a doctor and i'm trying to come up with a way to get her to see her as she wont go if she knows what its about. I'm going to tell her the doctor called and said they did her checkup wrong and they just want to see her again quickly. Everytime she gets in one of these "episodes" i just have to talk with her and attend to her and reassure her constantly and I need to know the right things to say, she's been okay when ive spoken at length with her but any hints on how to help calm smoeone like this down would be appreciated until i can get her some help.

Sorry for the huge epic first post. I'll obviously keep anyone interested updated and once i'm through this i'll provide support to anyone else going through it as i'm a believer in karma thank you to anyone reading

ash

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
(male)

gopherash HB User
Re: need advice on getting my mum some treatment

not sure if anyone is reading this or not but i just thought id post an update. been keeping a diary of my mums recent activities to show the doctor, she is going to the nhs primary mental health team in a couple weeks, wish it was sooner! currently on mirtazapine one tablet a night. spoke to doctor after a really violent outburst xmas eve morning, he said we may up the dosage when she is given a repeat prescription if necessary but this means another appointment ill have to get her to. may just see if she can cope until her one with the properly qualified people at pathways mental health. anyway, an update so far. not sure if this is the right board still but any comments would be appreciated.

monday 23rd

work, was aggressive randomly, started crying and laughing.

then at home got a bit emotional and started crying later that evening outside. wouldnt come in the house. said at one point had too many voices in her head. bright lights annoying her. talking about things my sister had said, thinking she'd been a bad mum.

wednesday morning woke up went back to bed then got up around ten and started shouting and going really mad at me,kicked things over, saying why am i in this nightmare getting extremely irate the angriest i have ever seen her, talkinga bout the past, saying there were voices. kept talking about her mum saying she wanted her. got really really angry. then crying, didnt want me near her, she stood outside for an hour and calmed down. was fine after that

saturday, she needed to get away from the house again and couldnt sit watching anything. constantly wandering didnt know what to do with herself. gets very frustrated when she has to make a decision, she was on the phone to make a hair appointment and couldnt even hold normal conversation to respond to questions about simple things like what she wanted doing. that evening we went for a short walk, she would stop occasionally for no reason and wouldnt carry on. we went home and she seemed to perk up, when i got home later that evening she was absolutely fine.

fine until monday evening when she said she needed space a bit, not in her usual way. she kept laughing also at one point about nothing, a frequent occurance. then went to bed and couldnt sleep, was getting angry at it. kept saying she was hearing things. then saying strange things about the sky saying its not even, referring to it being light at one part and dark at the other. tried explaining it was the sun setting at one part of the sky but said dont try and confuse me. woke up constantly during the night, was wandering the garden occasionally to get out of the house. said she hated the house, a common theme. she keeps referring to it. wasnt as bad as wednesday morning but ive left her alone as she needs rest. not sure if she has taken her pill she is on mirtazapine. she had eight left the other day im sure of it and now has eight still left so im dubious, says she has taken it and was angry at suggestion she hadnt.

Last edited by gopherash; 12-30-2008 at 04:09 AM.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

cardani HB User

Wow 24 is young to have this responsibility. You sound like you have things under control. But if you feel like she is in danger to herself or anyone else, you can call the police or ambulance, it might be traumatic for her at the time but it might help get her seen by a psychiatrist sooner and keep her safe in the long run. You could also call local hospitals to see if they have any sort of mental health professionals that can be seen in emergencies, if you can convince her to go that might be less traumatic and they might be able to bring her into hospital. I am not sure how the health system works in the UK, good idea talking to your doctor. Believe me being in hospital for a while isn't that horrible if she gets the help she needs! Hearing voices can be serious and take a while to recover from. Make sure you listen and notice if she tells you anything like the voices are tell her to do anything, whether she can ignore them, if she has any control over them. It is too bad she can't seem to relax at home.

I was on mirtazapine about 5 years ago I am pretty sure its an antidepressant? She might need some sort of mood stabilzer and/or antipsychotic especially to help her sleep and recover. There are some good ones that work quite quickly to stop the voices, calm a person down and help them sleep, such as zyprexa. Hopefully she will be safe until her appointment. Good idea with the journal, it could be very beneficial to whoever she sees, make sure that they know about everything that is going on. Good luck and my thoughts are with you and your family.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I second cardani's advice. I just wanted to mention that I also suffer from auditory hallucinations whenever I'm manic (I have atypical bipolar I with rapid cycling) or am off of my meds and Risperdal does a very good job of keeping them at bay. It also helps tone down my anger. Good luck. I hope you can get your mother the help she needs.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 12-30-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Closed Thread