It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Help please, about mother's finances

Hi,
I'm so tired, I know many of you understand the level of exaustion beyond imaginable. I would appreciate any information anyone might have for me. I'm caring for my mom who is in the mid-stage of Alzheimer's. I am her sole caregiver, durable power of attorney, etc.. I recently became aware that I was supposed to be keeping records of where all her money was going. Most everything I've paid by check so I assume those are good records; however, there are a number of things I paid with cash for which I never kept the receipts:

Gas in the car, repairman services (replacement of a basement window, installing a door lock), items at Walmarts, Walgreen's, etc.. My concern is that I never kept receipts for these things paid by cash. Does anyone have any idea, if there comes a time when my mom needs to apply for medicaid in a nursing home, am I going to have a problem because I didn't keep these receipts? It never even occurred me that I was supposed to be keeping such records. Now I'm worried. Anyone know anything about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

mpcsak HB User
Re: Help please, about mother's finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerajoan View Post
Hi,
I'm so tired, I know many of you understand the level of exaustion beyond imaginable. I would appreciate any information anyone might have for me. I'm caring for my mom who is in the mid-stage of Alzheimer's. I am her sole caregiver, durable power of attorney, etc.. I recently became aware that I was supposed to be keeping records of where all her money was going. Most everything I've paid by check so I assume those are good records; however, there are a number of things I paid with cash for which I never kept the receipts:

Gas in the car, repairman services (replacement of a basement window, installing a door lock), items at Walmarts, Walgreen's, etc.. My concern is that I never kept receipts for these things paid by cash. Does anyone have any idea, if there comes a time when my mom needs to apply for medicaid in a nursing home, am I going to have a problem because I didn't keep these receipts? It never even occurred me that I was supposed to be keeping such records. Now I'm worried. Anyone know anything about this?
Hi,

I too am a caregiver for my mom, she is post cancer, stage 4, and we have a ton of other issues.

I also had this problem and after doing some research I sat down and did an estimate of what I paid cash for. Luckily I have an attorney friend that advised this should be ok. Just keep receipts from now on.

Yes I am exhausted. Found this site to hopefully get some support with my issues. I hope things go ok for you and feel free to contact me if you need support.

Polly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks Polly. It's good to know of your attorney friend's advise. Hopefully I will be Ok with that as well.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerajoan View Post
Hi,

I am not a lawyer or accountant, but I think certainly receipts help. However if you don't have any receipts, it is not the end of the world. I think medicaid will ask if she has money in general. If the money was yours, then she is poor and so on. The proof is about her poverty and as long as you can prove that she has no income and relies on you, she could have medicaid provided that she has been in this poor state for 3 years. One cannot have medicaid by just giving all the money to the kids overnight. You can start saving new receipts now. The point is to prove that she needs certain service or medical help and thus the expenses. e.g., her medical expenses for drugs or a cane or paying the caregiver and etc. Just the major ones. I don't think gasoline for the car is that important unless you want to report her or your taxes for transportation deduction.

My FIL has his own pension and etc., so he got his own account although we take care of that for him. He has late Alzheimer's and is incompetent in a nursing home. I didn't keep so much record except his taxes and bank accounts. Fortunately things online sort of show the past records. Now I at times save the check outputs from online account. I am the one that help my husband to handle the finances so it is lots of work here and there from time to time. He is not qualified for medicaid at all.

Hugs,
NC

Last edited by ninamarc; 03-15-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you, NC for your information and support. I have started keeping good records now, and hopefully the expenses I don't have receipts for are minor enough that they won't be a problem. They should give a course in all this. For me, it has been completely learn as I go! Thanks again and sending Hugs!

Closed Thread