It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

flybye33 HB User
my grandma

my grandma had a stroke Dec. of last year. She has been in and out of rehab and the hospistal a few times. currently she is at home with community hospice. She has been home for 9 weeks now. Im her grandson and ive moved my family in to be her primary caregiver. she is totally bed ridden and cant do anything for her self, I do it for her. I cook,clean,wash clothes, feed, and change her. I have been layed off from my job so its easy for me to be here. my question is, Is it legal to pay myself with her money for the care im gining her? I am her p.o.a as well

Old 04-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Re: my grandma

Are you her POA for healthcare? That would mean that you are in charge of any medical decisions that need to be made for your grandmother, but not necessarily in charge of her finances.

You should contact your local area on aging office and speak with a social worker who can assist you. You don't want to get in trouble down the line.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Does your grandma have other children and grandchildren?

If so, talk to all of them and find out what they want to do about your grandmother's care. They may be willing to pay you for her care instead of doing anything themselves.

Is your grandmother financially well off enough to pay for hired help and not deplete funds she will need for rest of her life?

Did you discuss moving in with your grandmother with other children and grandchildren before you moved in? Was it with their blessings?

If you just moved in because you were out of work and had no place to go without discussing it with others, that might not have been wise.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
(male)

flybye33 HB User

Thank you for your reply. The POA that my grandma left put me in charge of her health, finances and the power to conduct buisness is if she would. She also put me on her checking account a few years back. I have only used it for her medical bills and her normal bills. And i did conferm it will her and all my family members before i moved in. And i did have a job at the time. my wife were living in a beautiful four bed room home. My grandma never wanted to leave her home and i always promised she wouldn't have to.
im currently looking for work. Im NOT using any of her finances for my personal wellfare. My wife is supporting us till i get back to the working community. All of my grandmas children are ok with my wife and i being here. I will NOT take anything form my grandmother. She raised me and im returning the favor by helping her. I just wanted to know if i could pay myself for the care im giving her. But the way somethings sounds is better not to. I will go and talk with my local social worker and find out the proper steps to be taking in the care of her.

Last edited by flybye33; 04-25-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Closed Thread