It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

live love laugh HB User
I need help with my Bipolar mother

My mom has been diagnosed as manic depressive/bipolar for years. She has been clean and sober for 25 years and manged her own medication.

Recently she has had trouble managing her meds. In December she got very sick from gal stones and was throwing up off and on for a couple of months. She swore it was her Saraquel and stopped taking them. It was rough getting her back on and since the end of January she has been stabalized. Recently she decided that since her Medicare perscription supplemental plan would run out soon she wouldn't be able to take affor the $600 per month perscription of Saraquel so she would wean herself off. For the past 3 weeks she has been in a mania. She hasn't slept more than 3 nights. She has had a car accident and can't focus enough to get her accident report filled out or take care of the business to do with that. She has been on numerous spending sprees...buying things for her house that is already crowded and packed full of her treasures. She is paying people to help her do everything (laundry, house cleaning, driving her places, picking up furniture). She has scared some of the tenants in her apartment complex.

I don't have a good relationship with her and was raised by my father and my maternal grandmother. I have made a life for myself that is healthier and happier than my childhood. My kids have never been subject to the things I witnessed as a child. I have no problem helping her but need to know what to do.

However, I know that menatally ill, low income people and medicare patients in our society get treated as second class citizens when they are in need. I want to help her and am trying to help now but with little help from her because she is manic. She is on disablility. I have taken her to the ER twice to try and get her admitted to a psychiatric ward to stablizer her meds. She is self medicating with marajuana and vitamins and minerals at the advice of her mentally ill boyfriend. She has very unhealthy relationships and will do just about anything to have a man in her life.

So, my questions?

She says she hates the Saraquel and how it makes her feel. She has been taking 400 mg in the evening before bed. When she is manic her body slows down and her mind keeps racing. I witnessed it the other night and it was sad and scary. After about an hour and half she seemed better and slept through the night. She took lithium for years and it worked but she has damaged kidneys from it. Any suggestions on what to take?

My fear is that we get her stabalized and then she can't afford the meds to keep her that way? I don't know much about Medicare or the supplemental perscription plans available. Where can I go to find out more about this?

She see's a phsyciatric nurse practitioner the other day for the first time (her old one left the program). She is super nice and seems to care and be working to help but since my mom is "new" to her too...I wanted to also work to find answers.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread