It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
(female)

Trang123 HB User
Caregiver or hired maid?

Hi,

I recently started with a health company as a care giver. I thought I would be giving care to ill patients. My experience in past is with tube feeds, stroke victims, severe dementia, severe contracture, skoliosis, bed sores, Dysphagia ( swallowing problems) Seizures, etc...ets...

Well, I started and for past 2 weeks have been doing nothing but scrubbing floors, cleaning toilets and showers, cooking, ironing and accepting verbal abuse. Is this care giving?????? or has the job description changed and no one told me haha
Oh! and minimum wage with no travel expense or time for travel...am I expecting too much?

I'd like to hear about others experiences as a care giver

Old 05-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
(female)

KristaK HB User
Re: Caregiver or hired maid?

Wow...
You sound more like a maid then a caregiver.
I mean I would understand if you were cleaning utensils that they actually used for their illness. But yea... I would talk to your boss or whatever about this.
It don't sound right to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
(female)

Trang123 HB User

Dear Krista,

Thank you for your response. Yes I thought that this was not your usual caregiver position. I have since started studying care giving going through modules of all aspects of caregiving and this is what I wanted, not cleaning toilets and scrubbing kitchen floors.

Thanks again for your input :-)

Old 05-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

KristaK HB User

Your welcome.
Hope all turns out well.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

My family used "caregivers" for many years with my parents. Each case has a different definition of "care." For my family, we mostly needed someone to just be in the home with my parents in case something happened, and it did include laundry, cleaning, cooking, driving to appointments, etc. It also included dispensing medication and baths. We used agencies as well as hired privately. The agencies would often send RNs. This was a huge expense for us, and most of the RNs did little more than watch TV and feed my parents bologna sandwiches. Our most precious and helpful caregivers over the years were 3 ladies who were 65-70 years old. All 3 had cared for their parents and husbands before their deaths, and were just naturally intuitive about what each of my parents needs were.

Definitely discuss what you are and aren't willing to do with your employer. Your skills may be better suitable for an institution rather than a private home.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
(female)

akazie HB User

I am a carer (I work for AHCS) and I do home duties, I told my employer that I wanted to try my hand at everything. I don't mind doing the home duties because it helps my clients. If I was you I would ask my employer if you could just do Personal Care because you don't like doing Home Duties.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
(female)

cherie57 HB User

I have been with the company I am with about 2 years. I do just about everything.
Homehealth care includes alot of things....esp when the family can't be there all day-that's where I step in. I have clients that I help them prep for the day-bathe-prep B/L/D-laundry-meds...
Have you talked with your comapny? This may be all they have for you to do at this time.
As far as the traveling-if you don't get paid for thr mileage-keep track of it-claim in your taxes-along with anything you buy for your job-clothes etc.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trang123 View Post
Hi,

I recently started with a health company as a care giver. I thought I would be giving care to ill patients. My experience in past is with tube feeds, stroke victims, severe dementia, severe contracture, skoliosis, bed sores, Dysphagia ( swallowing problems) Seizures, etc...ets...

Well, I started and for past 2 weeks have been doing nothing but scrubbing floors, cleaning toilets and showers, cooking, ironing and accepting verbal abuse. Is this care giving?????? or has the job description changed and no one told me haha
Oh! and minimum wage with no travel expense or time for travel...am I expecting too much?

I'd like to hear about others experiences as a care giver

I have caregivers in my home and dang they don't do that....LOL..The only thing I expect of them is to rinse the baby bottle when feeding is over(my child is 18 yrs old but like a 12-18 month old)...changing his bedding and his direct care....But, they do have to wash his bed walls(he has a Craig bed, 4 ft high padded walls all around), he has a tendency to shake his baby bottle and his food goes flying...but the care is suppose to be directed only to the person your caring for.....Maybe instead of working in a home for the elderly maybe try the private homes for the children, its a lot less abuse and not so much as your taking care of the home it is taking care of the client itself....It sounds like you enjoy caring and helping others, but I agree the job description should not include the house cleaning and you should get paid mileage for any trips relating to your clients..

Closed Thread