It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
(male)

sdjeff HB User
Help me keep my temper

Hello, I'm new here.

Before I begin, My grandmother is nearly deaf, refuses to wear a hearing aid, she has really bad dementia from a sroke and generally she is not very nice.

I have my own issues. I have arthritic knees, a pain disorder that keeps me mostly couch bound, ptsd, panic, and scizoaffective disorder. Plus my meds make me exhausted.

Just for fun we'll toss in two dogs with special needs.

I'm just having a heck of a time taking care of her. My parents, who usually watch her are on vacation. The lady who cleans her pops in once a day but it's not enough.

I'm freaking out here.

Thoughts?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
(female)

lisamccau HB User
Re: Help me keep my temper

Could you call some volunteer groups to come and give you reprieve from time spent with your grandmother? Or if she does not have any issues getting around perhaps someone could take your grandmother out of the house for a little bit. You may contact Hospice first to see if they have any suggestions for groups who can help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I commend you for stepping up to the plate and taking care of your grandmother in order for your mom/dad to have a much needed break.

Try to remember when your grandmother was in better health, a sweet, loving, caring person you enjoyed visiting. Many times strokes will cause brain damage and the person will no longer be the way they were before. It is not their fault their brain messes up with their personality, etc.

If you can overlook many things, then there will be no need for temper. We should not get angry with anyone who no longer has self control.

I personally know how hard it is to care for a person after heart attacks and strokes, it is not easy.

Remaining pleasant and doing the best you can will make life more pleasant for you and your grandmother.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
(male)

sdjeff HB User

thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately my parents are big on strangers being in the house.

They come back today so everything is cool.

Closed Thread