It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
(female)

mej1 HB User
Is this what you'd call a caregiver?

I'm trying to determine if these duties fit the description of a caregiver:

Tube feeding the patient
Preparing breakfast and lunchtime meals
Providing medication in a timely manner
Assisting the patient with transfers to and from wheelchair
Assisting the patient with physical therapy and speech exercises
Assisting the patient with whatever they need, including hobbies
Keeping an eye on the patient so they stay out of trouble while recuperating

I'd also like to know if there's a difference in the way full-time position is applied to a caregiver vs. any other job title (like a teacher). Can a full-time caregiver just work 8am to 4 pm and be considered full-time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Is this what you'd call a caregiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post

Tube feeding the patient

I'd also like to know if there's a difference in the way full-time position is applied to a caregiver vs. any other job title (like a teacher). Can a full-time caregiver just work 8am to 4 pm and be considered full-time?
I think the list is sort of correct for caregivers. However some of them sounds like it is for a nurse or therapist. Certain situation needs a nurse or a therapist. e.g., tube feeding may cause infection and the change of tube needs a nurse. I am sure the caregiver adds the food via the tube.
To assist one with therapy is possible if the client needs to practice without the therapist. It also depends on if you have nurse aid certificate.
The full-time definition depends on the places. In a nursing home, there are shifts and I am sure you can get certain full-time position. At home, it varies. However a caregiver's timing is not as rigid as a teacher. Actually it is rather flexible. It has to be flexible because the patient or client may need help at any time. It also depends on the family members when they can come home to release you. In general you can go by certain hours M-F if the patient is not very sick for home care. If the patient is sicker at home, the hour is flexible. I think it goes with the accumulatiing hours, not fixed time.
Sometimes you may need to cook for the patient or take him out for a walk. Or even drive him to a park. Give him a shower or help him to wash his hands and etc.
Some even help out with simple mail or billings.

Hope this helps,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 04-26-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I thnk all fit the description, except for the tube feeding. A LVN would be specially trained in those procedures. Or someone specifically trained in the medical field should be doing those feedings.I caregiver's hours would be more inflexible too. Depending on the needs of the person . If it is a full time position , a 40 hour work week , might include working on the weekends and having different weekdays off. Sometimes their may be needed a caregiver plus a LVN to handle medical related issues. This protects the caregiver in case anything should happen to the client the cregiver would not be held liable.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
(female)

rozzilynn HB User

I Just graduated from the Tech in my town Im a CNA and Caregivers arnt obligated to some of those rights such as tube feeding, admin meds I have not worked as a CNA yet but there are three shifts in the Day. Morning I belive 8-1 afternoons 1-10 and nights 10-7 Im not sure you would have to look where you would like to work at and such sorry if this is very abstract advice I'm new to the program and hoping that this will help =]

Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post

Tube feeding the patient

Are you working for a home care agency or private care ? Are you a certified nursing assistant and/or certified home health aide ? If you're working for a home care agency you need to find out what their regulations are according to state and federal laws( medicare and medicaid) If you're a certified nursing assistant and certified home health aide you cannot administer any medications, give tube feedings, dressing changes or provide any kind of treatment a licensed nurse would give if you're working for a home care agency that receives medicare and medicaid reimbursement funds. When you work for a home care agency they will match you up with a client that wants the same hours you tell the agency you want to work. Most home care agencies have a can't promise you full-time hours unless that is what you were specifically hired for .Private care is a whole different thing because you' re working for that client and not the home care agency and you aren't bound by their regulations and laws. They are good reasons to work for an agency like being bonded and insured, they pay their half of all income taxes,social security,medicare,state disability and state income tax. you' re protected by their regulations and laws of what you can and can't do, as well as your set time schedule with that client and can't go overtime without a supervisor's permission. They don't allow clients to have your private phone number and have to do all their schedules through the agency staffing coordinator. If you're out sick or injured it's the agency responsibilty to get a replacement to cover your shift with that client. If you have a problem with a client asking you to do things you're not suppose to do, you always have a supervisor to back you up if you refuse to do something the client asks and you know it's against agency policies and laws. I have been a Certified Nursing Assistant and Certified Home Health Aide for twenty years in Santa Clara County,California and have worked for many of the biggest agencies in this county and I would say that 98 % of them do a good job and are good to work for.The home health and hospice agency I am currently working for is a community based not for profit agency and I think they do a better job at caring for their clients because it's not all about the almighty dollar it's client focused care ! Their are drawbacks on both sides of the coin,you just have to figure out what is best for your situation.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Working for the agency makes it more legal and the paychecks are not under the table. If one works privately on his/her own as free-lace, the client has to be responsible to pay tax and make sure it is legal and etc. If it is private pay, some people just pay it without any legal binding. This way the person gets paid more without paying tax and it is not legal.
Some people do that.

From the point of the client, I sometimes prefer to hire the person from the agency so they do all the work and it is legal. On the other hand some small agency may not be as legal or honest. A large established agency is better.
Home care is tricky and the clients also have their own requests and etc.
It is a tricky area so the caregiver needs to make sure the contract is written the way you want. Sometimes the caregiver also has to be careful - sometimes the caregiver seems to think the client's house address can be used as the "work" address, which is not true because the caregiver does not live with the client. If they do live with the client, the law says the mail can be with the client's.
I prefer legal way because this way I can report for tax deduction for dementia elders.

Nina

Reply Reply