It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

Bugeorgie HB User
Help

My 74 year old father came to live with us (my husband and my self)5 years ago, at the time he was a single above the right knee amputee and did not require much assistance; about 2 years he lost his left leg (also above the knee) which was an adjustment but we all adapted. Since his last amputation my husband has had several heart attacks and has died three times during these attacks, he is not supposed to pick him up and carry him to the bathroom for baths and other things, but he does it because it needs to be done, I am afraid this strain on his heart will cause another heart attack. I know we need to put my father in a nursing home but just cant bring myself to appraoch him about it. If anyone out there has had a similar experience or can just offer advice please do. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Help

I think there is some service out there. You can get home health care nurse to come home to bathe your Dad. The person can lift him and etc. Also, for the bathtub, you need to get a bath bench so your Dad can sit on it and you can wash him easily. It is better with the bench that hangs from the tub's side.
Your husband should not lift him up like that. First thing is to get the home care service so someone can come to wash him. As an elderly, your Dad does not have to take a shower or bath everyday. twice a week is enough given the ordeal.
Also you can consider sponge bath. A good one is good enough. The professional can show you how to do that.

For nursing home, you may want to ask some professional or friends to talk to him about it positively. In the mean time, you can hire home health nurse or home care CNA to help out. Most caregivers have CNA - nursing assistant certificate.

Hope this helps,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 04-03-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply