It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

rosiorod25 HB User
do caregivers get benefits?

if take care of my disabled husband he has cancer and i also have a little one to take care of do i get any benefits or payed?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: do caregivers get benefits?

What type of benefits are you talking about? For taking care of your husband? No, that is part of the "in sickness and health" of marriage. Taking care of a little one is also something that you decided to undertake. I mean that no one forced you to have the child, correct? It's not a foster child or a ward of the state? Someone isn't paing you to watch/keep the child..Then you don't get any benefits for child rearing...but it sounds ogod. Some countries pay the mother to be home for a year after the baby is born.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

Shutter HB User

I agree with the poster above...if you are in the US....then the only way to get paid to be a caregiver for a child or adult...is to take care of someone elses child or someone elses dependant adult...who would themselves pay you.

You generally don't get paid for taking care of your own family...unless you have a really non-typical relationship with your husband...and he is independantly wealthy, and agrees to pay you for services. I wouldn't think happens often.

As far as benefits...if you are talking about health insurance. Even if he is seen as "permanatly and totally disabled" by the Social Security Admin..then only he would get health insurance from Social Security, not you. Even then he would have to wait so many years after being declared as SSA Disababled.

You may have some luck for you or your child, depending which state you are in. A lot of help for health or dental insurance or other things like extra food for kids under school age...or money for lunch for kids of school age....is dependant unpon your total family income. If your hubby gets Social Security Disability payments then they usually include that as part as your income when figuring if you qualify for low income benefits.

I would start by calling your State dept of human services or looking them up on the internet, to see what programs you may be eligible to apply for.

For a few years, when I was off work due to an injury...we were able to get help with getting my kids health insurance and it went from being a couple hundered a month for them through my husbands work, to $20 a month for both of them. If we would have made less money at the time then the insurance would have been free.

Really there are so many programs out there...I know my friend got help for rent, when she had young kids, and I think money for food as well. So while you won't find an agency to pay you a salary for taking care of your own family...you may get help for other expenses until you get your feet back on the ground. You just have to check and see.

Shutter

Old 08-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
(female)

melliann HB User

I'm going to give you a totally opposite answer. My son have very complex and complicated special needs, gets SSI the whole thing, state and federal have declared him severely mentally retarded with lots of medical needs. Anyways we live in Minnesota so I don't know if this applies to all states (but from what I have been told the funds are primarly funded through the federal government with the state kicking in a little bit) he is on a waiver and has been since he was 2 (he is 11) before with the waiver it paid for PCA services which was perfect at the time because he was the only child. After my son turned 6 and was going into 1st grade so he would be in school all the time my husband and I thought about having another child (his 1st, he is daddy to my son since his sperm donor well that is all he is left us after he found out Ryan had down syndrome) anyways I got pregnant and since my son has Down syndrome I was labeled high risk even though I was 26 at the time, so with that I got to do an early ultrasound to check measurements of vital organs and neck linings when I was 10 weeks along, well at that point I found out what a really high risk pregnancy was I was carrying identical twins. After I had the girls I did go back to work for a year then we decided that all I was doing was paying for daycare so I decided to stay at home. A couple of years later I found out about a program called consumer support grant, oh that was heaven sent, because to help make ends meet because SSI for a disabled child just doesn't cut it, I was working at Wal-Mart and I hated the hours and I was thinking about going back to school. Anyways I went through the training and found out I could do parental/spousal pay I was ready to jump up and down at that point. My social worker had to come out to do an evaluation to see much help my son really needs, he is 11 years old and functions at about a 3 year old level, so I have to do the meal prep, the cutting up of food, the dressing, bathing, changing of pullups or doing catheters on him and then there is the medication management and all of the doctors appointments. I get the full amount that the state says I can have. I have a catch 22 though I have to watch how much I make an hour because if me and my husband go over a certain amount of money we lose health insurance (he is a self-employed construction worker and let me tell you business is really slow). Have the Consumer supported grant has helped out so much, along with the medical assistance, I don't know what I would do without it to be honest I think I might have had to put Ryan into a home without it and then that would have cost the state even more money.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
(female)

coggles HB User

Wow, I think you'd better all come live in Aussie with me! I look after my Mum (87 and in a wheelchair) and I get a full pension, $350 per week, plus she gets a full aged pension (the same amount), plus I get a $55 weekly allowance to cover medical expenses and respite. And we still complain here, lol. I've been her sole carer for 20 years and have received it for the entire time because I can't work due to my caring duties.
We have elections tomorrow, and the party I'll be voting for is the Carer's Alliance - a legitimate political party set up to ensure that the needs of carers are met, being as 1 in 5 Aussies are full time carers for their disabled parents, children, or close loved one.
I can't imagine how people survive if they can't work due to their caring role, but don't get paid to do it!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
(female)

Gerty HB User

Yes down under you do. You have to fill in papers and so do Drs of the one your caring for but yes I don't think its a lot of money but gee we complain down under about things like health but I know from what Ive read really we are lucky as we don't have to have health insurance just to see a dr ive seen on another site I go to where people can't see certain drs because there health insurance wont cover it so really we are in the lucky country

Closed Thread