It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
(male)

Dadsmyhero20 HB User
Red face sole caregiver/pancreatic cancer/im losing my mind

Im only 20 years old and my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My parents are divorced so I had to leave college to take care of my father fulltime. We've been through surgery, months of chemo and radiation and it seems to be a never ending cycle.

Im not trying to be selfish but it is a 24/7 job and I don't have anytime to myself. Im doing everything I can to hold it all together and keep him happy and comfortable.

To sum it all up im angry, frustrated, and exhausted. Im doing everything I can but all I do is wish I could do more.

I imagine im depressed but im not sure what to do or where to turn...

Im not looking for praise but id greatly appreciate any advice or help from people in similar situations

Thanks to all

The following user gives a hug of support to Dadsmyhero20:
Kiatrice (08-06-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
(male)

tonyinhampshire HB User
Re: sole caregiver/pancreatic cancer/im losing my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadsmyhero20 View Post
Im only 20 years old and my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My parents are divorced so I had to leave college to take care of my father fulltime. We've been through surgery, months of chemo and radiation and it seems to be a never ending cycle.

Im not trying to be selfish but it is a 24/7 job and I don't have anytime to myself. Im doing everything I can to hold it all together and keep him happy and comfortable.

To sum it all up im angry, frustrated, and exhausted. Im doing everything I can but all I do is wish I could do more.

Im not looking for praise but id greatly appreciate any advice or help from people in similar situations

Thanks to all
You sound exhausted and so many millions of carers are in the same situ. Can anyone else help or hospice care. Please go to cancercompass on line and see if you can get advice there too

best wishes

tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

I noticed you live in Massachusetts. Depending on your Dad's health insurance you can hire a personal care assistant to help out in the home. I (got paid by her insurance)provided this service for my grandmother. Perhaps you could be on payroll or hire other family members to help out. Look up Starrvoros (spelling) they are the payroll people. They could help you get in the right direction. Or if you confer with a social worker or a nurse? Talk with them about hired home care through insurance and get to know your resourses. You don't need to go this alone. You are very loving, caring, kind and responsible. You need time to be refreshed so you can be there fully for your Dad when he needs you most. post again so I know if you found some help?ok?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadsmyhero20 View Post

Thanks to all
American Cancer society has caregivers support groups, volunteers to give you some respite time.Talk to a social worker connected through the hospital or cancer center where your dad has gotten treatment. Ask his doctor for doctor's order for some home health care help. They can give you some help in finding some community resources that can give you some help at home.Talk to a hospital chaplin,a pastor,priest,or rabbi to help you cope with the situation. Your dad's health insurance may pay for some home Health care. I was a full-time caregiver for my adopted grandma who had dementia, so I know how hard it can be caring for someone 24/7. Get yourself some help to cope with situation and some respite time for yourself.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
(female)

tryme22 HB User

try hostpice or a home heath care that will send nurses aids out to help you care for him and give you a chance to get out.

Reply Reply

Tags
cancer, caregiver, pancreatic cancer