It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

rayeraye42240 HB User
Any Advice to me on Schizophrenia

Hello all My husband was just today diagnosed with schizophrenia and Im really scared b/c I dont understand alot about it and what all I can do for him. They have prescribed him meds which he started this afternoon. I never knew some of things going on with him b/c he was afraid to tell me and it finally got to the point he could not take it anymore and decided to go and get some help. Now I need some advice b/c I dont know what to do and some of things hes been telling me that has been going on with him are kinda scary

Thanks
Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
(female)

attack123 HB User
Re: Any Advice to me on Schizophrenia

You must be so concerned. My son was diagnosed with the disorder at age eight. His symptoms occurred three days after a violent head injury which his brothers kept a secret from me for ten years for fear of getting into trouble, thus doing more and more damage to his brain. Has your husband at any time in his life hit his head? It is vital to know the answer as although it may look like Schizophrenia, the treatment can be very different. Psychiatrists often overlook this and can be very difficult to deal with once they make a diagnosis. You might ask his family if he has ever had a head injury as he may not remember, particularly if he had been unconscious.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-10-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

mama of one HB User

Hey. I've just joined this forum. I have a 20 year old daughter that has Catatonic Schizophrenia as well as Mental Retardation. I wish I had a magic answer for all of us dealing with family, children, with this illness , but I don't. I can say that for me, I am fortunate to have a good team of doctors and medication nurses that help me along. There are days, like today, that I feel so alone in all this. I'm divorced, for many years, and have no living parents. I long for a 'helpmate', husband, but you'd have to be a really 'unquie' person to live in my world! When I try to 'vent' to my only sibling, a sister, she just puts more stress on me by saying that she's worried about me, I'm headed for severe depression, and need counceling.....well..'duh'...me depressed, why I don't see why!! lol...anyway, that just puts more stress on me, the fact that I've now caused her to worry and be all overly concerned about me as well as my daughter....so I choose not to talk to her anymore. Having said that,..it brings me to the reason I have now sought out a caregiver forum to vent my frustrations to. My daughter is my life, but days like today when the 'voices' are talking and she's highly aggitated to the point of screaming...I too feel like screaming...but don't. I HAVE to keep it together, some how, everyday, for her. She has a service dog, which is her very best friend and love of her life. He's a great comfort to her, but ,yes, another 'child' to look after and care for. Good thing he's almost human! ,or thinks he is anyway. Humor...gotta have it,without it, I'd probably cry all the time. Like today, I had to give my girl her 'emergency calm down pill' and on the way home she started to get a bit loopy...saying Look...I'm like and alligator, do this mama...and was making a wide alligator mouth with her hands..i just laughed, and at the next stop light...became an alligator right along with her. Later, when I was in the back of the house, she wandered out our long drive, to the mailbox, with only a t shirt and panties on....oh what the neighbors must think...again, I laugh...because frankly , i don't care what anyone thinks. I don't accept help very graciously, I know I should, but just don't let people into our world, our life, very often. I am slowly feeling the mental exhaution lately though. I have decided to arange for some respite care through CAP, just once in a while...although I don't know what I'll do!...I'm becoming a recluse, even I see that..so time to branch out and go.....well......somewhere!...maybe grab a burger and coffee ...anyway, sorry for the very long, first time post....but I DO feel much better, just putting it all down in type! To everyone that's caring for someone else..no matter what the circumstance.....take care of yourselves, arrange for respite, if even for an hour here and there,,,,because we have to take care of ourselves , in order to take care of the ones we love......it's taken me nearly 21 years to realize that,...and I always give better advice that i take!
Take care, thanks for reading and my God bless each of you!

Last edited by mama of one; 05-25-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
(female)

gma2 HB User

Hi I just read your story and no I'm not going to say I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU! I want to thank you for having the courage to get on line here and let people like me know how you are coping with everyday life. I am sorry that you were dealt the cards you have to deal with here in this lifetime, but its people like you that matter to people like your daughter. I work in the mental health field and also am dealing with issues myself. #1 daughter is dating paranoid schizophrenia,#2 I am worried that maybe I have some issues to-Like EVERYDAY in my HEAD I hear these voices,yes they r my own but it is always other people, kids,mom, spouse that r watching my every move or telling do this or don't do that. It in away makes me do ALL the right things most of the time and it makes me work all these crazy long hrs. because its like I'm trying to get approval that I am a good and hard working person. But in reality I'm driving myself crazy and I can't tell anyone this because remember in my head I 'm trying to be this PERFECT person. When I go to the store its all about timing to me because its like my boyfriend is there with me but only in my head and to me he is saying come on you should be done by now or don't talk to that person or you should be home by now. For along time I couldn't even go out in public because everyone would know my every move so just stay home. I do go to work and I work alot of hours due to the fact thats the only place I do go. I work in an all men facility for mentally ill and drug and alcolholics and they r the best friends I have. I am exceptionally good with the men and very good at my job but in my head there is always someone there watching my every step and to see how good I am doing!!!!!!! I know this don't help you with your situation, but like you, God it feels great to be able to just talk to someone without being judged. I thank you for listening and to whoever might be reading this and I would love to hear back from you or anyone and let me know what you all think! Thank you.

Closed Thread