It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

dinnne HB User
I can't lift her anymore

Occassionally my mom will fall and I am not strong enough to lift her once she's down. Does anyone have any tricks for lifting from the floor? Or is there a company that makes the human equivlent of a tire jack? This "little" problem is the only thing standing between staying at home and being in a nursing home. I really need some advice. Thanks

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: dinnne
Kiatrice (08-06-2011), mimmi (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
(female)

mimmi HB User
Re: I can't lift her anymore

Hi dinnne :=) My mom falls all the time. First I check if she is badly hurt and if not then try to calm her down ( always so much screaming ). I usually get a chair that is stable next to her so that she can get one or both her arms on it. Then I place her legs in a better position to be able to get her on her knees. I do have to lift her from that position.
I have noticed that when I stay calm and do all this in a slow and gentle way everything goes much better (the first times I panicked )

But please do be careful for your own health. A nurse told me that I should call an ambulance when she falls, but I would be calling them several times a week.( I live in Norway and maybe we do it different? ) My mom is not so heavy anymore so I feel that I do have the strength.
If you feel it is impossible to get her up on your own is it possible for you to talk to your or her doctor on advise as who to call for help ?
I wish you the best.
Blessings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

dinnne HB User

Thank you so much. The chair is a great idea. I will try that. She is pretty weak, so she may not b able to help me a lot, but it's worth a try.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Do you walk with her? Even if you don't using a gait belt makes it much easier to keep her up or pick her up when she goes down.

A gait belt is a safety device used for moving a person from one place to another. The belt is also used to help hold up a weak person while they walk. Putting this belt around a person's waist allows helpers to grip it and keep the person from falling. It also decreases the chance of a helper hurting his back while helping a person move or walk.

You really have to make sure you do not hurt yourself when getting her up. If it happens too much, she either shouldn't be walking alone, or shouldn't be walking altogether. Remember if you get hurt, she'd HAVE to go to a nursing home.

Good luck

Pup

Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
(female)

dinnne HB User

thank you so much, I just found ou about the gait belts, so I do have a belt,but once she's on the floor it's not enough. That brings me to another question: after an immobile person uses the toilet, how does one get them up AND get their pants up!? Again, she has almost no strength at all in her legs after the morning hours.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I always hugged with one arm and pulled with the other... BUT if she is unable to bear her own weight when standing it would be unsafe.

It sounds to me like your mom may need a stay at a NH for physical therapy to get stronger. Right now she is a broken hip waiting to happen. She needs to get stronger or you need to have 2 people to help.

Sorry

Pup

Old 05-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #7
(female)

dinnne HB User

We are considering a NH. She is getting in home PT. Thanks for all your advice. I may be posting again soon about NHs.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnne View Post
Occassionally my mom will fall and I am not strong enough to lift her once she's down. Does anyone have any tricks for lifting from the floor? Or is there a company that makes the human equivlent of a tire jack? This "little" problem is the only thing standing between staying at home and being in a nursing home. I really need some advice. Thanks
There is a lift called a hoyer with a nylon sling you put under the patient and hook them up to the lift and either hand pump them or there are some newer hoyers lift that are electric that are usually used in hospitals and nursing homes. Depending on the kind of health insurance your mom has they may pay for it with a doctor's prescription.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
(female)

dinnne HB User
Talking Re: I can't lift her anymore

That is perfect, Thank you! That is just what I was looking for with this post. I will google "hoyer" and see what I find out.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
(female)

tryme22 HB User

try hospice are homw health care they will help assist u with nurses to come help u. and will provide a lift to help lift her up and down. do not try to do this all youself u can ruin your back.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnne View Post

when you have to pick her up off the floor bend your knees and put your right arm under her right arm and with your left hand grab her pants count to 3 and lift her up by her arm and pants she might get a wedgie kind of trust me it works, and also you could buy a gait-belt at a store that sells nurse uniforms its a belt really, and you can put it around her between her waste and under her breasts and pick her up with that you grab the back of it and lift her with that

Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
(female)

shur1 HB User

question how big is your bathroom is there enough room to place a transfer chair next to the toliet? so when she raises up you can pivot her into the transfer chair to catch her?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User

My husband wears his belt all day, although he loosens it when sitting in his wheel chair. I tighten it whenever he 'practice walks' or transfers and keep my hand in the back of it. With a stroke arm that can do nothing, and a stroke leg that he can 'walk' on but can't really manipulate correctly, he honestly cannot assist in getting up. I had his therapist try to teach him how to get up, and as I watched I realized he really COULDN'T get up, period. He actually hurt himself trying to get his stroke leg and foot in the position to get up, which made me feel awful, like he had enough problems already.

Anyway, I watch his feet constantly, while holding the belt behind. I am just a little behind him and can see his feet. Falls start there. The first wobble of either foot, and I pull him toward me. If you aren't paying attention and don't notice till the actually lose balance and start to go over, you may not be able to pull back their full weight and save them.

His physical therapist said we could call 911 if he falls and they'd come out for free and help him up. I'm not sure who that would be... the lifesquad? the police? don't know.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Caregiver For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (06-22-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User

PS - I meant to say that my back used to be continually going out, and I was terrified about that happening with my hubby who could do nothing for himself. The therapists taught me that when I help him transfer or lift him to get up from bed (can't sit up on his own) that I should stick my butt out and up (shouldn't feel at all still tucked under). Not just let it go the way out like you aren't bent over anyway, but more like you are offering it for a good kick. You actually feel something different happens when you stick it out like that, that prevents you from straining your lower back.

Last edited by Sandy Caregiver; 06-22-2012 at 09:57 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Sandy Caregiver:
Phoenix (06-22-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Caregiver For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Sandy,

I must thank you for the good advice;I can tell it was sincere.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Reply Reply