It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
(male)

mmkk HB User
Blood Test positive for opiates

What does positive <2000 ng/mL mean? My Dad's wife gave him either Oxydone 80 mg er or Oxycodone 5 mg ir tab.

My Dad is 88 years old and had to be admitted to emergency. He was released after 5 hrs.

Dad's wife habitually over medicates and exercises control over Dad. These medications are for my Dad's wife.

Dad is not prescribed to have Oxycodone.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User
Re: Blood Test positive for opiates

What did the ER doctors say when you mentioned this them? They are the ones that could and should intervene. From what I have read, oxy is not something to mess with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

It ought to be possible to get an RN to visit the house to administer medication . . . and have none in the house or locked up. But, I agree, I would arrange to have your father's physician(s) order this.

Does your father have a medical power of attorney? Since you are having doubts, you might want to look into that kind of thing. If your local government or hospital has someone who deals specifically with issues of aging, that might be a good place to start finding out about measures you might want to take.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

It is extremely dangerous to take another's medication at any age, but especially someone of your father's age. The liver in the elderly cannot breakdown medication as one who is young and in good health. I would caution your father and warn the person who gave the medication of this danger. I would also make my father's doctor aware of this instance as he may need a gentle reminder from his own physician. There are many people in the general population that cannot tolerate codeine medications at all. Codeine in one who is sensitive is extremely dangerous. Also mixing an unauthorized medication with one's own medication regimen is like playing Russian Roulette, that is it needs to be monitored by a health care professional, such as a Doctor or a Pharmacist. Drug interactions and allergic reactions can be deadly. Even over the counter meds can result in some dangerous reactions when mixed with prescription meds or other OTC meds. One needs proper guidance. I would definitely be upset with this person who medicated your father.

Last edited by goldyfm; 06-13-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: addtional thought

Closed Thread