It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

everplum HB User
no privacy in assisted living

My dad is in an assisted living facility. A female resident wanders into his room at all hours, and into other men's rooms also. Sometimes she take off her clothes.

I'm thinking of talking to a lawyer, but what if it's like that at all of these places?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: no privacy in assisted living

What does the facility have to say about this? I think you should start with them. They have ways to control this ort of activity.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

everplum HB User

They said they would start keeping his door closed. Hopefully that will help.

I was bothered by the attitude of the manager who seemed to believe that my dad and the other man who complained were making the whole thing up. I've never known my dad to be a liar, and neither he nor the other man are all that spaced out that they would imagine this.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

Keep a journal. Document everything. If you have a meeting with someone, write a brief one page letter as a followup, summarizing your conversation. The same thing with telephone calls. Start with the facility and work your way up the chain of command. Eventually talk with the people at whatever state agency is responsible for regulating and inspecting nursing homes. It might be worth buying an hour of time with a lawyer, but I doubt you have a lawsuit and certainly not one on contingency. There has to be money damages. Would you spend fifteen or thirty thousand dollars on principle? Just take it step by step through the system. Be dogmatic and be persistent. Don't let people brush you off. It is very common but that doesn't mean it's acceptable.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
(female)

everplum HB User

Thank you for the good advice.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by everplum View Post

I'm thinking of talking to a lawyer, but what if it's like that at all of these places?
My Mom is in an assisted living facility and she can lock her apt. door. The help has master keys that work in all doors but the other resident's keys only open theirs. So no, not all are like the one your Dad is in.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
(female)

joanniesolomon HB User

you have to talk to administrator of that facility, maybe they do not know what that woman doing. Inform them before you call your lawyer.

Closed Thread