It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

cajunlady999 HB User
Question Mother can't hear television

I'm in the process of moving my mother to my home. She's 87 and ready for me to care for her on daily basis.
When I go to visit her now the television is very, very loud and I'm wondering how to solve this problem when she moves in with me.
She will never agree to hearing test. I've tried several times to discuss it with her and she says no and to close the subject. I've read up on several different types of earphones but none seem to be what she will be able to adjust to.The ones that fit on outer ear seem bulky and because she spends most of her time in bed watching tv she will not be able to lay on her side. The ones that fit in the ear have wires and she naps off and on all day and will get tangled in them. I have not seen very many good reviews on either type of earphones.
Don't think she can keep up with closed caption as I have problems keeping up with the words.
Is there a solution to this problem?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

Pattyanne HB User
Re: Mother can't hear television

Wireless "T.V. Ears" should solve the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

cajunlady999 HB User

Thanks so much for the advice.
Do you know where I can purchase them?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
(female)

Pattyanne HB User

Look on line just put the name in a search engine. Also available at CVS--but maybe cheaper on line.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunlady999 View Post
I'm in the process of moving my mother to my home. She's 87 and ready for me to care for her on daily basis.
When I go to visit her now the television is very, very loud and I'm wondering how to solve this problem when she moves in with me.
She will never agree to hearing test. I've tried several times to discuss it with her and she says no and to close the subject. I've read up on several different types of earphones but none seem to be what she will be able to adjust to.The ones that fit on outer ear seem bulky and because she spends most of her time in bed watching tv she will not be able to lay on her side. The ones that fit in the ear have wires and she naps off and on all day and will get tangled in them. I have not seen very many good reviews on either type of earphones.
Don't think she can keep up with closed caption as I have problems keeping up with the words.
Is there a solution to this problem?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time and have a nice day.
I don't know what your Mom's illness is. First of all older people don't want to deal with hearing test or hearing aid and etc., so it is not necessarily a steop to do. Of course you can ask the doctor what is wrong to make sure it is not ear infection and etc.
The other thing is since I don't know what is wrong with her, I need to ask you if she has dementia? Sometimes if she has dementia, she may have trouble understanding TV and thus turn it on loud volume.

My father-in-law has late Alzheimer's and for about one and half year, he had turned on tv with the loudest volume in the house to hear music or news and etc. The caregiver said he has some hearing loss but he hears fine. Any noise outside of his doorstep he hears very well. Not that he hears perfectly. The reason is that he can no longer understand what is going on and he thought the tv is real (the stuff happens in the living room...)
Now he is in a nursing home and he listens to movies with other people in the activity room and I don't think he is very deaf...

This TV wireless ear is good. I hope it will help her but she may not want to wear it. Since she is 87, she may have the issue on dementia.

Regards,
NC

Old 03-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
(female)

cajunlady999 HB User

Mom's hearing has been checked several times this past year and Dr. says it's just normal hearing loss due to old age. Otherwise her health is fine. No dementia and sharp as a tack. Guess if it gets too nerve wracking for me I will try the wireless earphones.
Thanks so very much to all of you for the suggestions and kindness. Have a nice day.

The following user gives a hug of support to cajunlady999:
ninamarc (03-14-2011)
Closed Thread