It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

wvsister HB User
Services available?

I am one of 5 sisters whose little brother has ALS. His diagnosis was 1 1/2 yrs ago. Since Christmas, he has not had a place to live and has been living on couches of family. We need a place for him to stay and none of our houses are suitable for his needs. He has been falling frequently and getting injured.

We also need counseling for the stresses.

He has struggled with drug addiction previously and is revisiting that now that he is on daily pain meds. He currently takes two doses of morphine in pill form. Not feeling that pain, does anyone know if morphine at this point is reasonable? He often wants an extra dose when he falls and may be trying to score more pills illegally.

We feel so helpless--not just with watching him get worse and worse, but also just not knowing what he needs and where to get it. A home is our first order of business since he has not had a place to call home in almost 3 months now.

Any advice you can give is welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Re: Services available?

Hi wvsister,

Where do you live? (what country) This will help the right people give you advice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Services available?

Since your brother has a dx of ALS, he is eligible for Hospice services in the US. Many hospice services offer inpatient hospice care- which would include a place to live along with the nursing/ phramaceuticals and counseling which the family is in need of.
Not knowing where you live, I cant suggest anything further, but if you care to share the city/state in which you are near, I can probably help further.
Nikki

Closed Thread