It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
(male)

dbrown7575 HB User
Caregiver Products?

I just became a caregiver last week when my grandmother who's suffering from alzheimer's came home from the hospital after breaking her hip. With her rather limited mobility it is becoming extremely trying on me to bath her. The other day a friend of mine gave me a package of bathing cloths called Comfort Bath that allows me to bath her without water. Just wondering whether anyone else has tried the product, and whether it is worth purchasing again.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
(female)

Missused1983 HB User
Re: Caregiver Products?

I know a lady who is 90, blind and probably in middle stage Alzheimers, actually has these from her last trip to the hospital. She likes them so much for her "in between beauty shop visits" that she actually had her daughter purchase some. I personally haven't used them but have first hand experience with a patient who adores them.
Depending on your grandmothers prognosis, she may be eligible for Hospice. No. I'm not saying your beloved is going to croak soon, BUT hospice can help provide, cover costs for DME's (durable medical equipment) that could make your life and your grandma's life easier. A shower chair to help aid in energy preservation during a real shower. Or a riser seat for a commode helps out leaps and bounds.

Also, if she doesn't have issues with incontinence needing briefs, if you don't have one, a special seat for ease of bathroom breaks in bed, is also available, it helps so her hips don't flex as much.

Word to the wise though, if she is given the go for upright bi-pedal movement make sure she does it, or she could end up with pneumonia quickly, resulting in more Hospital time

Last edited by Missused1983; 03-20-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
(female)

Flowergal1951 HB User
Re: Caregiver Products?

For my mom, who is bedridden after strokes, we use a no-rinse soap in a pan of warm water. Use a washcloth, then dry. It works well. We also use a no-rinse shampoo. Work into hair and dry as usual.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-23-2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread