It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

clkauf01 HB User
Activities for person with clear mind in nursing home

Hi,

My mom has recently moved to a nursing home. They do a good job of caring for her physical needs, but she is frustrated and bored and wants to go home. Home just isn't an option as she cannot walk, or move herself from her bed to her wheelchair. She also has MS, and only one of her hands is really functional. Typing is difficult, and she's not a great reader, although I don't really understand why. She has some arthritis in her neck, which may explain some of that.

The problem is her mind is perfectly clear, and the activities in her nursing home are geared towards most of the patients who are not clear minded. She finds the activity demeaning, and hates being forced to socialize. The activity director uses a lot of baby talk, which would drive me batty inside of 30 mintues as well.

So, other than TV and DvDs, she doesn't have much to do. She goes to PT, but that only kills a few hours a day. What she needs is something productive, but her physical limitations are a problem with many work activities. Anyone have ideas that would give her a reason to get up and going in the morning? It would be great if she could be tired when she goes to be at night. Doesn't seem like much to ask for, but I am struggling.

A few ideas I have are:

1. Any lower level college courses directed at seniors?
2. Writing to troops via USO?
3. Writing to other nursing home patients?
4. Being given one of the activity rooms to dust.
5. A container to grow plants in outside that she can call her own.

I think it might help to have a calendar, with scheduled productive activities.

I need ideas to help her find a way to make the best of this difficult situation. I don't blame her for being frustrated, but at some point you need to stop feeling bad, and find some way to enjoy life.

Any thoughts welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Activities for person with clear mind in nursing home

Might it be possible for her to live in a facility that has more clear-minded people? Many nursing homes house dementia patients in one place and people of sound mind in another area, so they talk to each other. Possibly there is an assisted living place able to deal with her level of physical needs?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

I was a caregiver for my grandmother for 6 years. She had R.Arthritis and her hands, feet, back, were really crippled. She was on oxygen 24/7 and weighed 78lbs, was 4'4". My Grandmother liked playing "Hoyle" card games on her computer.(like "go fish", "solitare") She also did email. Maybe you could get her a lap top or regular computer? My grandmother also like to do Suduko puzzles, number crossword books. She also would read some books that weren't too heavy. She liked "Reader's digest" and "National Geographic" I always would encourage people to visit her when it wasn't her nap time (not at 3-5pm) That way she could share with them what she learned from the magazines she read. I loved caring for her. Her mind was the strongest part of her body. Hope some ideas helped.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkauf01 View Post
Hi,

My mom has recently moved to a nursing home. They do a good job of caring for her physical needs, but she is frustrated and bored and wants to go home. Home just isn't an option as she cannot walk, or move herself from her bed to her wheelchair. She also has MS, and only one of her hands is really functional. Typing is difficult, and she's not a great reader, although I don't really understand why. She has some arthritis in her neck, which may explain some of that.

The problem is her mind is perfectly clear, and the activities in her nursing home are geared towards most of the patients who are not clear minded. She finds the activity demeaning, and hates being forced to socialize. The activity director uses a lot of baby talk, which would drive me batty inside of 30 mintues as well.

So, other than TV and DvDs, she doesn't have much to do. She goes to PT, but that only kills a few hours a day. What she needs is something productive, but her physical limitations are a problem with many work activities. Anyone have ideas that would give her a reason to get up and going in the morning? It would be great if she could be tired when she goes to be at night. Doesn't seem like much to ask for, but I am struggling.

A few ideas I have are:

1. Any lower level college courses directed at seniors?
2. Writing to troops via USO?
3. Writing to other nursing home patients?
4. Being given one of the activity rooms to dust.
5. A container to grow plants in outside that she can call her own.

I think it might help to have a calendar, with scheduled productive activities.

I need ideas to help her find a way to make the best of this difficult situation. I don't blame her for being frustrated, but at some point you need to stop feeling bad, and find some way to enjoy life.

Any thoughts welcome.
Did your mom have any hobbies or crafts she likes to do and still is capable of doing ? Talk to the director of nursing or the charge nurse maybe there a other residents that are with it mentally and would like the company of another resident to talk with or play card games ,dominoes, board games, do a craft with. Maybe she could fold some laundry like towels,facecloths,the large cloth absorbent pads used for incontinent patients. Does the nursing home she is in have a computer that the residents are allowed to use that is connected to the internet ? Maybe she could take online college course she would be interested in. If you have a veterans hospital in the area you could find out if she could be a pen pal to a veteran that has no family or friends that come visit him,call or write him. Maybe there is a place outside she could plant some flowers or have a small community vegetable garden if other residents would also like to participate in it with her. Start a food drive for kids that rely on the school breakfast and lunch programs that don't have that during the summer months. Organize art and craft fair put on by the residents to raise funds for a charity or to purchase maybe a new big screen TV for their living or family room area, a piano or organ,etc. the possibilties are endless. I hope this gives you a variety of possible things your mom might be interested in doing or is capable of doing.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

Some nursing homes will allow patients to assist the office personnel with small tasks such as stuffing envelopes, etc, etc. It really helps their self-esteem knowing that they are still usefull.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello C,

Does she have an interest in writing or poetry,or drawing?

Painting,crochet, reading and learning a card game come to mind.

Does the facility allow pets?

Maybe even fish,that she can name.

Just a few ideas.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Reply Reply