It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

joan34 HB User
Infected bedsore and feeding tube

Hello everyone

Me and my mom are caregivers to my grandmother who is bedridden.She had a long stay in a hospital and got a mrsa infection in a bedsore and feedtube site.Her doctor said there is no reason to put her on antibiotics becouse it is just on the skin.But she has alot of discharge around her feeding tube incision.She has a heavy growth of mrsa in a bedsore too.I don't know if he is right.Has anyone here taking care of someone with a bedsore that was infected and not put on antibiotics?

Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
(female)

Missused1983 HB User
Re: Infected bedsore and feeding tube

I've never heard of topical antibiotics for MRSA in bedsorees, but who knows there's always new stuff. In my experience bedsores are relieved by relieving weight from the area. Surgical debridement, IV antibiotics (PIC line usually) and O2 chambers. MRSA is just a glorified (and mean) staph infection.... staph naturally grows as a flora on human skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

Trang123 HB User

I was given a good tip for bed sores while I cared for my son, and it worked. lay the patient on sheep skin, my son never got a bed sore in all his bedridden 6 years of life, except on his ears a little. The other thing is, if there is a bed sore, gently massage to get blood circulation going there, at the site, and ask Dr for anti biotic tablets. You then take one table, crush it and mix it with sterile water into a paste and apply that directly to the bed sore, it works like a charm. Before closing I also used to slightly blow up a balloon or use those blow up cushions you get on airline long trips, for your head rest and place that under the pressure site, but be sure to move her every hour, just to relieve any further pressure.

Hope this helps

Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
(female)

EWilshere HB User

New feeding tubes always have drainage. Clean witha sterile Q tip and sterile water. Keep site clean and dry as possible. The bed sore ask the MD if he can have VNA come in and assess it. Always repostion patient every two hours or get an air mattress.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
(female)

KristaK HB User

Make sure that you also turn her over.
Just to keep her blood flowing, you don't want her to get blood clots.

Closed Thread