It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

bluegreyeyes HB User
Question so confused about my eldery mother's situation ++

my mother is 73yo, on oct 26 she was admitted to hospital with high calcium symptoms (couldn't walk, confused, weak). 4 days later she had a massive LAD heart attack, was resuscitated back to life + she spent the next month in the ICU fighting for her life due to complications (electrolytes would not balance, internal bleeding etc). the pulmonologist said that she would recover back to normal & be able to come home and suggested we put a trach in. on dec 1, she was moved to an inpatient rehab facility... which is an utter mess & disgrace, i realize no nursing home/elder care facilities are state of the art, but this place is horrifying. she is on the waitlist for 2 other places, but neither have openings. she "stopped breathing and turned blue" last week b/c she removed the humidifier piece on her trach and it became obstructed w/phlegm. the dr. at the rehab facility only is there 2x a week, and does not visit with each patient, instead he just reviews their charts.

at this point, she can talk on her own and is mostly there neurologically speaking. she recognizes people, etc. however, physically, she has lost so much weight & strength (she was petite to begin with) that it seems like it will take forever before she can walk and use the rest room by herself. my father and i would like to get her home as soon as possible, and arrange for a visiting nursing service and in-home rehab, but it seems like it will take months.... no one will give us straight answers....

does anyone have any books, websites, or resources i should consult with to figure out how to get straight answers?

they still haven't mentioned the cause of the heart attack or why her electrolytes were out of whack to begin with ... or found the source of the internal bleeding (which almost killed her).... all we know is that NOW her electrolytes are balance and the bleeding has stopped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: so confused about my eldery mother's situation ++

Every state and county has a division of elder affairs. Look in your phone book under the state services or the county services(or your town or city may have them too). Call them. They can help you find all sorts of services in your area and if you can utilize them. It's a great place to start learning about the system. There are as many services for elders as there are for children. Just need to look them up.

I know here in Connecticut(but I don't know about CA)if you call the United Way, they have an Info service that can give you the phone numbers for all sorts of social service agencies. And that is another place to loo....in the yellow pages under social service agencies....look for agencies for the elderly.

If all that fails, try calling Medicare and ask them for help or check the Medicare web site. It too has info.

Good luck and I hope your mom gets well enough to come home.

hugs...........Jenny

Closed Thread